PDA

View Full Version : CFS 2 Book Club

Jagdflieger
February 8th, 2011, 21:56
I'm in the middle of another great book on the Imperial Japanese Navy.

This one is titled: Sunburst: The rise of the Japanese Naval Air Power, 1909-1941

The author is Mark R. Peattie, the same author who wrote Kaigun, a book about the Imperial Japanese Navy from its inception up to 1941.

His writing is riveting, yet detailed with what appears to be faultless research. While many authors have covered the war years of the Japanese, not many have written about the lead up to the war. These books cover not only the technology and how it developped, but also the impact that it had on doctrine, strategy, tactics and design of the various ships and airplanes used by the Japanese during WW II.

I tried to buy Sunburst on line, but it is out of print and the few remaining books for sale are pretty pricey so a quick trip to the library met with success. While my community's library didn't have it, an inter-library loan from the University of Puget Sound brought me an unread tome that has proven to be facinating.

For all of you Pacific War historians, these books really set the stage for our CFS 2 time machine.

crashaz
February 8th, 2011, 22:21
Ragged Rugged Warriors by Martin Caidin. Out of print but can be found. Stories of early war air action in the Pacific starting in China in 1937 and culminating in the Marauder attack on Kido Butai at Midway.

:salute:

Seagull V
February 9th, 2011, 00:50
The Decisive Factor - 75 & 76 Squadrons - Port Moresby and Milne Bay 1942 - David Wilson

Milne Bay 1942 - The Story of 'Milne Force' - researched by Clive Barker and Greg Knight

Two Steps to Tokyo by Gordon Powell
Day to day lives of the RAAF in the Trobriand and Admiralty Islands in WW2

Lake Boga At War - The Inside Story of the Secret RAAF Inland Flying Boat Unit - WWII by Brett Freeman

Rami
February 9th, 2011, 06:14
The Poltava affair - Glenn Infield.

Das Afrika Korps - Franz Kurowski.

Jagdflieger
February 9th, 2011, 07:23
A Battle History of the Imperial Japanese Navy (1941-1945)

By Paul S. Dull

Regardless of the author's last name, it is anything but dull and is an invalualuable research book for IJN movements, losses and victories.

Japanese Destroyer Captain

By Captain Temeichi Hara

While not an aviation book, it is a wonderful first hand account of destroyer action from the Solomons to the IJN's last sortee on a suicide mission to Okinawa. It gives great insight into the workings of the Japanese admiralty as well as day to day life on a destroyer as well as the total domination of the sea by the US Navy and carrier aviation in the last year of the war.

sc7500
February 9th, 2011, 13:43
While researching eBook Readers today, I made an important discovery - FREE DOWNLOADABLE BOOKS in PDF format.

Yeah, it don't sound like much, but a lot of the time FREE is better than Not. AND we can read them anytime on our computers with Adobe or FoxIt Reader - no need for an eReader !

Anyhoot, check this place out - I found more than my fair share of Military History writings:

http://manybooks.net/

SC
:kilroy:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ADDENDUM: I just came down off a research cloud at Manybooks.com - besides all forms of writing, there is MORE than a decent selection of WWI [both ground AND Air war], World Conflict, and WWII and British / US War literature [Historical, Autobiographical, and Fiction] to keep ANYONE reading forever !

HouseHobbit
February 9th, 2011, 14:10
This is wonderful Thank you for this link..
BRAVO..

Fibber
February 9th, 2011, 15:47
This site may interest some: http://www.usni.org/magazines/navalhistory/2011-01

Then again, being a former squid, I may be partial.

tonybones2112
February 9th, 2011, 23:30
Somewhere around here I have a small paperback with many pictures dealing with the A6M2 Zero that crashed in the Aleutians and taken to Wright Patt and test flown.

Bones

TARPSBird
February 10th, 2011, 00:47
Somewhere around here I have a small paperback with many pictures dealing with the A6M2 Zero that crashed in the Aleutians and taken to Wright Patt and test flown.
Bones
Probably this one:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Kogas-Zero/Jim-Rearden/e/9780929521565/?itm=1&USRI=koga%27s+zero

Discus
February 10th, 2011, 09:08
ADDENDUM: I just came down off a research cloud at Manybooks.com - besides all forms of writing, there is MORE than a decent selection of WWI [both ground AND Air war], World Conflict, and WWII and British / US War literature [Historical, Autobiographical, and Fiction] to keep ANYONE reading forever !

SC

Many thanks for the link.:jump:

Where did you find WWII literature in that page? Last night I´ve searched but only found WWI writtings.:confused:

Cheers, Discus

sc7500
February 10th, 2011, 10:21
...Where did you find WWII literature in that page? Last night I´ve searched but only found WWI writings...

I did a general search of [War] and then spent several HOURS 'flipping pages' and culling thru the memoirs, fiction, and such until I found the non-fiction gems....

There are PDF copies of Military Manuals [Sabotage / Drill Instruction / General Procedures], several good descriptions of Pacific Theater action [1941-44], and a few disturbingly accurate depictions of 1930s Nazi evolution....

This particular web site doesn't make it easy to find newer publications - their idea of "free books" seems to lean toward pre-1940 public domain works. But, if you're willing to spend some time, you CAN find neat stuff.

Ah, it's GOOD to be retired and snowed in...
SC

Discus
February 10th, 2011, 12:32
.. if you're willing to spend some time, you CAN find neat stuff.

Ah, it's GOOD to be retired and snowed in...
SC

Thanks SC.

In this side of the globe we are in summer, children on vacation and the one writting this is full of work to do. I´ll keep on searching tonight.

MaskRider
February 10th, 2011, 21:15
"The Ghost Mountain Boys" (James Campbell).

Its the story of the 32nd "Red Arrow" Division who were assigned the task of protecting the right flank of the Austrlain Army as they pushed the Japanese back across the Owen Stanleys from Port Moresby to Buna during the Kokoda Track and Buna Campaigns. It was feared that Japanese operating out of Milne Bay might somehow harrass the Aussies right flank. Great story. Totally ignored by the press and the media at the time.

These poor guys were totally unprepared and grossly ill-equipped for what they had to endure when crossing the Owen Stanleys. The deseases and health conditions were just appalling. At the end of the journey they were expected to fight- and fight they did- in one of the most savage battles of the Pacific Campaign. Remarkable stuff.

I have the paper back edition and my only negative comment would be that there weren't enough detailed maps for my tastes. But the relavent maps are easily obtained on the internet.

Eoraptor1
February 12th, 2011, 10:51
Some people like their missions as close to historical accuracy as can be; right down to the last bolt, but for those not opposed to "What If?" style campaigns like the Pfeil missions, I would recommend Rising Sun Victorious: The Alternate History of How the Japanese Won the Pacific War, edited by Peter G. Tsouras. I may have mentioned this title once before in a previous thread, but I don't remember. I saw it at a library sale and for some reason picked it up. There are quite a few ideas for mission designers here.

JAMES