PDA

View Full Version : Fun in the 'stan

CybrSlydr
March 18th, 2011, 04:00
Here are some pics for ya of me in Afghanistan and the country-side. :)

All is well so far - things are getting interesting though. Getting warmer so the Talli's want to come out and play.33405334043340333402

CybrSlydr
March 18th, 2011, 04:01
And the other two.3340633407

Moses03
March 18th, 2011, 07:15
Be careful out there! :salute:

limjack
March 18th, 2011, 07:36
If it wasn't for the war it looks like a cool place to explore from your pictures. Like Moses said, stay safe and thanks for the pics.

Jim

deathfromafar
March 18th, 2011, 10:20
I see you guys have Multicam. How's the material(& colors) holding up to fading and general wear?

TARPSBird
March 18th, 2011, 11:00
It's fun... until somebody gets blown up.
What a desolate place. Thanks for the pics Cybr, my son hasn't sent me any yet. Stay safe. :USA-flag:

papab
March 18th, 2011, 12:14
The mountains are beautiful...

You stay safe and thank you again for your service to your Country :salute:

Rick

Daveroo
March 18th, 2011, 14:50
i hear Afganistan is a beautifull place....shame theres a war and yer not just there for fun...come back safe buddy....and that first pic with the sweat....at first i thought it was a tear....but shhhhhhhhhhhh

Tracon
March 18th, 2011, 20:00
I also thought it was a tear at first, but alas it's something much more.

Take care of yourself out there, shoot some stuff for me, and come back to your family on your own two feet.:salute:

HouseHobbit
March 18th, 2011, 20:57
Here are some pics for ya of me in Afghanistan and the country-side. :)

All is well so far - things are getting interesting though. Getting warmer so the Talli's want to come out and play.33405334043340333402

CYA ( Cover Your A$$) as we said during my days in the Army..

God Bless.... May you be safe and well..
BRAVO..
:salute: :salute: :salute:

Astoroth
March 19th, 2011, 00:40
Cyber,

Thanks for checking in, now keep your head down and come back in one piece, you hear? Thanks for your service!

CybrSlydr
March 19th, 2011, 02:06
i hear Afganistan is a beautifull place....shame theres a war and yer not just there for fun...come back safe buddy....and that first pic with the sweat....at first i thought it was a tear....but shhhhhhhhhhhh

Actually, that's an impression on my nose from the eyepro I wear - the helmet presses down on the tops into my nose sometimes - when that pic was taken, it was a balmy 40 or so. Definitely not sweat yet. :D

Yes, the country side is barren, desolate and strikingly beautiful. Lots of open expanses to see lots of mountains, villages dotting the terrain, etc.

Death - so far it's holding up well enough. Get some dirt on you and you really do blend in quite well, so the fading actually helps. I also got 4 of the new ACS - Army Combat Shirts. You wear it in place of the t-shirt and blouse. It's a flame-resistant, wicking sport-like shirt. Really quite nice. Reinforced elbows, zip pockets on the biceps... We call 'em "Muscle Shirts" as they fit tight and show off any of the pudge. :D

Thanks for the replies folks. :) This place really looks interesting on the 01-07 ECP Guard Shift when there's a clear sky and full moon. Sunrise here is pretty neat. :)

rayrey10
March 19th, 2011, 04:30
Thanks for posting some pics. Stay safe and Godspeed!

CybrSlydr
March 19th, 2011, 19:05
A couple more for ya. :)3352633527

robert41
March 20th, 2011, 20:53
Stay safe Cybr.

CybrSlydr
March 23rd, 2011, 05:54
Quite possibly the first and last time you will EVER see me with a mustache!

Happy 'stache - http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybrslydr/5551611085/

Serious 'stache - http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybrslydr/5551613853/

Little Chacha
March 23rd, 2011, 07:52
Thank you for sharing your photos. As everyone said: Stay safe. And come back home a winner. Me and my Mom (and my classmates too) pray for you people out there. God bless you. I clicked on your flickr pictures and saw your little cousin AVA. I pray she is well. Keep posting, I will show my class about you (on our show and tell). From Hannah. :wavey:

Cazzie
March 23rd, 2011, 08:25
Great photos Cybr, thanks for sharing them with us folks in a calmer environment. You take care young man. :salute:

Caz

CybrSlydr
March 24th, 2011, 08:19
Thank you for sharing your photos. As everyone said: Stay safe. And come back home a winner. Me and my Mom (and my classmates too) pray for you people out there. God bless you. I clicked on your flickr pictures and saw your little cousin AVA. I pray she is well. Keep posting, I will show my class about you (on our show and tell). From Hannah. :wavey:

Thank you, Hannah. :) I really appreciate it - I'll make sure to pass along your thoughts and comments to the others in my platoon.

