PDA

View Full Version : Will the development of "weapons packs" in FSX attract the riff-raff?

tracyq144
February 19th, 2011, 13:49
The unwashed hoards that care nothing for the smooth lines of a Spitfire, the pure essence of flight that is embodied by the Piper Cub? Those that care only for fiery explosions, the oily smoke and stink that signifies the end of yet another flying machine, another 3D object on the ground? Do you think that plane is pilot-less? That 3D building unoccupied? There are real digital people that fly those planes, that live and work in those buildings!

One can only hope that common sense prevails, and this mad rush for death and destruction will go no further in what has been, to this point in time, a peaceful digital world. Do you really think it will be long before your favorite Orbx enhanced airport is strafed and/or bombed by these Philistines that cheer for weapons in FSX? Think again, I say.

Better that these talented developers, and they are talented, I will give them that, would bring to the FSX world realistic airshows, art festivals, book faires, and such. Preferably at airports, of course, but also at sites scattered throughout the country. Can you imagine your excitement at landing at a small airport in PNW, and seeing a credible recreation of a pottery exhibit near the FBO office? A watercolour exhibit, perhaps consisting only of florals? The possibilities for good, wholesome addons is infinite, do we need to turn FSX into a combatsim?

I say, NO!

Let that mad Russian, Oleg Maddox (if that is his real name), glorify the dark side of aeroplane flying, and leave FSX to those of us that celebrate peace and goodwill!

strykerpsg
February 19th, 2011, 13:56
Why are you even entertaining a thought process or thread about this? You are still able to fly peacefully, into intrically detailed airfields, unmolested by missles and gunfire or engage in equally engaging dogfights if you so choose. This topic has already been discussed adnauseum.

Matt

Shylock
February 19th, 2011, 14:15
We do FSX Airshows at replicated real world fields. Last year we did NAF El Centro, OshKOsh for the iFly-online group, Pensacola beach and a flyover for BVATC birthday bash.

I thought this posting was pretty funny and entertaining.

tracyq144
February 19th, 2011, 14:51
I thought this posting was pretty funny and entertaining.

Well, at least you got it, I was trying to be a bit funny. I'll probably be banned for saying this, but this is a very stuffy site, IMHO. Lots of good info, which I like, but man, what a tough crowd!

MSFS is, for me, an entertainment, a fun thing. Something that usually makes me smile, not get my pantyhose in a knot over. ;)

thisizma
February 19th, 2011, 15:25
I felt really bad when I didn't realize my cable to the stick disconnected and crashed my C-130 into Orlando.

Bjoern
February 19th, 2011, 15:25
What's more disappointing is that freeware development for everything connected to airline flying has taken kind of a downturn with FSX.

Most models are payware, freeware AI ain't native and way less freeware sceneries.
The only upside: An abundant collection of AFX files for default airports.

*Sigh*

Sometimes I just want to call the sim "FSRustbucketand"MeetyouatthatGAairportintwoweeks""...

tracyq144
February 19th, 2011, 15:31
I felt really bad when I didn't realize my cable to the stick disconnected and crashed my C-130 into Orlando.

As well you should, but accidents will happen, hey? At least it wasn't intentional.

It's not results we care about, it's intention!

blazefox2
February 19th, 2011, 16:15
weapons are a part of aviation. simple as that.

and as a simulator, its job is to simulate every aspect of aviation. so that encompasses militaristic behaviors.

just remember, you can make this sim whatever you want it to be. if you want to be an airline pilot you can do that. if you want to be in a superhornet and shoot those boring airline pilots down, then that is perfectly acceptable.

thisizma
February 19th, 2011, 16:37
weapons are a part of aviation. simple as that.

and as a simulator, its job is to simulate every aspect of aviation. so that encompasses militaristic behaviors.

just remember, you can make this sim whatever you want it to be. if you want to be an airline pilot you can do that. if you want to be in a superhornet and shoot those boring airline pilots down, then that is perfectly acceptable.
It would be cool to down a 747 with a Sopwith Camel!:icon29:

Stratobat
February 19th, 2011, 16:38

If you could catch it :p:

Regards,
Stratobat

thisizma
February 19th, 2011, 16:56
If you could catch it :p:

Regards,
Stratobat
True...... Still would be cool though :)

blazefox2
February 19th, 2011, 17:11
True...... Still would be cool though :)
lol the poor camel would be torn apart in the jetwash

skyblazer3
February 19th, 2011, 17:17
Riff-Raff eh?

