PDA

View Full Version : NEW FSX Native 727 -->Thomas Ruth

thunder100
February 6th, 2011, 08:32
Thomas 727 is now launched

Download tom7271.zip from AVSIM Online -- Virginia, USA via FTP (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=ftp&DLID=156453)

Have fun

Roland

Bjoern
February 6th, 2011, 09:29
Oh dear, tons of liveries to paint...lol.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/jetliner/b727/index.shtml

Hm...Delta or another one for a start?

txnetcop
February 6th, 2011, 09:34
Absolutely the best freeware 727 offering I have ever seen for a tube liner in FSX!

robcap
February 6th, 2011, 09:40
Downloaded, installed, and about to fly

heywooood
February 6th, 2011, 10:53
its really well done !

but I need to switch (reduce) the engine smoke effect and I cant find the reference to it in the aircraft.cfg or in the FSX main effects folder...

I wanted to substitute another effect in the .cfg OR remove the heavy black smoke altogether

can anyone give me a steer ?

PRB
February 6th, 2011, 10:54
Nice. Very nice! Thanks Thomas Ruth!
:ernae:

Bjoern
February 6th, 2011, 10:56

The smoke reference is most likely hardcoded into the model.

The only option would be substituing Tom's smoke for another one with the same filename.

thunder100
February 6th, 2011, 11:25
its really well done !

but I need to switch (reduce) the engine smoke effect and I cant find the reference to it in the aircraft.cfg or in the FSX main effects folder...

I wanted to substitute another effect in the .cfg OR remove the heavy black smoke altogether

Look to simviation-->there is an update-->the effects texture is missing

Roland

papab
February 6th, 2011, 12:33
For the smoke fix go here: http://simviation.com/1/front-page

Home page under FSX civil jets there is a fix

Tried it and it works,smoke normal now

Rick

heywooood
February 6th, 2011, 19:17
ok - just got home from the SB party - congrats to all the Packer fans

thank you to all who posted and linked the smoke fix - got it and it works:salute:

Bruce Thompson
February 7th, 2011, 04:32
Thank you Thomas for another great tubliner.

Can anybody tell me how to fix the Nav Lights, they seem to be reversed, i.e. Red where it should be Green and Green where it should be Red.

Smoke fix works fine.

Bjoern
February 7th, 2011, 08:40
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/t3h_3vil/FS%20Development/Preview_A.jpg

Hm. United next?

delta_lima
February 7th, 2011, 12:53
Hm. United next?

I've been watching this tube with great anticipation - nice to see it's hit the air.

I know it's just dreaming, but my two votes would be

1) CP - what I'd fly around in as a kid domestically (I know that's the 100 model, not the one actually modelled, but I'm not complaining). It would also depend on how the model handles polished metal textures ....

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3353/3422793089_a5f46542a1.jpg

2) Iberia (retro) what I'd fly around in as a kid when visiting relatives in Spain. While the current livery is artistically clever, it doesn't inspire anywhere near the memories and classic appeal of the classic 70's liveries ...

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTE7zYYf8YanWAiHtSRahqUpGnDWC7yw QmScMFrGwlj8erdkfaRNg&t=1

Again, many B727 airlines out there, all at least as deserving - just throwing my personal faves into the ring.

thanks,

dl

papab
February 7th, 2011, 15:01
Anyone else having this issue....

When I select the aircraft by "Thomas Ruth" the luftansa model does not show
If I look under "all" there it is...

Looked in the .cfg file and can not seem to figure it out

Ideas?

Rick

dharris
February 8th, 2011, 05:51
I have been using this plane and have had no problems with it at all. This is exceptional work especially considering it is freeware.
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w295/dharris1_photo/2011-2-7_17-58-55-671.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w295/dharris1_photo/2011-2-7_17-58-43-213.jpg

iheart707
February 8th, 2011, 08:45
Tom, you truly did a great amount of work on this forgotten classic. The airplane feels like a 727 should – and that’s most important. High praise to you!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I took the airplane on a nice little hop from KMDW-KDEN a few hours ago and noticed some "issues".<o:p></o:p>
1. Anybody else having difficulty tracking a VOR using the autopilot? When you rotate the Autopilot Mode selector to Nav hold, it seems to do nothing - however I found that LOC does. Then once you finally can track the VOR, the airplane rolls quite s-l-o-w-l-y. Could this be a programing quirk or something that I'm doing wrong...<o:p></o:p>
2. Does anyone know if you can get the portside cargo door open on the UPS airplane? Is it even possible on the cargo jets?<o:p></o:p>

iheart707
February 8th, 2011, 08:49
Repainters should not forget about the detail on the wings for emergency exists! I believe that some airlines decided to have the walkway painted, but not all.

BTW: An American Airlines retro repaint would look sweet!

papab
February 8th, 2011, 09:33
2. Does anyone know if you can get the portside cargo door open on the UPS airplane? Is it even possible on the cargo jets?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

SHIFT E 2 or 3 forget which one worked for me

Rick

srgalahad
February 8th, 2011, 10:40
2. Does anyone know if you can get the portside cargo door open on the UPS airplane? Is it even possible on the cargo jets?<o:p></o:p>

**** Page 8
Shft E +2 but not when center engine is running

(that's why they spend so much time making manuals)

iheart707
February 8th, 2011, 11:33
I see his note on the fact that the engines need to be off to open the door. For some reason I must have missed that on the first read through... Thanks folks, that fixed it.

That's interesting! I wonder how he programed that nifty trick!

Bjoern
February 8th, 2011, 12:48
Tom is working on a nav light fix, the -ADV and the "Super 27" now.

1) CP

I'll consider it, but don't get your hopes up. I prefer doing Kelowna or Air Canada first.

2) Iberia (retro)

Passing on that one.

1. Anybody else having difficulty tracking a VOR using the autopilot? When you rotate the Autopilot Mode selector to Nav hold, it seems to do nothing - however I found that LOC does. Then once you finally can track the VOR, the airplane rolls quite s-l-o-w-l-y. Could this be a programing quirk or something that I'm doing wrong...<o:p></o:p>

Aircraft.cfg -> [Autopilot] -> Play with those values:

max_bank_acceleration=1.8
max_bank_velocity=3.00

I like you just for saying that. :d

That's interesting! I wonder how he programed that nifty trick!

It ain't magic; it's just XML coding.

delta_lima
February 8th, 2011, 13:14
Thanks for considering, Bjoern.

dl

iheart707
February 8th, 2011, 22:38
It ain't magic; it's just XML coding.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I know, I know... But the entire realm of coding is in many ways, a foreign of a language to many aviators (including me). You don't have to take the love out of it ya know! :rolleyes:

Pepere
February 9th, 2011, 09:03
Thanks Tom, Very nice aircraft in every respects.

Thanks again,

David

Bruce Thompson
February 9th, 2011, 10:57
Anybody else having the problem with the nav lights?

i.e.Port is Starboard and visa versa.

Bjoern
February 9th, 2011, 12:16
<!--?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /--><o:p></o:p>You don't have to take the love out of it ya know! :rolleyes:

Once you get behind the magic, the love is gone. Can't change it.

Anybody else having the problem with the nav lights?

i.e.Port is Starboard and visa versa.

In my last post I've announced that Tom is working on a fix...

Bruce Thompson
February 9th, 2011, 13:10
Thanks Bjoern I missed that, it's my age you know.

Curtis P40
February 9th, 2011, 13:50
I'm liking this.:jump: After moving to FSX, I realized how many aircraft I had downloaded and not used compared to the ones I really miss. The default aircraft got old pretty fast and I've downloaded only a few FSX aircraft that I had in 9. After a short flight with Thomas's 727 from Indy to Louisville, I think this is a keeper ! Good job Mr Ruth.
Curt

Steam gauges over glass, any day.:icon_lol:

Bjoern
February 9th, 2011, 13:57
Almost forgot...

For those who care, here's another version of the paintkit. I'm not a big fan of "paint before you cut up", so I've shuffled the panel lines etc...around a bit. Now you can paint the fuselage directly on the main texture file with all the separate panel lines, etc...layers intact.

http://www.mediafire.com/?cygrtrpfwufknys

StormILM
February 9th, 2011, 17:22
I'm not sure if anyone had noticed that the N1, N2, & EGT gauge needles ran high off scale when at full throttle. I ended up going into the gauge pack and adjusting the XML's of those gauges to reflect more of a EPR "limiter" effect on the readings at TO/GA power settings. I also noticed that the -200 model seemed a little underpowered and hit the wall at FL310 with 50% fuel at full thrust. I upped the thrust to the late JT8D at 17,400lbst. That made all the difference in the world on getting it established in cruise alt. I'd like to get this update posted but first I want to make sure it's okay with Thomas Ruth. He stated mods were welcome within the copyright respects but just want to be on the safe side.

Saw the first repaint today for DHL Cargo. Very nice!
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

thunder100
February 9th, 2011, 23:28
Congrats Tom& DANKE

As owner of all FS 727's (my second love to Connie's) and comparing it (Including the CS ones !!

really very well made

Roland

Bjoern
February 10th, 2011, 06:47
I'm not sure if anyone had noticed that the N1, N2, & EGT gauge needles ran high off scale when at full throttle. I ended up going into the gauge pack and adjusting the XML's of those gauges to reflect more of a EPR "limiter" effect on the readings at TO/GA power settings.

POST IT! NOW! :icon_lol:

From what I've heard of him posting mods is always okay, as long as credit is given where credit is due.

I also noticed that the -200 model seemed a little underpowered and hit the wall at FL310 with 50% fuel at full thrust.

Early -200s came with the same engines than used on the -100, hence their disappointing performance.

That's also the reason why Boeing offered a JATO package for the early -200 and AFAIK most -200s were upgraded to the -ADV standard later on which brought more powerful engines.

Saw the first repaint today for DHL Cargo. Very nice!
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I've started one for the -100 yesterday. The legendary and awesome Saul Bass livery for UAL.

Not sure what to do with the -200 'though. It's going to get the later 1990s gray UAL livery for sure. This leaves the late Saul Bass one with the big titles still for painting. I just can't decide if the -100 or the -200 should get it.

Also, I've set my sights on DAL's late "Widget" livery with the all black nose. And the short lived 1997 one.

And there's still AAL...

Argh! Too...much...to...paint...too...little...time...

StormILM
February 10th, 2011, 13:53
Hi Bjoern, I did email Tom the gauges and asked permission just to be safe. The power adjustments in the config I made do reflect the more the upgraded JT8D-17R thrust tables of the -200ADV. When I looked at the config, it was set for 14,500lbst which at the higher gross weight of the -200 @ 209,500lbs was very anemic on takeoff and hit the wall at FL310 or below with a moderate climb profile. The -17R thrust setting in the config did the trick for me but to anyone wishing backdate to -15 & -17 thrust settings will get a bit better performance than the original config settings. I know a couple of retired Captains(Piedmont & US Air) who flew the 72's over their careers and I remember them telling me about the engine upgrades over the years they flew them. They surely liked the ADV's performance & reliability.

This is one great freeware model! I've been flying it every day since release.:wiggle:

fliger747
February 10th, 2011, 19:07
I was not unusual to see 727's with a mix of engines. I remember being tossed off the jumseat in Denver one Summer day for "weight"... all 165 lbs.... To turn off the smoke, about the only way with JT8D's that I know of is to pull the fuel control switch to cutoff. The advent of then 737-400 and it's kin, spelled the doom of the 727 for much of any mailine service.

An initial altitude of 310 at a high weight sounds about right. Even the 747-400 taking off at 870000 lbs doesn't like much higher to start with.

Cheers: T

Bjoern
February 11th, 2011, 08:37
Dang, someone beat me to the FedEx repaint.

Gives me more time for cursing at United for not washing their airplanes.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/t3h_3vil/FS%20Development/th_OMG_United_1.jpg (http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/t3h_3vil/FS%20Development/OMG_United_1.jpg)

When I looked at the config, it was set for 14,500lbst which at the higher gross weight of the -200 @ 209,500lbs was very anemic on takeoff and hit the wall at FL310 or below with a moderate climb profile.

As I've said: The -200 initially shipped with the -100s engines.

Hence:
http://aviationtrivia.blogspot.com/2010/04/ive-always-had-soft-spot-for-boeing-727.html

(Piedmont & US Air)

Also on my list.

The old logos are a bit tough to come by though.

fliger747
February 11th, 2011, 10:23
In the late 60's Alaska (AKA Elastic) Airlines had a whole series of various Alaska theme tails, the Eskimo (from Kotzebue) being only one of the bunch. The Eskimo originally didn't have a smile either!

Cheers: T

Bjoern
February 11th, 2011, 10:37
In the late 60's Alaska (AKA Elastic) Airlines had a whole series of various Alaska theme tails, the Eskimo (from Kotzebue) being only one of the bunch. The Eskimo originally didn't have a smile either!

That Inuit makes the livery awfully hard to paint.

I prefer Wien Air myself. Especially their late, red livery was simple, good looking and straight to the point.

CG_1976
February 11th, 2011, 13:48
If someone is up for a req please, First Air still flies the 727C up here in the high Arctic.
http://www.airliners.net/photo/First-Air/Boeing-727-233-Adv%28F%29/0778311/L/

robcap
February 13th, 2011, 01:59
Check this nice video on SimFlight.com
http://simflight.com/2011/02/12/viking-aviation-iran-air-b727-200/

Cheers, R.

fliger747
February 13th, 2011, 09:04
Ah yes, First Air, rode on them about two decades ago from Either Ottawa or Toronto to what I will call Frobisher Bay, as I can't spell Igaluit???? Rode on Wein on just about the last revenue flight, SEA-FAI. Still a lot of the old codgers from Wein kicking about up here.

I remember taking the turbojet Flight Engineer exam, which used the 727 at the time. Amazingly the only engineer ticket I hold is for turboprops.....

In the long run, the wing mounted engines worked out better and the 737 had more room for continued development. I still see a lot of 727's flying, marked up in DHL colors etc. All the guys that I know that have flown the 27 gave it high marks.

T

Bjoern
February 13th, 2011, 10:32
Also, TWA:

W_ErZ1nakd0

I need a stencil for the "globe" from their last livery.

Wein ... Wein

They were called "Wien". :rolleyes:

kilo delta
February 13th, 2011, 11:58
I need a stencil for the "globe" from their last livery.

Can you make one from this.. http://danhealystudios.com/wp-content/gallery/twa/twa-design-1.jpg ?

Bjoern
February 13th, 2011, 13:33
Can you make one from this.. http://danhealystudios.com/wp-content/gallery/twa/twa-design-1.jpg ?

No. Also, I refuse to paint the old livery as it came with that widely used butt ugly small black dot on the nose. A typical disease on 1970s liveries. Fortunately most carriers got rid of it later on.

This is the livery I was referring to:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Trans-World-Airlines/Boeing-727-231-Adv/1188842/L/

TWA is still down the road though. Haven't even finished all the UAL paints yet.

StormILM
February 14th, 2011, 03:46
Just got an email from Tom and he gave me the green light to upload my modification of his XML gauges for the N1, N2, EGT gauges of the 727 pack. I will be out of position for several hours to get this uploaded but I will get it done later this afternoon/evening in hopes it will be available no later than tomorrow. As I noted before, the change will not effect performance but rather the N1, N2, & EGT gauge readings at higher power settings will be within the max limits listed on the gauges rather than high off scale.

I will post back later when the upload is done.

:ernae:

falgul
February 14th, 2011, 10:15
Sorry I can't download this aircraft... could you send me the link again..
Thanks..

delta_lima
February 14th, 2011, 11:58
Here you go!

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxac&DLID=156453

dl

StormILM
February 15th, 2011, 11:50
My 727 gauge update is now available over at flightsim.com in the new files section. The file name is: tr727_gauge_update.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=153790)

falgul
February 15th, 2011, 20:07
delta_lima

Thanks a lot I will try ...

sknepper
February 24th, 2011, 13:37
With the little texture and gauge updates for the N2 gauges, I'm very impressed by this great classic :wiggle:

Bjoern
February 25th, 2011, 06:44
In case you haven't noticed already, Paul Craig has been pumping out quite a lot of paints for the 727 on Flightsim.com.

Well worth looking at.

luftwulf
February 25th, 2011, 07:28
Added the CS Weather Radar

[VCockpit01]
background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=1024,1024
visible=1
pixel_size=1024,1024
texture=$VC01

gauge60=tom727100!stormscope, 579,394,183,183

for

gauge60=WXR!wr_display, 579,394,183,183

Bruce Thompson
February 27th, 2011, 02:33
A new version tom7272.zip is now up at Avsim.

papab
February 27th, 2011, 03:54
Do I need to uninstall the original aircraft or just overwrite the existing files?

Rick

Daube
February 27th, 2011, 04:17
A new version tom7272.zip is now up at Avsim.
Downloaded, thanks a lot of the info :ernae:

Bjoern
February 27th, 2011, 04:51
Do I need to uninstall the original aircraft or just overwrite the existing files?

Overwriting will do, but I would set up an extra folder for the -ADV, since it differs in terms of MTOW from the standard -200.

papab
February 27th, 2011, 07:40
Thanks Bjoern!

Rick

Bjoern
February 27th, 2011, 09:12
Just a hint (to make matters more complicated):

Every possible configuration (standard, FMC, INS) consists of...

- A panel.cfg for the specific gauges
- Customized interior.mdl
- A customized VC01.dds and VC01_l.dds

The Hapag LLoyd config (pax model, Hapag textures) uses the INS, while the cargo config uses the model file and texture of the FMS. Appropriate panel.cfgs will have to be added manually.

This is not obvious at first until you notice a messed up FMC/INS area when installing repaints.

It takes a bit of grey matter to resolve this or to draw up a perfectly working combination when using repaints, but you'll manage. Take this info as a starting point, plan and THINK!

/Out of here

shahab
March 14th, 2011, 19:13
Hi
Tanks tomas ruth for this nice aircraft. one of this aircraft repaints (By paul Craig) is Iran air EP-IRP she crashed about january 2011 in Uromiyeh-Iran ( OITR) near airport in one snow night after miss approach and 75 person of passengers and flight crew has died!!!
I have a problem with this model and the other tom aircraft . In night view I have no logo light! I have service pack 1 & 2
May I ask some one help me to fix my problem?
thank you

Bjoern
March 15th, 2011, 10:49
No logo light: Most probably a bug in the model file. You can't do anything about it.