PDA

View Full Version : Portland by Orbx

BOOM
February 4th, 2011, 03:45
Just in case some of you haven't seen these fantastic preview shots of a "FREEWARE" project that Orbx is working on.

mal998
February 4th, 2011, 03:53
As we've come to expect from Orbix...Superb!

paulb
February 4th, 2011, 04:38
Excellent!

I am looking forward to it.

mmann
February 4th, 2011, 04:53
Which, yet again, makes me wish my computer had a little more umph!

I tried their Vashon Muni/Wax Orchard freeware but after watching the slide show for a couple of minutes I reluctantly had to obey my computer's complaints and delete the scenery from my hard drive.

For the same reason, I unfortunately can't fly over Vancouver, BC or Seattle, WA. On the other hand the bush country parts of Orbx PNW work great. Those with even more performance challenged computers than mine, unfortunately, can't even add the Orbx regions to their FSX setup.

Regards, Mike Mann

AndyE1976
February 4th, 2011, 05:00
PNW does seem to be more demanding than Oz is. I was sure that adding Tamworth to my FTX OZ setup would bring my machine to its knees, but it actually works fine and I get good framerates.

PNW struggles on mine and in certain mountainous places just crashes it. New machine is required I think, it's great scenery if you can get the most out of it.

Cazzie
February 4th, 2011, 06:03
Which, yet again, makes me wish my computer had a little more umph!

I tried their Vashon Muni/Wax Orchard freeware but after watching the slide show for a couple of minutes I reluctantly had to obey my computer's complaints and delete the scenery from my hard drive.

For the same reason, I unfortunately can't fly over Vancouver, BC or Seattle, WA. On the other hand the bush country parts of Orbx PNW work great. Those with even more performance challenged computers than mine, unfortunately, can't even add the Orbx regions to their FSX setup.

Regards, Mike Mann

Ditto here Mike, cities lug me down too, also Vashon Island. But the back country has nary a hit over default. It's the same on the east coast or in Europe, cities are a no-no. You know something, that's just like real life for me, cities are a no-no.! :>)

Caz

paulb
February 4th, 2011, 07:18
Well, the fantastic OrbX NA scenery has just caused me to change my pc. I can run it (eg from their add-on airports) ok with my current machine. Note that I said ok and not great. But when I add a complex payware aircraft, well things are not good.............:icon_eek:

I have taken the view that, however good 'Flight' is, realistically MS will not have detailed photoscenery covering the whole world. Currently, I love the thought of OrbX with FEX and a nice (fairly complex) aircraft. So, as it don't think that Flight will match this overall (no matter how good it will be in other respects - and I will no doubt buy it) I made the decision to have a better pc now to run OrbX - and their future releases.

I will be loading FSX/OrbX etc over this weekend. Hopefully everything will look good!

warchild
February 4th, 2011, 07:41
::LOL: Thanks for reminding me I have doctors appointment up there on monday. ::lol:: It looks awesome guys.. Thank yiu :) :) :)

paulb
February 4th, 2011, 07:43
::LOL: Thanks for reminding me I have doctors appointment up there on monday. ::lol:: It looks awesome guys.. Thank yiu :) :) :)

Can you see their office in the pics?............................;)

warchild
February 4th, 2011, 07:56
Can you see their office in the pics?............................;)

Nooo, its at the VA hospitl up on th Hill to the left and out of the picture.. but the rest of the town looks pretty darned good :)..

paulb
February 4th, 2011, 09:58
LOL :icon_lol:

Cheers

Paul

btw I hope that all goes well for you.

limjack
February 4th, 2011, 18:48
Man are we being spoiled in the NW. That's my home town where I grew up, so exciting to see it coming to Flight sim in this way. Absolutely stunning!!!!

Jim

CodyValkyrie
February 4th, 2011, 18:53
Those of you from Portland will appreciate this:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AVmq9dq6Nsg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

limjack
February 4th, 2011, 19:07
LOL Cody. Actually they showed part of that video up here in Seattle a few weeks back on the news. I do miss my 4 hour work weeks and my double decker bicycle when I lived down there.

Jim

CodyValkyrie
February 4th, 2011, 19:13
I have lived in the area nearly my whole life. When I saw that IFC was making a short series called Portlandia, and I saw this video, I was hooked.

I LOVE that Orbx is cranking out my resident city.

OleBoy
February 4th, 2011, 19:25
LOL.the dream of the 90's is in Portland. It's the same in Seattle. Don't get lost. The culture alone will shock you.

Almost forgot, it will be nice to see how surreal Orbx rendered Portland.