Have you been into a free-flight multiplayer session? The Riff-Raff are already on FSX, doing F-18 burner passes like virtual jet-fuel was free.

I fly exclusively online with people I know, so riff-raff is not an issue. My greatest fear, however, is that this particular demographic will someday penetrate the Fortress of Reason that is Sim-Out-House.:salute:

blazefox2
February 19th, 2011, 17:31
Riff-Raff eh?

Have you been into a free-flight multiplayer session? The Riff-Raff are already on FSX, doing F-18 burner passes like virtual jet-fuel was free.

I fly exclusively online with people I know, so riff-raff is not an issue. My greatest fear, however, is that this particular demographic will someday penetrate the Fortress of Reason that is Sim-Out-House.:salute:

fortress of reason? what have you been smoking LOL!!!:sheep:

anthony31
February 19th, 2011, 17:31
Make love not war!

skyblazer3
February 19th, 2011, 17:38
"I'm a Lover Pilot, not a Fighter Pilot"

-- Anonymous South African Air Force pilot.

And for the record, SOH is the best online forum group I've ever known.

warchild
February 19th, 2011, 17:39
Welll, vigelence is the price of freedom, its also the cost of peace.. Rif Raf as they are called come in many sizes shapes colors and origins, but we mods and admins will always do our best to see that things remain cordial at the very least..
Pam

Stratobat
February 19th, 2011, 17:40

It'd be a real shake and bake operation :p:

Regards,
Stratobat

Bone
February 19th, 2011, 17:42
Better that these talented developers, and they are talented, I will give them that, would bring to the FSX world realistic airshows, art festivals, book faires, and such.

Lol. You forgot wine tasting, pansy planting, and the Grey Poupon!

blazefox2
February 19th, 2011, 18:48
Lol. You forgot wine tasting, pansy planting, and the Grey Poupon!
and those little bags of pretzels!

Piglet
February 19th, 2011, 19:07
Hey, I would love to fly in my paisley Piper Kumbaya into a nice quaint field hosting an art show. Then spin around and propblast all the artworks!!!!

thisizma
February 19th, 2011, 20:08
AWESOME!

strykerpsg
February 19th, 2011, 20:28
Well, at least you got it, I was trying to be a bit funny. I'll probably be banned for saying this, but this is a very stuffy site, IMHO. Lots of good info, which I like, but man, what a tough crowd!

MSFS is, for me, an entertainment, a fun thing. Something that usually makes me smile, not get my pantyhose in a knot over. ;)
Tracy, you're right. I read too much into your post. I thought you were trying to be another peacenick kicking the virtual wardog down the road. Apologies for over reacting.

Matt

W. Bleddyn
February 19th, 2011, 22:29
I hate it when I am having a nice, peaceful flight and it is destroyed by that kind of riff raff... makes me wish I could just shoot them down :icon_eek:

txnetcop
February 20th, 2011, 01:36
Hey, I would love to fly in my paisley Piper Kumbaya into a nice quaint field hosting an art show. Then spin around and propblast all the artworks!!!!

I just got up and I almost fell outta my chair laughing at this. I have always wanted to this same thing in a SKYRAIDER (talk about prop blast)! I guess I am a Neanderthal after all. LOL

Warrant
February 20th, 2011, 01:48

The crowd here at SOH is varied and just fine. It is indeed funny you express your "please, no guns" opinion here. Have you noticed the logo just above the button named "Home", up in the left corner of your screen? It is nice i can fly a nicely build vintage bird in FSX, but it is also nice i now can shoot stuff in free flight if i want (as Piglet so nicely put to words).

:jump:

Warrant
February 20th, 2011, 01:49

Like some American politician said...."Yes we can!" :salute:

Warrant
February 20th, 2011, 01:52
Make love not war!

Nice picture. But i prefer "Make love, then war" better :ernae:

Francois
February 20th, 2011, 02:01
I like the original post.

It is funny indeed, but also emphasizes the strength of FS(X) in that it is so many things to so many people.

I've been using FS since Bruce Artwick's days, and others even before that, and still love it. But I also have owned and used just about every combat sim that has been devised in that same time period, and still enjoy some of them.

I own a Mercedes Van, and cannot afford a Porsche or a Ferrari, nor would my old racing drivers reflexes from 35 years ago still suffice for them.
But on a PC I can have EVERYTHING when I want it and where I want it.

