PDA

View Full Version : EARTHQUAKE ROLL CALL !!!!!!

sc7500
March 11th, 2011, 06:05
Because this is an International Forum, it only seems fitting that we keep tabs on our friends in the Pacific Quake Area.

PLEASE check in today when there's time and let us know you are safe - Yes, Talon, that includes YOU - and stay away from stuff that falls ! :salute:

SC
:kilroy:

leroy10
March 11th, 2011, 06:10
I sent an email to Talon earlier telling him to head for high ground but I haven't had a reply yet. I'm not sure if he's in the US or back in Hawaii?

Anyone heard from Usio-san??

Lindsay

Jagdflieger
March 11th, 2011, 07:25
Or Talos and Igacci?

I saw on the news this morning that the Kyoto News Agency is reporting 88,000 people missing now.

igacci
March 11th, 2011, 08:05
Hi, friends.

Thanks to my guardian I'm back home alive.

Tokyo suffered relatively less damage and is now recomposing.
People are calm and in an order.
My families and relatives, too.

I was gathering information while going back home.
Nothern part of the pacific side of Japan received devastating damage by both record-breaking arthquakes (yes, not a single one) and an imediate follow of a tidal wave.
I'm too shocked and still can't believe the video that a tide is swallowing a hole village within a couple of minutes, sweeping it away completely.
The news said the flood arrived in no more than a minute after the quake.
There were little time for them to evacuate to rising ground...

We are confident that we are best-prepared against earthquakes in the world.
But actually we are so fragile against tsunamis.

Situation is becoming worse as it's cold for March, it became even colder after evening came down .

Friends, plz keep your fingers crossed and say a prayer to them underneth the freezing air.

Regards

Daisuke

Shadow Wolf 07
March 11th, 2011, 11:00
I sent an email to Talon earlier telling him to head for high ground but I haven't had a reply yet. I'm not sure if he's in the US or back in Hawaii?

Anyone heard from Usio-san??

Lindsay

Talon moved to higher ground towards the end of the summer. If he had time, I'm sure he took his boat out to sea. I haven't seen him on skype.

Jagdflieger
March 11th, 2011, 12:43
We are relieved and glad that you and your family is OK Igacci.

The film footage on the news shows terrible destruction from the Tsunami as well as some damage from the earthquake.

It now looks like there is some damage to one of the nuclear power plants and that there may be a release of some radioactive material into the atmosphere.

Dirtman
March 11th, 2011, 14:52
Talon moved to higher ground towards the end of the summer. If he had time, I'm sure he took his boat out to sea. I haven't seen him on skype.

I was speaking with him late last night, a few hours before the earthquake ... he was at home. (shortly after you signed off & Rami split because he was on "diaper patrol" once again)

Don't worry about Al ...because s!*t floats Bro; and we know he's full of it!!
And remember the last time he fell into the ocean? - it spit him back out onto the boat!

..... 33043

So how's the DVA party ... poker game ... drunken orgy ... hooker-fest ... conference going?

Do you have scantily clad nurses jumping out of cakes?

..... 33044 ... 33046 ... 33044

dmaloof
March 11th, 2011, 14:56
Does usio live in quake area? Anyone heard from him?

Talon
March 11th, 2011, 18:25
As soon as I heard about a possible tsunami headed our way we headed out to sea. It's one of the safest places to be because the tsunami builds as it gets to the shallow water by the land. We had plenty of warning and were over 20 miles out when it hit. Tomorrow we will go back to harbor to be on the safe side. The ocean still stays rough for hours and there are rip tides and so forth.

Dirtman there is a time for Humor and this is not a time for IT. I have seen the destuctive force of the Ocean,Earthquakes and Volcano eruptions first hand and there is no humor in it.

Alot people have been lost and My Prayers go out to them and their Families and Loved ones.

Lindsay,Thanks for the e-mail but I couldn't reply at the time because my e-mail went down right after I read yours.

Talon

peperez
March 11th, 2011, 20:33
Good news!

"Hi Peperz

Thank you for your concern!
I'm now stacked in a McDonald's on my way home.
Public transportation is all stoped.
It seems I have to spend a night here in McDonald's.

Tokyo is OK. Except a town-scale blackout in some area.

I'm more concern about Yashico, who is living in northern Japan, closer to the epi-center of the quake than Tokyo.

I'll PM you again when I get back home.

Cheers

Daisuke"

Time to pray for Yashiko.

Thanks God

Pepe

mariereid
March 12th, 2011, 00:12
I'm glad your safe! :salute:

mariereid
March 12th, 2011, 02:22
Yes, let's pray for him and all our friends from that part of our world. It was not a pleasant thing to see on TV. I cannot imagine going through something like that. We can only hope that those who have lost loved ones, their homes and everything else will be able to heal quickly and move forward. All we can do is offer help and hope you will get over your loss and find nothing but happiness for the rest of your lives.

igacci
March 12th, 2011, 03:39
It now looks like there is some damage to one of the nuclear power plants and that there may be a release of some radioactive material into the atmosphere.

Right now the gov. spokesperson said it's not in critical situation for the mean time.
The explosion is caused by some-how-leaked hydrogen and atmospheric oxigen mix.
The core (pressured container) stays intact.

BTW, I had a phone call from Yashico this afternoon.
He is very OK.
Algthough the electricity is out in whole Akita city, life line (water, food, gas) is OK.
(He was complaining that general shops were down and inconvenient.)

Regards

Daisuke

SgtT
March 12th, 2011, 04:34
Hope everyone is doing Ok and wish for a speedy recovery. A disaster like this pulls people together I hope everyone keeps safe.

T.

Cody Coyote
March 12th, 2011, 07:53
Good to hear that our friends abroad are all OK. Our prayers go out to everyone impacted by this tragedy.

Hats off to you SC for starting this thread. We are an international forum and what affects one affects us all in a way.

Jean Bomber
March 13th, 2011, 05:43
Friends, plz keep your fingers crossed and say a prayer to them underneth the freezing air.

We do it ,worried by the future quake replicas that will come and about the nuclear risks ,I'm also admirative about the behavour of the japanese people in front of a so big disaster.

JP

igacci
March 14th, 2011, 01:04
Right now, I had a Skype chat with Akemi.
He is fine.

Regards

Daisuke

kelticheart
March 14th, 2011, 04:47
I am relieved to see most of our SOH's friends from Japan are safe and in good health. Still I haven't seen news about Talos2005 and Usio, I wish we could know about their fate.

Domo arigato, Daisuke for keeping up posted. Please, keep us updated about the nuclear threat as well.

Japan's people are constantly in our prayers here in Italy. In this country we know very well what an earthquake can do, although the magnitude of Japan's event is mind-blowing. My hometown had a taste of it, two years ago. Although only minor damages were experienced, holding on to your chair while your floor is dancing to a spirited tune it's no fun at all, as Talon rightly pointed out, there's no humor in it.

Let me add my countrymen's and my admiration, as all Italian networks and newspapers are highly praising Japanese people's great demonstration of dignity, composure and quiet courage while facing such a horrible disaster. May all victims rest in peace.

Stefano "kelti" Denti

Ghostrider
March 14th, 2011, 09:51
Good thoughts and karma going out to the souls of many-isled Japan.

Rami
March 14th, 2011, 19:59
Hi,

Once again, I am overjoyed to hear that everyone is okay.

CrisGer
March 14th, 2011, 21:35
glad to hear people are safe and ok, it is a huge challenge but the Japanese people are strong, brave and help each other tremendously in such times. I have the utmost admiration for the nation and the people. The collegues that I know in Tokyo area and other places are all ok so far, tho it was indeed terrible up north, and many still missing. But they have rescued 12,000 as of today and the search continues. Let us pray for them all. thanks for this thread this was very considerate.

PomBee
March 15th, 2011, 03:22
We have friends in Japan made when my Wife worked in Japanese support. Thankfully, they all seem to be OK, but they're all shocked by what has happened to their country.

I want to offer my best wishes to all of our Japanese members and their families.

Be safe, Guys.

PomBee.

sc7500
March 15th, 2011, 10:27
...Good to hear that our friends abroad are all OK. Our prayers go out to everyone impacted by this tragedy... Hats off to you SC for starting this thread. We are an international forum and what affects one affects us all in a way...

Never a challenge When Friends are Concerned.

Just saw this posted, thought I'd send it up....

