PDA

View Full Version : im wondering

jeansy
February 5th, 2011, 18:44
Ive read a few posts and im wondering

how many painters out there base their purchase on the quality or availability of a paintkit ?

PRB
February 5th, 2011, 18:50
I admit to being a bit perplexed at this trend myself. It’s not as though the lack of a paint kit prevents repaints from being made, after all. A bit more difficult, perhaps, but that’s all.

gera
February 5th, 2011, 18:51
Ive read a few posts and im wondering

how many painters out there base their purchase on the quality or availability of a paintkit ?

good question Matt, I also wonder....it sounds like " If you don't give me a piantkit, I'll cry may heart out and tell my daddy"..Hohoho...

jankees
February 5th, 2011, 22:25
I base my purchases on the type of aircraft first (tubes and most GA do not hold much interest, though some I like), the quality of the model second ( I love the Spitfire, but have not bought the JF version, question of personal taste, I would also have loved a Sunderland, but...) and I can say that the availability of a paintkit plays only a minor role. For instance, the WBS P-51D does not come with a paintkit (yet), but that did not stop me from buying it. On the other hand, the flight1 P-51D did come with a paintkit, and I did not buy it.
I also have done a few paints for aircraft without a paintkit, like the Maam-sim B-25 (or the WBS P-51B and D).

paulb
February 5th, 2011, 22:42
I dont do much painting nowadays, but have done a fair bit over the years - both with and without paintkits.

I can't say that I base a purchase on the availability of a repaint kit. I usually purchase because the aircraft is of interest to me and because the quality (modelling especially) is excellent.

However, I can see how the availability of a paint kit will influence purchasers generally. The availablity of a good paint kit (easy to use) usually results in more repaints becoming available and therefore gives the purchaser a wider choice of liveries for that aircraft. That can often tip a possible purchase into the must have category.

I know, from hard experience, that it takes a lot, lot longer to paint an aircraft from scratch than it takes using a decent paintkit.

Lazerbeak
February 5th, 2011, 23:21
I don't base my purchase 100% on a paintkit, but if there is one, and it is good, then it will influence heavily.

I almost don't fly the sim at all anymore, most of my fun comes from painting. But, I don't have a lot of time for hobbies, so if a good paintkit already comes with a package, I can spend more time just painting straightaway instead of making paintkits.

Of course, if a product looks great, and it's a plane I like, then I will buy it, even if there's no PK. But, as a painter, a good PK is a big boost for me, and makes it more likely that I will buy a product.