PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on purchasing A2A Spitfire, too complicated for me?

tracyq144
February 10th, 2011, 05:59
Sorry for starting a new thread, but figured my question would get lost amongst the "repaints" in the sticky thread on top.

From everything I've read, the Accusimmed Spitfire is the best thing since bottled beer, but it's a little pricey, and I don't know if it's for me.

I have never gotten comfortable (or learned how to properly fly) with either the P-47 or the B-17, engine management-wise. My favorite, and by far the most flown, aircraft is the J3, mostly because there really isn't any engine management! :)

I DO like the realistic air files on these planes, though, and I dearly love the Spitfire, it's one of the all time great airplanes, of course.

I've got a day off, finally!, so some opinions would be welcome. I would just go ahead and pull the trigger on the purchase, but in all honesty, money has become somewhat tight in the last month or so. Whachya all think?

stiz
February 10th, 2011, 06:10
as with the previous accusim stuff, you can always turn it off .. plus the spit if FAR easier to fly than the p47 or b17 :wiggle:

Ferry_vO
February 10th, 2011, 06:45
And you can always buy it (Like I did) without the optional Accu-sim module! Only $29.99 for just the aircraft.

dvj
February 10th, 2011, 07:15
The Accusim version of this model is actually quite easy and worth the extra $$$. Why? Well this is afterall a flying simulation and A2A has really brought a realistic flying experience with this one. A little engine mananagment is all that is needed to get this bird in the air which adds to the sim experience. There are some very interesting special effects and sounds too. You can always turn Accusim off. My only issue is that once you are up and flying, there are no ME 109's to shoot down! ;-)

huub vink
February 10th, 2011, 07:49
Tracy when you want an early Spitfire, A2A still sells the "old" Spitfire Mk.Ia. A beautiful model for only $18.99.

There are many repaints available for that model as well.

Cheers,
Huub

W. Bleddyn
February 10th, 2011, 07:52
I am also not good with overly complicated planes. I find the Spitfire to be the easiest of the Accu-sim warplanes. You have the option of a fixed prop like the cub so you don't even have to touch RPM if you don't want. It does mean a performance hit on takeoff and climb though. There are very few things to do in the cockpit compared to the others, so the challenge is not remembering all the switches and buttons, the challenge is just getting the best out of it without causing undue wear on parts.

bstolle
February 10th, 2011, 08:31
I don't really care for the accusim module concering correct engine handling, but the sound and special effects are simply outstanding.
IMHO for the effects and immersion factor accusim is a must.
The A2A Spitfire is very (too?) easy to fly, especially take off and landings are non-events.

tracyq144
February 10th, 2011, 08:32
I am also not good with overly complicated planes. I find the Spitfire to be the easiest of the Accu-sim warplanes. You have the option of a fixed prop like the cub so you don't even have to touch RPM if you don't want. It does mean a performance hit on takeoff and climb though. There are very few things to do in the cockpit compared to the others, so the challenge is not remembering all the switches and buttons, the challenge is just getting the best out of it without causing undue wear on parts.

Well, that sounds reasonable. I like to be able to look out the cockpit, as opposed to always being "head down".

W. Bleddyn
February 10th, 2011, 08:41
You will be head down for a bit until you learn to keep your temps down lol, but there are no complex systems. You just have to learn to fly it within it limits.

As long as you remember that it was designed to fly around 18k ft that and old planes were never flown at max throttle (unless needed in combat for a very short burst) then it is quite easy to fly. If you put the throttle to the firewall and do aerobatics at 3k ft you are in for some broken engines.

BOOM
February 10th, 2011, 09:11
Go Get it!!!!!! It's AMAZING!!!!! As previously stated,There is some to learn about keeping Radiator cool but once you got that down with The MkII with constant speed propeller it's really simple.

And do get The WOP3 Spit w/t Accu-sim module,You won't regret it! You'll get a discount if purchased together.

It's easily the most immersive piston driven[Duke is close 2nd] aircraft built for FSX.......IMHO.

tracyq144
February 10th, 2011, 09:56
Urrrrrrr. Well, I have purchased and downloaded, so now off to install and see what happens. Thanks for the opinions and advice.

I guess new engines are pretty cheap anyway, right?

stiz
February 10th, 2011, 10:22
I guess new engines are pretty cheap anyway, right?

yup, its nice and easy to, 1 click purcash! :bump:

AndyE1976
February 10th, 2011, 12:16
The great thing about the Spit is it was meant to get into the air in a few minutes, so unlike a lot of the PMDG stuff and even I guess the B17, you just have to flick a few switches, prime it and fire it up.

A short warm up and off you go. Really all you need to manage are the throttle and RPM's to keep the temps in order.

It's a great plane to fly and this is a flight simulator, so a good add-on should be simulating what it was like to operate that type of aircraft.

I think that what is getting everyone so excited is that it's a beautiful, classic aircraft and a challenge to keep the engine in good order, but not complicated and extremely satisfying when you complete a flight without over heating or otherwise damaging it.