As for Ava, March 23rd was actually the 1yr anniversary of the date she was diagnosed with her cancer. Her original prognosis was very bad, but she got into a clinical trial and has been getting better and better. In the beginning, a year was unthinkable due to the condition she was in.

Update on the Mustache competition - I was picked to go in the "Molestache" category - and lost. Thankfully. lol

Tomorrow, it's gone! :)

Toastmaker
March 24th, 2011, 13:03
Yes, get rid of that thing. Those are only for dandys and Spanish dancers. . .

:running:

CybrSlydr
March 27th, 2011, 22:57
Good news - 'stache is gone. :D

txnetcop
March 28th, 2011, 00:06
Hey buddy keep your head down and your arse in gear! That buzzing sound you hear around ya ain't hornets! Come home safe. We are praying for all you guys! Keep them pics coming. Man things sure have changed...over half my pics were confiscated.
Ted

Little Chacha
March 28th, 2011, 08:05
Thank you, Hannah. :) I really appreciate it - I'll make sure to pass along your thoughts and comments to the others in my platoon.

As for Ava, March 23rd was actually the 1yr anniversary of the date she was diagnosed with her cancer. Her original prognosis was very bad, but she got into a clinical trial and has been getting better and better. In the beginning, a year was unthinkable due to the condition she was in.

Update on the Mustache competition - I was picked to go in the "Molestache" category - and lost. Thankfully. lol

Tomorrow, it's gone! :)

The Grade Four Class of My Teacher's lead pray for you all soldiers of our country, especially your team (there is another word for that I forgot- infant soldiers). OK We also shared you to our Grade 5 students. And we included AVA that she completely heal. Keep your pictures coming. Hannah. :wavey:

CybrSlydr
April 1st, 2011, 05:50
Currently making an album of all the pics I've taken in Afghanistan on my Flickr account.

Just look for CybrSlydr and my Afghanistan 2011 set. :)

EDIT: Here ya go.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybrslydr/sets/72157626205272993/

rayrey10
April 2nd, 2011, 04:49
Thanks for sharing the pics. Looks like you got 5 Star accomodations. :bump:

CybrSlydr
April 2nd, 2011, 19:20
The big place was in Manas where we flew in after Leipzig. We stayed there for about 3 days before we flew in-country.

Snuffy
April 2nd, 2011, 20:18
Thanks for sharing Jordan!

Hows the thumb doing? :D

Cloud9Gal
April 3rd, 2011, 06:12
Nice to hear from you Jordan~

Stay safe and thank you for what you do for your country~ http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-love070.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Crusader
April 3rd, 2011, 06:22
Jordan :

From one Buckeye to the other , when you get out of the "Sand Pit" and possibly go back to the Columbus area(visit/leave or ?) , PM me and we'll get together in the Capital city area and the first couple rounds are on me . I'm not that far away . Stay safe and keep your head on a swivel .

BTW: When does the hot season start over there ? (Weather)

Rich:ernae:

CybrSlydr
April 3rd, 2011, 19:01
Snuffy - the thumb isn't blue anymore! It's just straight emo-black. lol Hurt like a bitch for about a week, but now it doesn't hurt. Everyone says I'm going to lose the nail.

C9G - thanks. :)

Crusader - I'm definitely going to hit up Columbus, too many friends up there to not head back for a day or so. I'll certainly look to hit you up when I get the chance. :) Thanks! The hot season should be starting in about a month or so. Currently it's about mid-70s during the day and low 40s at night.

Panther_99FS
April 3rd, 2011, 19:49
Cybr,
We strung up clotheline and hung issue blankets on 'em in the isles to make for a bit of privacy.....

alain95
April 4th, 2011, 12:52
I was told that a thick mustache can make a good filter against sand or dust :icon_lol:
but sometimes it's healthy to change a filter. I don't know personally any french
soldier there but if you encounter them let's give five from a Simouthouse
compatriot :salute:
If your nail doesn't hurts anymore there is chance that you'll keep it, it will turns
white while continue growing. Meanwhile if you feel it again you can try to pierce
it to extract the emo-black blood inside, you can use a red-hot needle (it hardly hurts),
for my part I succeed with a razor blade, the blood escapes followed by the pain.

I wish you to be back home entire and safe
Alain95

CybrSlydr
April 7th, 2011, 20:41
Alain - thanks for the input! It's well past time I could do anything for it though, so I'll just have to let it grow out and fall off and regrow. -shrug- Thanks for the kind words. :)

Panther - I currently have my poncho liner and poncho tucked into the bed to provide some privacy in such a way. :D

CybrSlydr
April 10th, 2011, 23:31
I put up a new pic of me in my kit for ya. Not much to photograph as it's been nothing but rainy the past few days.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybrslydr/5609290754/