PDA

View Full Version : editing the aircraft .cfg files in windows 7 ?

heywooood
March 3rd, 2011, 19:19
ok - I tried the forum search with zero result

I could edit and save changes to aircraft .cfg files all daay long in XP

but what is the trick in win7???

I get "access denied" no matter what I do

any assistance would be greatly appreciated - thanks people :salute:

DennyA
March 3rd, 2011, 19:37
Heywoood, you must have installed FSX to c:\program files, eh? Files in there require administrator permissions to edit.

You need to run Notepad (or whatever cfg editor you're using) with Administrator privileges. Just right-click the program and choose "Run as Administrator" and it will let you save in c:\program files (or c:\program files (x86) under 64-bit).

Hope that helps.

(The moral of the story: Don't install games in c:\program files.)

heywooood
March 3rd, 2011, 21:00
hmmm...ok Denny

I'll try that - question though..if not installed to c/program files then - where instead?

this is a win7 deal then? - just 'upgraded' yesterday...I liked Xp

W. Bleddyn
March 3rd, 2011, 21:34
It has been like this since Vista, not just Win 7. Just make a folder to install your games to (c:\Games is what I use). Basically any program where you think you will be adding or editing files should be kept well clear of Program Files. I don't install anything there.

I am surprised gaming developers are still making installers that default there. I know FSX is older then Vista/Win 7 but lots of new games and add ons still use it as a default.

fliger747
March 4th, 2011, 10:14
My FS-FSX are in (x86 programs) and everything works just fine.... as I do a a lot of aircraft edit/design. Vista.... much hair pulling.

T

warchild
March 4th, 2011, 10:23
agreed! much much hair pulling..
I finally got disgusted with the whole mes an took ownership of both program directories and all the sub directories. it keeps things nice and simple.