I just love sims, with and without weapons.

Roger
February 20th, 2011, 03:16
It's worth knowing that the SOH started life as as a combat sim site. FS forums were added later when I was asked to moderate the first one back in 2001. Most of my screen shots at the time were of Cfs2 aircraft ported to Fs2002 so the history is that a lot of the original combat sims membership gave Fs a try especially as with 2002 there were reflective oceans, lakes and rivers. Who can blame them for wanting the eye candy missing in Cfs1 & 2 to enhance their combat. Cfs3 came but didn't satisfy everyone who enjoyed combat sims and with the advent of FsX with combat add-ons it looks like the most satisfying option...great eye candy...with destroyable targets!
I saw the thread starter post and took it as a tongue-in-cheek so I'm pleased to see the replies have mostly been in that vein:ernae:

jp
February 20th, 2011, 05:58
Just make the systems true to life, especially in the way you must arm, lock, fire, etc. If you cant takeoff, squeeze the trigger and destroy whatever catches your eye, those who are only interested in destruction will soon lose interest. And include gun jams,failed seperations and other dangers to baffel and/or destroy the unwitting harbinger of death.

dharris
February 20th, 2011, 06:29
Well, the next time the N. Koreans try to down an ec121, will they be in for a surprise when we fire first!!

TeaSea
February 20th, 2011, 09:15
Hey, it's a simulated world, but it's MY simulated world.

I create it when I boot up my system.

Keep your hands off my world!

stiz
February 20th, 2011, 09:44

but the camel could take off on the grass next to the taxi way or even in a 747 parking bay and fly around for a good 30 mins before the 747 even started the engines, then strafe the big buss whilst it taxis to the runway (provideing theres no traffic which makes it hold position) .. in other words .. the 747 wouldnt stand a chance! :bump:

Chuck_Jodry-VJPL
February 20th, 2011, 10:18
Call Me Riff Raff, been making these things things go boom , tweaking and redoing the effects and giving it another go for over a month of testing and production now and i am getting to like tracking targets , the issue i have is going after innocent AI , need to produce a "PC" target drone so i feel less guilty..

noshadez
February 20th, 2011, 17:39
Beat the swords into plowshares baby... but until then it will take all forms of weapons podded on the best US military aircraft availible for temporary peace of some sort everywhere:wiggle: worldwide baby

thisizma
February 20th, 2011, 17:45
but the camel could take off on the grass next to the taxi way or even in a 747 parking bay and fly around for a good 30 mins before the 747 even started the engines, then strafe the big buss whilst it taxis to the runway (provideing theres no traffic which makes it hold position) .. in other words .. the 747 wouldnt stand a chance! :bump:
Yes... THAT'S WHAT I MEANT! Well.............kind of.

kilo delta
February 21st, 2011, 01:05
Call Me Riff Raff, been making these things things go boom , tweaking and redoing the effects and giving it another go for over a month of testing and production now and i am getting to like tracking targets , the issue i have is going after innocent AI , need to produce a "PC" target drone so i feel less guilty..

Hmmm...maybe a V1 Doodlebug? :d

Chuck_Jodry-VJPL
February 21st, 2011, 04:53
Genius Idea, i am sure you will see that one show up.

Odie
February 21st, 2011, 08:34
Who's this Riff and Raff? Are they brothers? :icon_lol:

If they are anything like the Dooley brothers I went to school with it'd best not to let them in the cockpit period!!!

Bjoern
February 21st, 2011, 08:52
Hmmm...maybe a V1 Doodlebug? :d

Only if you get the sound right.

DHC120
February 21st, 2011, 22:29
Beat the swords into plowshares baby... but until then it will take all forms of weapons podded on the best US military aircraft availible for temporary peace of some sort everywhere:wiggle: worldwide baby

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who didn't!
Thomas Jefferson..

Sedr37
February 23rd, 2011, 09:17
I hate it when I am having a nice, peaceful flight and it is destroyed by that kind of riff raff... makes me wish I could just shoot them down :icon_eek:

Like I did LOL. Seriosly I like what Francois said - "it is so many things to so many people". So enjoy what is yours.

fsafranek
February 23rd, 2011, 09:27
Why wait for him to start the engines? Just empty your guns into the cockpit
and be done with it. Occupied or not, he ain't going anywhere after that.
Then go do some nice peaceful barn storming.
:ernae: