PDA

View Full Version : Flying Wild Alaska the show

TeiscoDelRay
February 5th, 2011, 15:53
Great show but average america would rather see some guys bidding on storage container contents than real life drama.

OleBoy
February 5th, 2011, 15:57
what's funny is the way ratings are gained by the average every day couch potato who's got nothing better to do but watch TV

Railrunner130
February 5th, 2011, 17:44
It's a good show. The daughter is really a pistol and you can see where dad tries to keep her figuratively grounded. The flying is incredible. I wish they'd show more of the austere landings. The one landing from the other night where he dragged the main tires through the water to slow the airplane before putting her down on the sand barge was really cool.

simkid22
February 5th, 2011, 18:25
http://oddballpilot.com/2011/01/interview-doug-doherty-era-alaska/

PRB
February 5th, 2011, 18:30
It's a good show. The daughter is really a pistol and you can see where dad tries to keep her figuratively grounded. The flying is incredible. I wish they'd show more of the austere landings. The one landing from the other night where he dragged the main tires through the water to slow the airplane before putting her down on the sand barge was really cool.

And, it would seem, literally grounded as well. I loved Dad’s reaction when she said she wanted to get her pilot’s license. “Most people who have their pilot’s license because it’s the only thing they ever wanted, it was a passion. For you it’s like ‘hmm, should I get my pilot’s license, or go shopping?’” :icon_lol: This is a good show. No idea what the ratings are, but I’m enjoying it.

BrittMac
February 6th, 2011, 00:24
I am liking the show quite a bit. I was apprehensive that it would be another cookie cutter, reality TV show. It still has those elements, at least the way the show is formatted, but doesn't seem as gimmicky as some other shows.
I can't stomach some of the eskimo food they are eating though. Yikes!
I agree about the daughters first thoughts about getting her license, but, I think that some of that is creative editing by the show's editors. It is obvious the girl is comfortable in planes as evidenced by the funny shots of her sleeping on previous flights. However, she seems really excited after her first left-seat flight. I wish I had the same opportunities she has, but without eating seal fin or whale blubber! Oh, she is a cutie too (very bubbly personality it seems).
I like the show and look forward to watching it next Friday. Great scenes when they are landing in challenging areas.

Daveroo
February 6th, 2011, 07:53
isnt there a ground school for pilots lic anymore?..just 40 hours in the left seat she said?...seems odd to me...or maybe im all wet...what are the requirments to get a lic..forget the medical part..i dont qualify .....lol...

TeiscoDelRay
February 6th, 2011, 07:59
I am sure if we like this show it will be short lived, seems that is the trend. This show was our consolation prize for not getting Ice Pilots here so I hope the plane guys and for the sure the bush plane guys watch it and be vocal about.

I know there are other threads here about this subject but one more is better and a hundred more would be much better. You think they don't see this stuff? They do, they have people that search the internet for key words and threads like this show up, sort of a cheap focus group. So lets talk about it and talk about it a lot.

spotlope
February 6th, 2011, 09:57
If they find some more ways to get those Tweto girls into bikinis, I predict their ratings will start to rise.

heywooood
February 6th, 2011, 10:08
funny - I had just that thought exactly when they jumped off the bridge...

Odie
February 6th, 2011, 10:09
Two thumbs up on this one....good mix of Alaska history & living along with the flying! Good stuff.

Railrunner130
February 6th, 2011, 14:50
And, it would seem, literally grounded as well. I loved Dad’s reaction when she said she wanted to get her pilot’s license. “Most people who have their pilot’s license because it’s the only thing they ever wanted, it was a passion. For you it’s like ‘hmm, should I get my pilot’s license, or go shopping?’” :icon_lol: This is a good show. No idea what the ratings are, but I’m enjoying it.

But he gave her a shot. And while I agree 99% with that statement dad made, everone deserves a chance. And he gave it to her. Who knows, will it be her niche in life? I really doubt it. I think she's after the guy she flew with.

glennc
February 6th, 2011, 16:33
It'll be fun watching the story develop. I wonder if one of Dad's concerns is losing half his station crew if she makes it to her commercial license. That will take a while unless she goes someplace she can fly more regularly than Unalakeet (SP?). I got a kick out of using a Cessna 207 as a primary trainer. I can't believe Dad will hold that attitude if she does have the family flying genes. He already has one husband/wife team.

I'm enjoying the series a lot. I agree - it'll probably be short lived. We'll see.

Glenn

Railrunner130
February 7th, 2011, 03:49
I think the 207 was used mainly for an orientation ride for Ariel. I think Jim's main concern is flushing money down the drain. While I really enjoy Ariel, I think my assessment of her is similar to what Jim was saying without saying, she's a bubblehead. She may prove us all wrong. Time will tell.

W. Bleddyn
February 7th, 2011, 04:38
While I really enjoy Ariel, I think my assessment of her is similar to what Jim was saying without saying, she's a bubblehead. She may prove us all wrong. Time will tell.

Don't count on it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cslbz3X2mQE

TeiscoDelRay
February 7th, 2011, 07:33
They have to put a little soap opera into it in between the flying. Will she get her pilots liscence, will she date one of the young pilots working for her dad, will she run off to Hollywood, will she put on a bikini again? Ok back to flying.

Willy
February 7th, 2011, 07:49
I'm liking the show.

glennc
February 7th, 2011, 16:30
Does she look like she could be the sister of an actress in another series? Kono!

The Wipeout video does change image I had. Now I'm not so sure I take the story at face value.

Glenn

imn2sims
February 7th, 2011, 20:26
Those of you who watch the show and also own the Carenado 185 Tundra might like http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/1600-carenado-c185f-bush-tundra/
Steve