PDA

View Full Version : Rob Richardson's panels

delta_lima
February 22nd, 2011, 09:15
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER - not a complaint or in ANY way a slight to Rob's awesome work ...

I absolutely love Rob's Hornet/Sea Hornets, to say nothing of the absolutely delightful Vampire. Both are keenly appreciated - so please don't take the following as anything but an honest question/observation.

I find the VC panel very dark (almost black) - I have a bit of a hard time reading the gauges, which are also dark (with white numerals). I have VC graphic quality settings to max - does anyone else see this too? Any suggestions to create a bit of contrast between the panel and gauges?

Thanks.

PS - love the planes, very grateful for them - really wrestled with even asking for a few weeks, so as to not suggest ingratitude or trite complaint ...

harrybasset
February 22nd, 2011, 23:02
Yes, I second your praise and thanks to Rob for these aircraft but tend to agree with your comments about the panels. I did put it down to my old eyesight so did not pipe up before.

Tako_Kichi
February 23rd, 2011, 08:19
The real pits were painted black. I was on the beta team for the Hornet and I brought this issue up with Rob and he did lighten it a bit.

The biggest problem is that FS exaggerates the extremes, black (RGB 0,0,0) is very black while white (RGB 255,255,255) is blindingly white. As a repainter I always use 10,10,10 for the darkest 'black' and 235, 235, 235 for the brightest 'white'.

Bear in mind too that real paint is never true black or white but numerous shades of very dark or very light grey.

You can change the hues in the textures if you have any repainting skills and the required tools (GIMP, Paintshop Pro, Photoshop etc.).

delta_lima
February 23rd, 2011, 12:01
Thanks TK-I'm glad this came across the right way.

I only have MS paint - and never repainted a thing in my life. If Paint can handle that file, I am happy to try.

Yes I can see how "black" is a nuanced colour. I'm sure the experts have wrestled with this before...

DL