PDA

View Full Version : L-4 due out tomorrow

mike_cyul
December 2nd, 2008, 10:40
Wednesday (Dec.3), that is, if all goes as planned. Just a little heads up!

:)

Mike

Lionheart
December 2nd, 2008, 10:47
Wooo hooooo!!!!

Great to hear Mike. I thought it would be another couple of weeks.

I do love the internet and the ability to do download purchases. Means I dont have to camp out in a line in front of a store. :d

Bill

CodyValkyrie
December 2nd, 2008, 11:34
Thanks for letting us know. I'll certainly be getting it. Looks like the girlfriend is going to get a new purse....

BananaBob
December 2nd, 2008, 11:51
Put me down for one too :ernae:

Roger
December 2nd, 2008, 11:56
...and me:applause:

mike_cyul
December 2nd, 2008, 13:09
Btw, Ken Wakefield, who wrote the definitive history of the L-4 in the European theatre of operations in WWII, "The Fighting Grasshoppers", was kind enough to provide an introduction in the manual.

As it sums up that part of the aircraft's history so well, those not too familiar with the L-4's role in those days may find this interesting:

"The Piper L-4 Grasshopper of WW2 was the military version of the highly popular pre-war J3 Cub, by which name it was more widely known to service personnel. Of the 5,500 L-4 variants produced between 1942 and 1945, some went to liaison squadrons and of the USAAF, but the vast majority went to US Army Ground Forces, for use as Air Observation Posts (Air OPs) with the Field Artillery. In both air and ground forces, the L-4 was also used as a flying Jeep, among other things carrying priority mail and personnel between HQs and command posts. Its Continental engine produced only 65hp, yet the L-4's excellent short field performance enabled it to operate from the smallest of improvised airstrips, including roads, adjacent to command posts.

Unlike most other combat aircraft, the L-4 was unarmed and unarmoured. It was one of the smallest aircraft of WW2 and, with a cruising speed of only 75 mph, it was the slowest. Nevertheless, it has been claimed that a single L-4, directing the fire power of an entire Division, could bring a greater weight of explosives to bear on a target then any other aircraft of that period. With the exception of the atomic bomb carrying B-29 Superfortress, no other single aircraft had the destructive capability of the diminutive L-4. It was most widely used in Europe, where more than 2,700 served with the Field Artillery, and of these nearly 900 were lost through enemy action or in accidents. Of those that survived the war, about 150 were shipped back to the US, most of the remainder eventually being sold to civilian purchasers in Britain, France, Switzerland, Denmark and elsewhere in Europe. More than 60 years on many of these are still flying with, in recent years, an increasing number being restored to their original military configuration and markings. A truly remarkable 'warbird', long to be remembered."

And as of tomorrow, you can fly your own. :)

Mike

stiz
December 2nd, 2008, 13:11
lovly jubly :jump: :applause: :medals:

scotsman
December 2nd, 2008, 13:23
Will spend the night in my sim-pit to get one tomorrow.
I took the pic at EDLB in 2002. Never thought to own one of them later:costumes:

Mike

Bomber_12th
December 2nd, 2008, 13:36
In real life, it must be the easiest/fastest method to to own and fly a warbird. :d

I'm definitely looking forward to grabing it as soon as I can, Mike! It will definitely fill in a major gap. Everything looks spot on - I love the detail, even with almost everything the same color, like a jeep.

Nick C
December 2nd, 2008, 13:37
Great news Mike :applause:

huub vink
December 2nd, 2008, 14:09
I know I'm one of the priviliged ones :d

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/cub2.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/cub3.jpg

Cheers,
Huub

Dain Arns
December 2nd, 2008, 15:00
Ooo ooo ooo! Really been holding out from any other purchases until I get this one. Great news, can't wait to park myself in the office of an L-4 again. :jump:

hey_moe
December 2nd, 2008, 15:05
Looks sweet Mike...where my private copy at:jump:

MudMarine
December 2nd, 2008, 15:18
SWEET!!:jump: Why does it always seem that Mike releases a bird when I'm broke?:costumes:

Panther_99FS
December 2nd, 2008, 16:40
:ernae:

Cazzie
December 2nd, 2008, 17:15
Finger is ready to hit the PayPal button! :applause::ernae:

Caz

MCDesigns
December 2nd, 2008, 19:54
Fantastic Mike!! :ernae:

txnetcop
December 2nd, 2008, 21:20
This will give you an idea of what the package contains. Every nut and bolt is there for rivet counters. The ribbing in the wings is masterful. This is one very fine aircraft with lots of liveries for every situation. Thanks Mike it has been a pleasure to work with you on this one.
Enjoy,
Ted

CodyValkyrie
December 2nd, 2008, 23:20
Tease! I had to buy my girlfriend a massage for this....

scotsman
December 3rd, 2008, 02:09
still waiting wishfully for "tomorrow":kilroy:
Mike

Cerberus
December 3rd, 2008, 03:04
Mike just gave me the go ahead for release. So it is out now
at http://www.skyunlimited.net/