PDA

View Full Version : Question about drop tank capacity and bomb weight..Alpha P-47

OBIO
February 21st, 2011, 20:27
I fly the Alpha freeware P-47s a lot...especially the Razorback model. I have noticed that the drop tanks and bomb are not part of the fuel and weight of the plane. I would like to add the fuel capacity of the drop tanks (2 on the Razorback model and 3 on the Bubble Top model) and the weight of the bomb on the Razorback model to the config so that when I opt to fly with the drop tanks/bomb, the plane will reflect that initial weight and fuel capacity.

What are the capacities of the drop tanks on the Alpha P-47s and how much would the bomb weight?

I have split the Razorback models and the Bubble Top model into their own packages so that each model can have the config tweaked to reflect their own payload and fuel capacities.

OBIO

Matt Wynn
February 21st, 2011, 21:40
bomb would probably be a 500lb'er not sure on tank weights... guys?

flyboyhunt05
February 21st, 2011, 23:04
If I remember correctly, the AS model had the tear drop tanks that should hold 75 gallons of fuel. As Smoothie said, the bomb should be a 500 pound one.

OBIO
February 22nd, 2011, 00:24
Thanks guys....I know that in CFS2, the US tear drop shape drop tanks were rated at 75 gallons, but wanted to be sure that there were not varying sizes.

The bomb...I figured it was a 500 pounder, but not sure if a 500 pound bomb WEIGHS 500 pounds or if it hold 500 pounds of explosives. I will just set it in the config as 500 pounds and call it a day.

Now to find a nice usable fuel tank selector....hmmm...CFS2 has a lot of nice fuel selectors with drop tank selections.

OBIO

OBIO
February 22nd, 2011, 01:27
Okeedokee...I have the 2 drop tanks and bomb added to the Razorback and the 3 drop tanks added to the Bubble Top. But I am not sure I have it set up correctly so that they are all selectable.

Here's the fuel config for the Bubble Top.

[fuel]

//Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), Unusable (gallons)

fuel_type = 1
number_of_tank_selectors = 1
electric_pump = 1

Center1 = 0, 0, 0, 305, 0 <--Main fuselage tank
Center2 = .5, 0, -5.25, 75, 0 <--Belly/Center drop tank
External1 = 0, -11.3, -3.5, 75, 0 <--Left drop tank
External2 = 0, 11.3, -3.5, 75, 0 <--right drop tank

The fuel config for the Razorback is the same but it does not have the Center.2 entry.

What would be the proper way to set these fuel configs up so that each tank can be selected individually? The fuel selector I am using is the one from the CFS2 F4U1A Corsair. It has selections for Main, Left Wing, Right Wing, Reserve, Drop and Off. When I select Main, the fuel gauge reads full, when I select Reserve the fuel gauge read full, when I select Drop Tank the fuel gauge reads full. The Left and Right Wing tanks show as empty.

When adding drop tanks to a plane, do entries for those tanks need to be made to the AIR file as well. I know that in CFS2, which relies mainly on the AIR file, unless the proper entries were made to the AIR file, the drop tanks would not work.

OBIO