PDA

View Full Version : CRASH BOXES V DPS

Robert John
March 3rd, 2011, 04:05
Meny years ago I made cfs2_london landmarks and notice the objects crashbox did not work, when I put in the library from cfs1 into cfs2 the crash box worked.Some objects that are the same uses different textues between the two librarys.I think the cfs2 library is quite a messup, size radius is wrong,wrong spelling for textures,I have mentioned before, I am working on this
I mentioning this because although dps are good some times I think a mixture of objects types could be good.
I am working on a project with Tobob and going to build a warth and as it is a large crash boxes should be better than dps even though they wont show damage I have ideas to place special damage points.
I am going to place the pen and bunker on the new landclass Tobob is working on as ordinay scenery with special damage points. The viewing of objects built for ordinary scenery is greater.
Going to put crashboxes in the subpen and bunker with damage points.

Robert John
March 4th, 2011, 10:51
What a nightmare understanding what is going on between the two librarys but learning about diffrent crashbox comands and scale factors use in cfs1,cfs2,fs98,fs2000 not fogetting fs2002.
RJ

Discus
March 5th, 2011, 05:04
Sorry for my ignorance, but the worst question is the one that hasn´t been made:

¿What is a crash box? The box defined in the dp wich defines a box into wich you collide if you go through it?

Cheers, Discus

Robert John
March 5th, 2011, 07:47
DPs files work with gsl scenery and they act like a crash box and very complicat to set up for very large buildings. Or if you build a hanger you want to go inside and touch a wall and crash.
Crash boxes work in ordinary scenery and when you hit the crash box you crash.
My cfs2 london landmarks scenery has crash boxes but do not work with just the scenery_cfs_library.bgl but if I put the library.bgl the crash box work. head scratch at the moment.
RJ

Discus
March 6th, 2011, 04:46
DPs files work with gsl scenery and they act like a crash box and very complicat to set up for very large buildings. Or if you build a hanger you want to go inside and touch a wall and crash.
Crash boxes work in ordinary scenery and when you hit the crash box you crash.
My cfs2 london landmarks scenery has crash boxes but do not work with just the scenery_cfs_library.bgl but if I put the library.bgl the crash box work. head scratch at the moment.
RJ

Thanks for your answer RJ.

Is that why in CFS2 you can´t get inside a hangar, or is it the dimension of the aircraft collision bubble, or both?

Robert John
March 6th, 2011, 05:26
I dont know about the collision bubble. If the dps are in the way yes you will crash.You have to make walls with dps. this is what I am working on.or keep them off the ground.
People that make dps will answer this better.
RJ

simonu
March 6th, 2011, 16:05
May I chime in. Collision bubble is aircraft model radius. CFS2 uses it to calculate collisions between aircraft only.
Crashboxes are scasm code in models and scenery objects.
They are not present in stock CFS2 objects and planes but are in FS2K2 objects.
, If you fly a stock CFS2 plane into a FS2K2 building it will pass straight through. An FS2k2 aircraft will crash into the building even in CFS2.
Give the building a DP with suitably designed hit boxes and you can load the building into missions or GSL, it is then solid to CFS2 stock planes and can show damage effects like fires and clouds of smoke. Clear as mud?

Robert, I concur. large scenery objects are much better as procedural scenery.
Loaded at a lower level of the game cycle they are visible from further away.
I thought about this with Rhur Dams.
Make the dam with damage as the procedural scenery
Then hide the damage underneith a gsl object that disappears when destroyed. follow the idea?

Discus
March 6th, 2011, 17:27
Thanks for the answer Simonu

So, by a making a dedicated dp I could "build" boxes not to comprise the entire hangar, but make several smaller boxes for walls, roof, etc so as to be able to get the aircraft into it with out colliding with a giant box!!:jump:

Interesting enough to have a look at some dps: hangars (with open doors) to start a mission parked inside and bridges (to fly underneath).

The only problem is that I know nill about scasm and crash boxes. If there is one for the object that comprises the entire object, no matter how precise and detailed I do the dp boxes the collisions will continue happening.:mad:

Cheers, Discus:salute:

Robert John
March 7th, 2011, 01:00
I Know the Library from cf1 is not stock but when put it into cfs2 my cfs2_Lonon landmarks crashboxs works but with the scenery_cfs_library in on its own the crashboxes do not work.
I am using stock aircraft to test this effect.Is been buging me for years.
Make the object with damage as the procedural scenery. Then hide the damage underneith a gsl object that disappears when destroyed. Its a brillent idea.
I am still learning to answer questions on dp files.

leroy10
March 10th, 2011, 04:49
Hi,
Crash boxes are old school, much better to use a DP, build small boxes for walls roof etc. That way you can start inside a hanger without damage but if you touch a wall taxing out its game over.

Dpedit is a great tool for this job

Robert John, there's quite a few bugs in the default library objects, keep in mind that nothing can decompile the files correctly, unless there's been something new released that can. So you really don't get to see the whole picture.

Robert John
March 10th, 2011, 05:26
I understand about crashboxes being old school, but to crash in ordinary you will need a crash box to work.
Yes you are right, I have found nothing to decompile the old librarys properly. I do extract the models with BGLAnalyze to sca and then use modelconvertex to convert to 3d and rebuild them.
Many thanks
Robert John

leroy10
March 10th, 2011, 05:51
It really comes back to what simonu suggested, adding the objects in the GSL would be the easiest solution to the problem.

Cheers :ernae:
Lindsay