PDA

View Full Version : FS9 shuts down after 10-15 mins

rayrey10
December 1st, 2008, 20:22
Last week I tried 'Realstars', which someone mentioned in a post here. Well, I backed up the "stars.dat" file, copied the new one over. I backed up the fs9.cfg file, and deleted it so that FS9 would make a new one. Well it looked great for about 5 minutes then FS9 would shut down and I'd get kicked back to the desktop.

I decided that I would go back to the original stars, so I deleted the new stars.dat, copied the original back. I deleted that fs9.cfg and replaced it with the orginal. Now I can go for about 15 minutes, and then I get a black screen. I have to do the 3 finger tap dance > control, alt, delete > to get out and restart. I even deleted the first fs9.cfg file I had so that it would make a new one.

This stinks because I was starting to like my new install of FS9...my hard drive crashed a little over at a month ago.:banghead:

luckydog
December 1st, 2008, 21:05
I downloaded 'bout the same time last week........
didn't back-up nuthin.......
everything's fine.....
sure is nice to see my favorite constellations !!!

Sorry I can't help, LD

huub vink
December 2nd, 2008, 01:59
Rayrey, are you sure it is the star.dat file and that you don't have a "temperature" problem with your PC or video card?

Somehow it doesn't seem logical to me that a dat file would cause problems after 10-15 minutes. I presume a faulty .dat file either causes problems at the start or doesn't cause any problems at all.

Huub

Cazzie
December 2nd, 2008, 04:15
I have to agree with Huub, check you fans and make sure no dust are clogging them. Especially check your core processor fan, on some when the core gets too hot, the system will shut down. I just replace a core fan for a DELL one of my frioends had due to the same problem. The computer worked fine for about 10 minutes and shut down. I opened it up and cleaned it out and sure enough, his core cooling fan was blinko and the core started heating up real quick. I suimply shut it down when the core started heating, jnew the problem, got a fan from Computer Barn for $7.00 yankee. Funny how a little seven dollar item can so effect and protect something as costly as a core proseccor. Once I installed the new fan, he was good to go. Sometimes we become too immersed in or gaming and forget that computers need a little TLC inside every now and then.

The stars.DAT is nothing more than a Notepad file for the ROOT FS9, there is no way it could shut down tour sim IMHO.

Caz

rayrey10
December 2nd, 2008, 06:49
Thanks guys! I'll check out the fans, and clean them out. I just assumed that since it started happening when I changed the stars that the stars.dat or the fs9.cfg had something to do with it.

LouP
December 2nd, 2008, 17:10
Also, I was having some shutdown issues (but not that short of a time) with a message about running out of memory. Now I have 1.5 mb of RAM and also a huge chunk of virtual memory.... or so I thought. When I actually looked into it, somehow my virtual memory had become disabled. I re-enabled it and everything is running much better now. :icon30:

LouP

skyhawka4m
December 2nd, 2008, 22:19
This was also happening to me and in the end one day7 it erased a good portion of my hard drive. It was due to over heating. Make sure your heat sinks and fans are all clean.

klarm
December 3rd, 2008, 16:52
Had the same kind of problem start not long ago except my system would shut right down and I'd have to reboot. I moved computer to a different spot and I didn't notice it was in front of a heat duct and when the AC went off and the heat was turned on...instant overheating problem. Took some head scratching to figure that one out.

rayrey10
December 7th, 2008, 08:34
I cleaned out the fans, they actually weren't too bad. They all had a little bit of dust so I think that they were all working....maybe?

Now FS9 will run for an hour before it goes to a black screen or it will go a minute. :banghead: "Like a box of chocolate, never know what you gonna get."

Is there a way to check the temperature of the cpu and the video card? Like a temperature monitor. Also, would one of those PCI fan help?

Guess I can also update the video card drivers.

Jeez, I hope I don't have to re-install FS9 again!

Krazy
December 7th, 2008, 09:25
Look up at video card with cover off and see if its running..same with case fans & also look at Power supply fan for air flow....what vid card is it? Nvidia.com for latest in their goodies..