Best
SC
:kilroy:

Typhoon Willy
March 15th, 2011, 12:09
Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody's heard from Yashico-san or Ito-san?

TW

Ravenna
March 16th, 2011, 17:04
Just heard from Toru (Talos 2005). He is safe and well and asks us to pray for his people. There is no doubting the resilience grace and tenacity of the Japanese people, but the impact of these disasters is going to bite deep for a long time in many places.

CrisGer
March 16th, 2011, 22:15
Here is the most detailed and up to date news, with actual facts...it appears that the doomsday predicted by some of the US news hounds is a bit off the mark...it appears that the Japanese authorities are indeed doing all that can be done..and some of it appears to be close to working..

Tokyo -- Japanese forces used helicopters Thursday and planned to bring in water cannons, part of their urgent and reconfigured effort to avert a nuclear disaster at its quake-damaged Fukushima Daiichi plant.
Officials from the government and the plant's owner, Tokyo Electric Power Company, said Thursday that cooling down the facility's No. 3 reactor was top priority.
Japanese Defense Minister Toshimi Kitazawa, in conjunction with Prime Minister Naoto Kan, said he decided early Thursday to address the crisis from the air and ground despite concerns about exposing workers to radiation.
"We could not delay the mission any further, therefore we decided to execute it," Kitazawa told reporters.
Helicopters made four passes in about a 20-minute span Thursday morning, dropping 7.5 tons of seawater each time on the reactor in order to cool its overheated fuel pool. Kitazawa said 11 special water cannon trucks, along with one from Tokyo's police department, should arrive at some point Thursday to spray water at the No. 3 unit from the ground.
While Kitazawa said "the criteria has been satisfied," other officials said they were still collecting to determine what effect, if any, the dumping of water had.
Since a 9.0-magnitude earthquake and tsunami devastated northeast Japan Friday, officials have been working to resolve cooling problems at four of Fukushima's six reactors.
On Wednesday, Gregory Jaczko, the head of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission told Congress that spent fuel rods in the No. 4 reactor had been exposed because there "is no water in the spent fuel pool," resulting in the emission of "extremely high" levels of radiation.
But Japanese authorities disputed Jaczko's assertion, citing information gathered from a helicopter flight over the plant.
"We have been able to confirm that there is water in the spent nuclear fuel pool," a Tokyo Electric official said Thursday. "But we do not know how much water."
Also Thursday, engineers were planning to begin the process of restoring power to the stricken nuclear complex using power lines from outside. It lost power when the quake struck.
"This is one of the high-priority issues that we have to address," said an official with Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency.
Once the power supply has been re-established, the cooling system will be operated using seawater, he said. But he warned that the process will not be immediate.
"It will take time to restore the function of the main part of the facilities, because the pumps were contaminated by seawater and must be repaired before reuse," he said, adding that temporary pumps would be used initially.
A Japanese government spokesman, Noriyuki Shikata, warded off fears of an imminent meltdown, telling CNN Thursday, "We have not seen a major breach of containment" at any of the plant's troubled nuclear reactors.
A meltdown occurs when nuclear fuel rods cannot be cooled and the nuclear core melts. In the worst-case scenario, the fuel can spill out of the containment unit and spread radioactivity through the air and water.
That, public health officials say, can cause both immediate and long-term health problems, including radiation poisoning and cancer.
Asked about the report of a high level of radioactivity near the plants -- which may be related to at least a partial meltdown in some reactors -- Shikata said, "We have not seen the level that is, for example, dangerous to human bodies beyond the very close vicinity of the reactors."
Experts and Japanese authorities feared that overheating and evaporation of water in spent fuel pools around the plant could lead to the release of further radiation.
The International Atomic Energy Agency said the temperature of water in spent fuel pools is typically kept below 25 degrees Celsius (77 degrees Fahrenheit). That requires a constant cooling source, which requires a constant power source -- both unavailable at the damaged plant.
"The concern about the spent fuel pools at Fukushima Daiichi is that sources of power to cool the pools may have been compromised," the agency, whose chief Yukiya Amano is heading to Japan, said.
On Tuesday, temperatures at the the fuel pools in Unit 4, 5 and 6 all registered far above the recommended levels: 84 degrees C; 60.4 degrees C and 58.5 degrees C respectively, the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency said.
By the following day, it was reporting "no data" for Unit 4 and worrying trends for the other two:
Unit 5 had risen to 62.7 degrees C and Unit 6 to 60 degrees C.
The water in the fuel pool served to both cool the uranium fuel and shield it. But once the uranium fuel was no longer covered by water, the zirconium cladding that encases the fuel rods heated, generating hydrogen, said Robert Alvarez, senior scholar at the Institute for Policy Studies and a former official with the Department of Energy.
That caught fire, resulting in a situation that is "very, very serious," he told CNN.
He said the next step may involve the remaining 180 nuclear plant workers taking heroic acts.
"This is a situation where people may be called in to sacrifice their lives," Alvarez said. " It's very difficult for me to contemplate that but it's, it may have reached that point."
Beyond guarding against further contamination, a parallel focus Thursday was determining how much radiation had already seeped into the atmosphere.
Tests on tap water in Fukushima city, 80 kilometers (50 miles) away, found radiation, though at levels not harmful to the human body, and later tests showed no radiation in the water, Japanese government officials said.
In Washington, U.S. military officials said they had deployed a plane to assist in detecting radioactive materials in the atmosphere around Japan.
About 200,000 people living within a 20-kilometer radius of the plant have been evacuated; those living 20 to 30 kilometers from the site have been told to remain inside. Authorities also have banned flights over the area.

