PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal changes in ETO terrain?

vonOben
March 6th, 2011, 04:01
Hi

How does the seasonal changes work in ETO? :confused:

When I select autumn or winter in QC I don't see any difference, are there no winter textures in ETO?

I would like to get rid of the white tiles showing up at the horizon and the white snowy city tiles showing in autumn, which I asked about earlier in this thread:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?50161-Some-newbie-questions

I did a test where I edited cfs3europe.xml and changed the winter season to WinterSeason="12,1,47.0,56.0". I placed the edited file in the asset folder and made a test in QC during autumn. Now the white tiles where gone and it looked much better! :)

What I would like to achieve is that ETO use the summer tiles for the distant tiles and for the city tiles during autumn.
Is there a better way than changing the cfs3europe.xml?

Cheers
:ernae:

vonOben

greycap.raf
March 6th, 2011, 04:59
As stupid as this may sound, wouldn't it be easier to just find the winter texture and replace it with a copy of the corresponding summer texture? I believe the winter textures reside in terrains/cfs3pct2.zip if someone wants to have a crack at it.

vonOben
March 8th, 2011, 02:35
Hi

Personally I would like to use winter textures in the winter, but I would like some advice how to do it.
Does anyone know how to do that and how to use the summer tiles for the distant tiles and for the city tiles during autumn in ETO?

Cheers
vonOben

vonOben
March 10th, 2011, 02:24
Does anyone know, please? :salute:

Cheers

vonOben

vonOben
March 14th, 2011, 03:35
Hi

I've done some investigation myself checking the terrain sdk, the landclasses.xml and the dds terrain files in ETO. I've also tested the deafault CFS3 terrain changes in CQ.
Autumn and spring have the same terrain as winter and summer and there is no reference to anything else than summer and winter in the landclasses.xml.

Were autumn and spring never implemented in CFS3? :confused:

If there's no snowy ETO winter terrain version available then I'll try to make a light snow version.

Cheers

vonOben

NachtPiloten
March 14th, 2011, 07:51
I thought that the trees change and not so much the ground textures.

Frosty
March 14th, 2011, 10:26
... How does the seasonal changes work in ETO? :confused: When I select autumn or winter in QC I don't see any difference, are there no winter textures in ETO?

I thought that the trees change and not so much the ground textures.

The groundtextures also change (I know, I have to do them for the airfields) but as far as I can remember, CFS3 has actually only TWO seasons: Spring/Summer and Autumn/Winter...

NachtPiloten
March 14th, 2011, 12:49
The groundtextures also change (I know, I have to do them for the airfields) but as far as I can remember, CFS3 has actually only TWO seasons: Spring/Summer and Autumn/Winter...
You are correct on the grouping of the seasons.

vonOben
April 4th, 2011, 04:20
I believe the winter textures reside in terrains/cfs3pct2.zip if someone wants to have a crack at it.

Yes you were right! :applause:

Thanks!

I renamed the summer dds to winter and that worked fine and I have no snow at the horizon any longer.
But it would be even better if I modify the colors so they match the ETO winter terrain.
Only 576 files to go through....

Cheers

vonOben

Snaker
April 4th, 2011, 09:41
A guy named Mark Andrews (aka Winding Man) developed a scenery and weather manager for CFS3 which may do some of things you are asking about. It was pretty comprehensive and allowed you diffierent seasons, snow amounts, etc. It is is the downloads here at SOH.

-hth

vonOben
April 7th, 2011, 03:21
A guy named Mark Andrews (aka Winding Man) developed a scenery and weather manager for CFS3 which may do some of things you are asking about. It was pretty comprehensive and allowed you diffierent seasons, snow amounts, etc. It is is the downloads here at SOH.

-hth

Hi

Yes I know about WMScenery and I've tested it, but it's rather old and low res compared to JB Scenery that we have in ETO.

But it would be nice with some more seasonal changes IMHO. So I've started editing the JB Scenery terrain for 5 seasons totally.
The original summer and winter and new tiles for: autumn, medium winter (with some snow) and hard winter.

It's coming along nicely so far.

Cheers

vonOben

Snaker
April 7th, 2011, 09:10
Hi

Yes I know about WMScenery and I've tested it, but it's rather old and low res compared to JB Scenery that we have in ETO.

But it would be nice with some more seasonal changes IMHO. So I've started editing the JB Scenery terrain for 5 seasons totally.
The original summer and winter and new tiles for: autumn, medium winter (with some snow) and hard winter.

It's coming along nicely so far.

Cheers

vonOben

Wow - sounds like a great upgrade to the existing ETO! I got the WM stuff to work also but then the eto airfields dont match up in winter. Keep us posted on your progress.

:salute:

Squiffy
October 14th, 2011, 11:38
Hello from the future!

WMs manager was the basis of the OFF expansion. Unfortunately, the mosaic and terrain system had only 2 real seasons. I am looking at the CFS3 right now after installing it on my brand new Asus Gamer's Republic laptop. It's complicated but I remember I made one change that helped a lot. It's a key tile in the snow overlay. But dang, I deleted it off my old desktop when I was making room in the spring and can't remember which it was. I'll work on it this weekend.

Pat Pattle
October 14th, 2011, 23:03
Hey Squiffy! Long time no speak, how are you old chap?

Squiffy
October 15th, 2011, 16:46
Doing fine my good man. I must say that I've missed CFS3 this past year or so. It is a really fine sim engine and the community was able to do so much. I worked on some of the tiles from the "autumn" section of the landclasses file. Trouble is, many of the winter tiles are masked under the summer alpha files. This leaves snow on cities, roads, intersections and other complex tiles. I did manage to recolor some of the winter forest tiles with autumn browns but it's hit and miss. I don't have much room to work on my old desktop which has my controllers attached. The laptop works quite well with a gamepad and that's the real point-being mobile. I am using it at work with the school kids at the library after school. We have a Gaming and Manga/Anime club. A few have taken an interest in CFS3. I shoudl check out the new ETO install. Plenty of room on the new laptop.

popsaka
October 15th, 2011, 16:53
...hey Squiffy, good show and all that. --your contributions are always much appreciated! :applause::applause: