PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone upated the Alphasim Mustang III and P-51B model?

Captain Kurt
February 6th, 2011, 07:49
That is to say a model updated same way that the Alphasim P-51D model was - so that it was AI and mission builder useable?

The original model does not display prop, spinner, or landing gears except on the player A/C. It's a shame because otherwise this is a nice model.

BTW I found that the P-51B model is another missing file in the archives, if anyone whas it and would like to upload it again, I'm sure it would be appreciated.

Jagdflieger
February 6th, 2011, 16:03
Captain Kurt,

I don't think much can be done as the software used to make the P-51B was probably pre-FSDS 2 or GMAX and thus AI has no prop or landing gear when used as AI or infrastructure.

No problem though, as the Donationware P-51B is much newer and more detailed.

You can get it here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=68

Captain Kurt
February 7th, 2011, 10:30
Thanks Jagd, but I know about the Donationware - I've even done a couple of skins for it available here at SOH. But it is not openware like the Alphasim version. Any further development other than skins is severely restricted.

The problem for me is that I have started the development of a new campaign which dependent exclusively on the P-51B and P-51D. The FDG P-51s don't have the performance to work in the missions

While the Donationware P-51B and P-51D are great models, unfortunately they don't have the top airspeeds, the operational range and other handling characteristics of the real aircraft. I don't mean any criticism to FDG2. They fly well enough, they just don't meet the operational and performance parameters of the real planes.

In fact, none of the free CFS2 Mustang models available - including the much favored Wai version - have accurate performance modeling. I've spent the last couple of weeks testing every model I can find, so I know now. I haven't tried any payware models but that's beyond the scope of anything to be used in a free campaign anyway.

That leaves me to build brand new P-51B & P-51D flight models - air and aircraft cfg. files.

I have just finished doing a new flight model for the Alphasim P-51D, along with a new accurate panel and other tweaks. It will now reach the published top speeds and range, while maintaining the climb, turn and dive characteristics of the real P-51D. I would have liked to do the same for the P-51B.

If the Donationware P-51B is the only viable P-51B model, then I'll need to ask for permission to fool with it.

Jagdflieger
February 7th, 2011, 13:13
Cpt Kurt,

I can present your request to the powers that be regarding the Donationware P-51B/C. I don't see it being an issue. I'll start the request procedure and keep you posted in this thread.

I'm sure that an updated flight model for the DWare Mustang would be appreciated by all.

gigabyte
February 7th, 2011, 14:09
Captian Kurt, not that this is any direct concern of mine, so many would have just had their way with the model and bragged about the improvements, but you sir are doing the honorable thing - ASKING for permission to modify someone else's work. :salute::salute::salute:

Captain Kurt
February 7th, 2011, 16:20
Thanks Jagd, I appreciate that.

Gigabyte, thanks - gotta do what's right

Strafing_run
February 7th, 2011, 23:11
Hi Captain Kurt, I have uploaded the Alpha P-51B that I have. Hope this is the one you were talking about.

Captain Kurt
February 8th, 2011, 19:20
Thanks, Strafing Run, that is nice of you. I'm not really sure - the title is right but the model is the RAF Mustang III and comes with British ordinance. I never had a copy of the Alpha P-51B files.

Anybody else know if there were 2 different models or were there identical files with different names?

Jagdflieger
February 8th, 2011, 21:12
Captain Kurt,

I haven't hear anything back yet, but we're still working on it.

I only recall the RAF textures in the AS B/C model. My library contains no USAAF skins for it either. I don't think that it was very popular as it never appeared much in addons or in the forum for that matter. I don't think that it was multi-res and that may have been problematic for it back in the earlier days of steam powered computers when it was originally released.

Strafing_run
February 9th, 2011, 01:19
Captain Kurt, I have attached a list of all the 51B's I have in my collection. Let me know if you want me to upload any of them.

Vb_p51bshangrila.zip
VB P51B - DingHao.zip
sc-JRL-P51B-C.zip
sc-jrl-p51b.zip
P-51B Two Pack.zip (AF Scrub)
P-51B Mustang (Hofer).zip (this originates as VB aircraft)
P51VFTCFS2FS02.zip (Duxford legends a/craft)
Mustang P51B_1%.zip
FDG2_p51b_CFS2_Install.zip

Gramps
February 9th, 2011, 12:09
capt kurt,

Do what ya need to with the mustang........ and thanks for asking.:salute: :wiggle:

Captain Kurt
February 9th, 2011, 18:47
:ernae: Gramps and Jagdfleiger,

Thank you very much for your support!!

Captain Kurt
February 9th, 2011, 19:02
Hi Strafing Run,

I've tested all of the ones on your list except for the 1%. If you don't mind posting that one, I'd love to test it out. The 1% P-51D model didn't meet range and speed performance though.

I think all of the developers were concerned with getting the dogfight capabilites working acceptably, i.e. bank, climb and dive, and they did pretty much. But they must not have looked at cruise, top and stall speed, acceleration and range as those did not affect the plane's performance in furballs very much. In fact, the Alpha sim P-51D even omitted the aft center tank altogether as that limits aerobatic performance when it is full. In historical type missions though, those parameters matter a lot.

Thanks

Strafing_run
February 10th, 2011, 01:03
Here you go ;)

Captain Kurt
February 11th, 2011, 20:58
Thanks for posting this one Strafing_run. The flight model isn't accurate either but I appreciate adding it to my collection of P-51Bs.