PDA

View Full Version : Attention all FDG B-17 users...

Rami
March 10th, 2011, 12:19
Good afternoon,

With permission from both Kelticheart and Pen32Win, I have made approved modifications to his prop texture and exhaust effects package for the FDG B-17.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=47&id=2391

Included in the package now are revised .cfg and .air files by Pen32Win that eliminate unnecessary entries in the .cfg which were responsible for the "porpoising" of the B-17 at altitude, slowing her forward speed and causing frequent crashes.

I also altered the .air, .cfg, and .dp files to allow for the proper weight for each model and altered the [MISC.DATA] sections to allow for the proper bombing heights. You can now take the B-17F up to about 37,000 feet in mission builder, and the B-17G can soar to nearly 35,000 feet. This will allow you to bomb from "nosebleed" heights if you so choose to.

This consolidates all of the modifications into one package, making the installation process much easier. I hope you enjoy!

Thanks once again to Kelticheart and Pen32Win for their go-aheads to make this a reality! :ernae:

Jean Bomber
March 10th, 2011, 13:15
Thanks Rami, Kelti, and Pen to upgrade this essential plane! :ernae:
JP

Discus
March 10th, 2011, 17:28
Many thanks to all three of you.

Cheers, Discus

Jagdflieger
March 10th, 2011, 19:47
Great news Rami. This'll make the work of the Luftwaffe all that much more dificult.

_486_Col_Wolf
March 11th, 2011, 12:17
Tried these out today....They work great! Much better framerate than the B-17's I was using.

Thanks Rami

_486_Col_Wolf

Morton
March 12th, 2011, 11:27
Just GREAT!!!

Mort

kelticheart
March 14th, 2011, 03:48
Hi folks!

I have a small question for you B-17 pilots. Talon's missions for PHP2's Pearl scenario require the installation of FDG2's B-17E "Chief Seattle", which I never used up until I created my early PTO install to accomodate Pearl Harbour. So far, I only flew the F and G models in my ETO install.

To my surprise, as soon as I bring "Chief Seattle" on the runway in Free Flight, she starts leaning over forward, as shown below, until she stands on her nose with her tail up in the air and it looks like she's slowly sinking in the runway.

The other FDG2's B-17F and G are fine, I never saw such a bizarre phoenomena before, is this happening to yours as well? Did I miss any update or fix for FDG2's B-17 pack?

Cheers!
KH :ernae:

Ghostrider
March 14th, 2011, 06:04
Hey Kelti,:salute:

I actually made the B-17 mission, which, of course, starts in the air - didn't have that issue - was able to land successfully, (if I could evade the Zekes). Hmmm... Are you taxiiing onto the runway and then this happens? I'm at work, but will check this when I get home.

kelticheart
March 14th, 2011, 10:41
Hey Kelti,:salute:

I actually made the B-17 mission, which, of course, starts in the air - didn't have that issue - was able to land successfully, (if I could evade the Zekes). Hmmm... Are you taxiiing onto the runway and then this happens? I'm at work, but will check this when I get home.

Hi GR,

thanks for your reply! It happens as soon as FF puts the aircraft on the runway, I have just the time to see the 2d panel and the plane starts leaning forward until her nose touches the ground.

Cheers!

Ghostrider
March 14th, 2011, 11:42
Hi GR,

thanks for your reply! It happens as soon as FF puts the aircraft on the runway, I have just the time to see the 2d panel and the plane starts leaning forward until her nose touches the ground.

Cheers!

Does your pilot need to go easy on the tiramisu? :icon_lol:

I'll see if I have the same issue - but the solution is definitely above my pay grade, as they say.

Talon
March 14th, 2011, 11:48
Kelti,

I've been doing some missions with the B-17E and have had no problems with it. I tried it in FF and still no problems. As a matter of fact I use the Chief Seattle for skipbombing and level bombing in the "Battle of the Bismarck Sea" and my "Pearl What If" missions.

Talon

sc7500
March 14th, 2011, 14:09
...as soon as I bring "Chief Seattle" on the runway in Free Flight, she starts leaning over forward, as shown below, until she stands on her nose with her tail up in the air and it looks like she's slowly sinking in the runway...

This is typical of a Center of Gravity issue, Stef - IMO, the engines are located too far forward in the AIR file, causing the plane to be nose heavy.

In your Aircraft.cfg file, try replacing the with the following - don't OVERWRITE your existing entry, just [;;] comment it out for reference !

[GeneralEngineData]
//0=Piston, 1=Jet, 2=None, 3=Helo-Turbine, 4=Rocket, 5=Turboprop
engine_type = 0
fuel_flow_scalar = 1.00000
min_throttle_limit = 0.00000
engine.0 = 5, -21, -0.5,
engine.1 = 7, -10, -1.25,
engine.2 = 7, 10, -1.25,
engine.3 = 5, 21, -0.5,

[The numbers correspond to FWD/Back | Left/Right | Up/Down]

And report back, please !

Best
SC
:kilroy:

Ghostrider
March 14th, 2011, 16:26
No problems here, Kelti,

This could also possibly be a DP issue - depending on the DP file you're using, if hardpoints and bombs are too far forward, they could do this - one of my early B-29 DPs caused the aircraft to do a "wheelie" on the runway and explode, because the ordnance was too far aft with the B-29's tricycle landing gear. You might try a different payload, or a different DP file. Let us know how it turns out!

Rami
March 14th, 2011, 19:50
Kelti,

I have tried to replicate your problem, and simply can't get the B-17 to tip over!