PDA

View Full Version : Aviators- approach technique help.

demorier
March 1st, 2011, 00:54
Need some advice from a jet-jockey. When approaching for landing in a kero burner...what's the technique ? Piston engine plane of course you adjust approach slope with throttle. One former airline pilot told me you just leave the throttles alone and adjust approach slope by just raising or lowering the nose ?????

aeromed202
March 1st, 2011, 14:24
Are there modern jets that use an auto-throttle so you could just adjust attitude?
It's been a long time but the rule I learned was adjust rate of decent with power, and attitude with surface controls. If, for example, on glide slope your RoD increases you might be inclined to pull back a little on the stick. However, without increasing power, this would aggravate the increasing AoA, decrease speed, and therefore the danger of a stall. The correct response is to apply more power and expect to hold attitude steady. Different aircraft have different handling requirements but I believe this is still the basic procedure, jets or props. Keep the air moving over the wings. Come on folks, there are lots of current pilots here.

demorier
March 1st, 2011, 14:52
Thanks aero...being an old piston engine pilot and I never did any turbine time I've always had a bit of trouble getting on a suitable glide slope and staying close to it. I'd thought there was a different technique because of the lag in thrust from the turbine engine.

aeromed202
March 1st, 2011, 19:00
If you're having trouble with glideslopes in FS, remember it's a game and that aircraft you're flying is only as realistic as someone made it to be. Creating believable flight characteristics takes and lots of trial and error time. If you're talking about the real thing I suppose mass and aerodynamics play a big part in what you're talking about.

demorier
March 1st, 2011, 21:03
Thanks aero...got some feedback from a friend that pretty much matches your advice....now for some practice at that.:wiggle:
By the way, the avatar with the duck is a beauty.