PDA

View Full Version : FX drop outs

gothtog
March 16th, 2011, 22:38
I have an FX problem that has been dogging me ever since I've been playing CFS2. I'm in desperate need of help from you pros and experts out there!!
Ever since I've been adding stuff to CFS2, I've had the problem of combat FX (i.e., the flash of explosions and fireballs) dropping out when starting or restarting the game. It's most evident in single missions. They eventually return after the game 'settles', usually after playing several single missions interspersed with quick combat sessions and minimalizing & returning to the game several times. Sometimes, like now, the settling period can be quite extensive. Any idea what is causing this? Is it the new FX files, the effects.cfg file, the CFS2.cfg file, or Windows (XP) setting?

Shessi
March 17th, 2011, 00:00
Hi G,
Sounds like you may have a low amount or high-use RAM memory or processor issue.

What processor and RAM, and how much RAM are you using?

Several things, try putting ALL the display settings back to factory spec, and make sure the FX are at the correct default number/level in your scenery library. See if this makes a difference.

If not, and before CFS2-ing, try turning off any processes/services you don't need, unloading the processor and RAM.

I used to get this with my old PII and on odd occasions with a P4.

Let us know.

Cheers

Shessi

simonu
March 17th, 2011, 16:28
Hi there, another slant on this if I may,

Assuming you are running a modern PC and not some antique Pentium2 or 486, and have reasonable graphic card. Try the following.

Go to CFS2 Settings Display Advanced Settings.
On the Hardware Tab set up your screen size how you like and check all the accelerator, tri linier filtering anti alizing, T&L, Mips and whot not. On the Image quality check everything and turn all the sliders up. Basically MAX it out.

Click OK.

The last bit is very important

Back on the Main Settings page be sure to uncheck Auto-performance Adjustment.

Now go fly a heavy mission with loads going on.

Hopefully you will be gobsmacked how good it looks

But

If you get a slide show you need to rack some of those advanced image quality settings back a bit.
Start with what ever is least important to you like shadows and object texture size.

The explanation is

Auto-performance Adjustment.

was intended to make CFS2 run on the affor mentioned antique Pentium2 or 486