Pen32Win
March 16th, 2011, 23:06
First off it's great to hear that so far, all of our friends in the community are OK. The next thing that strikes me is that though there has been a major event there is no rioting, no social break down. Why? In my life’s experience it leads me to believe it is two things the Japanese people have that all others should learn from, self reliance and self discipline. I wholly commend the Japanese people’s behavior in the face of such an epic tragedy. In my mind it is something worthy of recognition and honor.

igacci
March 17th, 2011, 00:58
We are watching for JSDF's effort to settle down nuclear plant's emmergency.
My utmost respect to the task team who are trying to bring the coolant in the spent nulear fuel pool, despite the risk of exporsure to the radiation.:salute:

In Tokyo, we have "planned blackout" once or twice a day in turns.
Yet still, situation is better than Tohoku area.
There is possible large-scale blackout tonight since demand of electricity for heating is the highest in last 7 days. I'm going to make it ready for tonight's blackout.

Immediate concern is people's stockpiling of daily supplies in metropolitan area.
I can't find milk, batteries, rice and toilet paper.
I understand food and batteries but... why toilet paper????
I can see, that a few weeks later, after situation got better, we are watching a huge pile of rolls of toilet paper in the stock room, that is 6 month worth amount, thinking why we did such a silly thing.

Riots and looting are not reported so far. That is thankful in desperate situation.
They are hurt so badly, but they are in a peaceful order.

Good news is that a railway track is now ready to convey supplies to pacific side of Tohoku, bypassing around the west coast of Japan.
Arterial roadways are being fixed, too.
Major resupply activity will soon start (I hope).

Last but not least, I have unexpected days off, since the factory is out of order.
I have time for working on Ju-388. It may sound imprudent at desperate time, but I would like to show that I'm doing fine, both in the real-world life and in the sim.

Ragards

Daisuke

CrisGer
March 17th, 2011, 07:42
Daisuke, I am so very glad you are doing ok. I have the greatest admiration and respect for the strength and courage of Japan in this event.... and I am very hopeful that the brave people working on the crisis up north will be successful in helping as many people as possible and preventing further trouble. That is great news to hear the rail route is working and that the roads are being so quickly repaired. I know many will be grateful for food and supplies. Sorry about the toilet paper, I had wondered about that. Take care and I appoligize for the very slanted and arrogant approach of some of the US news media, they treat such crisis and tragedy as a way to advance their careers by using extreme language and criticizing other countries and people in ways they have no right to. They are rude and not representative of many of us here in the US who greatly respect and admire Japan. Take care and pls keep us posted.

CrisGer
March 19th, 2011, 09:03
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Pacific/2011/0319/Japan-nuclear-crisis-Closer-to-stabilization-but-what-about-food-supply

good news finally. the reactors are stabalizing in spite of ranting about end of the world from CNN and Fox...

and the shelters are improving. Glad to see this.