PDA

View Full Version : FS9 on Windows 7

Blackbird686
February 3rd, 2011, 15:07
Will FS9 run on Windows 7? I have a new PC, (not like I have enough already...) with Windows 7 installed. Just was curious as I REFUSE to go over to the "Dark Side" LOL!

BB686:USA-flag:

Barfly
February 3rd, 2011, 15:18
I run it on Windows 7 no problems on a secondary, standard hard drive. I tried it on the main SSD operating system drive with problems - it frequently refused to load.

rich12545
February 3rd, 2011, 17:16
I have win7 x64 Ultimate and one hard drive. No problems.

rpjkw
February 3rd, 2011, 17:54
From what I've read, FS9 and Win 7 play nicely together, especially if FS9 is not installed into the Program files (something about 'ownership' problems when installing new aircraft or scenery). Since I'll be upgrading to Win 7 soon, I'm following the thread closely.

Bob

ThinkingManNeil
February 3rd, 2011, 18:11
I've been running FS9 for nearly a year on a Dell PC running Windows 7 on a dedicated 1 TB secondary HD with only a few minor hiccups, but otherwise I'm quite happy with it.

N.

fliger747
February 3rd, 2011, 18:20
I run both FS9 and FSX on an ASUS Laptop with an I7 chip and Win 7. Works really well. The x86 programs are in a different sub folder, seperate from "programs".

T

Naismith
February 3rd, 2011, 20:15
I have win7 x64 Ultimate and one hard drive. No problems.

ditto

phantomx1
February 3rd, 2011, 20:32
I am on Windows 7 with FS9 in location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9

Current Size = about 10GB

I have problems once in a while. Sometimes the graphics go crazy producing graphics that look like a picasso painting with irregular shards of glass irradicately covering the plane. Looks really weird. For some reason when the aircraft lights are turned on, it will take a frame rate hit in unison with the strobe light's blink rate. I switch off the lights and it's smooth flying.

Two questions:

1. Where is the best place to put FS9 if, Program Files (x86) is not the proper place?

2. If I move FS9, is it safe to just drag and drop a 10GB FS9 folder to a better preferred location?

p3aewguy
February 3rd, 2011, 21:09
I run both FS9 and FSX on an ASUS Laptop with an I7 chip and Win 7. Works really well. The x86 programs are in a different sub folder, seperate from "programs".

T
I'm running on an ASUS laptop also. The only issue I had was Windows 7 saving files as read only or not allowing them in the x86 folder due to the file attributes. I simply changed the attributes of the Microsoft games folder as the admin and no more problems.

Dave

Blackbird686
February 4th, 2011, 09:08
Thanks for all the feedback, chaps. I'll probably have a go once I'm sure the new 'puter is stable and running happily along.

Tom Clayton
February 4th, 2011, 09:43
I am on Windows 7 with FS9 in location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9

Current Size = about 10GB

I have problems once in a while. Sometimes the graphics go crazy producing graphics that look like a picasso painting with irregular shards of glass irradicately covering the plane. Looks really weird. For some reason when the aircraft lights are turned on, it will take a frame rate hit in unison with the strobe light's blink rate. I switch off the lights and it's smooth flying.

Two questions:

1. Where is the best place to put FS9 if, Program Files (x86) is not the proper place?

2. If I move FS9, is it safe to just drag and drop a 10GB FS9 folder to a better preferred location?
I haven't installed FS9 on a 7 platform yet, but from what I've read, people have had good luck with creating a new games folder in the C:\ root and installing there. As for dragging the folder, you need to remember that there's likely registry entires associated with the current installation. As painful as it sounds, if you want to move it, it might be better to completely uninstall it (including deleting the usual "hidden" files) and reinstalling to the new location. That way, the registry entries should be correct.

Disclaimer: Having no first-hand experience with this, I'm going completely from memory and could be totally wrong. Further research is highly recommended.

Blackbird686
February 9th, 2011, 11:53
I noticed on the HD for this new machine that there is 2 sets of "Program File" Folders. "Program Files (X86)" and another tagged just as "Program Files". I wonder if I could just install FS9 into the Program Files folder by changing the path.
Just for the heck of it I installed FSX, it installed to the Program Files (X86) folder. Hmmm. Windows 7 is gonna be a learning curve. If need be, I can get another HD and install FS9 there if need be. I have a 4TB backup HD and my FS9 install might work from there as well. Don't know.

Z-claudius24
February 9th, 2011, 11:59
Hi,

To read .. interesting ! ( "Opa" advises)
http://forum.avsim.net/topic/281410-installing-fs2004-andor-fsx-in-win-7-64-bit/page__p__1746490#entry1746490

Blackbird686
February 9th, 2011, 15:56
Thanks Claudius...

FSX installed just fine, but it's a "slide show" while running. Probably need some more memory for this machine for that sim. I plan to run FS9 on it tho.

Definately will have a go with "Opa's" advise.

Blackbird686
February 10th, 2011, 08:29
OK, I'm going to ask a stupid question because I'm not real swift with Windows 7...:isadizzy:
Does anybody know how to turn off the UAC (User Account Controls)?

In Opa's little blurb on installing FS9/FSX and using them with Windows 7 he mentioned "turning OFF the UAC (User Account Controls).

Thanks in Advance --

Nevermind, I found it. I am assuming that the "Administrator" account is OK to leave alone. There was one "Guest" account but it was not turned on.

Cirrus N210MS
February 10th, 2011, 22:56
fs9 runs great on Windows 7:salute:

Blackbird686
February 11th, 2011, 14:26
Following Opa's procedure posted by Claudius, I got FS9 up and running just fine. I re-installed all of Milton's work as well as the Alpha F-105D for FS9. This will be a modest install tho... I have another machine with an FS9 install that's about 10GB. Thanks for all the responses, chaps!