PDA

View Full Version : 'They Sure Don't Make 'Em Like The Used To'

Panther_99FS
January 30th, 2011, 21:22
zNS0u6USBT8

WqP8c1sFzvI

Bone
January 31st, 2011, 04:38
Other than Star Trek and Lost in Space, which have been talked about lately, here's my favorites from the 1960's made shows...although not in order.

Ironside
Manix
It Takes a Thief
The Name of The Game
A cool Million
The Saint
I Spy
The Wild Wild West
Bonanza
McHales Navy
I Dream of Jeanie
Bewitched
Get Smart
Hogans Heroes
12 O'clock High
The Rat Patrol
The FBI
The Invaders
Have Gun Will Travel
The Mod Squad
Room 222

I'm sure I've forgotten one or two.

wombat666
January 31st, 2011, 04:43
'Callan' and 'The Prisoner'.
Both could hold their own today.
:ernae:

wbuchart
January 31st, 2011, 04:45
Especially The Outer Limits (got season 1 on DVD for Christmas.....). Old and not much of a budget when they did them but still really good viewing........

Bone
January 31st, 2011, 04:49
'Callan' and 'The Prisoner'.
Both could hold their own today.
:ernae:

Ah yes The Prisoner, and that also reminds me of The Avengers. Two great British shows.

Curtis P40
January 31st, 2011, 12:52
Enjoyed all those shows. My favorite one today is...?
Must be getting old.

Navy Chief
January 31st, 2011, 13:15
Although not as old a show as previously mentioned ones, I really enjoyed "Hill Street Blues".

RtWjhN86WLU&feature

EasyEd
January 31st, 2011, 17:23
Hey All,

Lotta good shows there! Where's Combat?

-Ed-

Crusader
January 31st, 2011, 19:43
About Gunsmoke ? One of the longest running shows on TV . Previously mentioned , 12 O'Clock High was also one of my favorites . Three years ago I purchased the entire series(12 O'Clock High) on DVD and I watch all of them at least twice a year .

Cazzie
February 1st, 2011, 04:45
Ed, like you, I'm afraid my TV experience doesn't go far beyond the 1960s. Other than just a very few shows (Carol Burnette), I never really liked the situational comedies of the 1970s. Folks that knew the Beatnik me, will tell you I did not like TV, period. Opiate. I was, and still am, anti-TV, it is even more depressing now than it was then! It has even become more stupid, if that may be said! The same for newspapers. They all became stupid when the corporate structure bought them out and now they show or print what the corporate structure wants them to show or print. Mind control through money!

Off my soapbox, sorry to interrupt y'all's good times. Get in shape, mind and body, turn off the TV.

Caz

n4gix
February 1st, 2011, 09:44
All of those already mentioned are among my favorites. A few more for me are (in no particular order):

"Bonanza"
"Big Valley"
"Wagon Train"
"Little House on the Prairie"
"WKRP"
"Mork and Mindy"
"Bewitched"

Those were the days when all three networks had solid lineups Monday-Friday in prime time, and it was almost always a tough decision which to watch!

It did however allow my mom, dad and I some quality time to actually discuss the offerings and make judgement calls based on their relative merits.

Fortunately, it was also the days when they actually ran all 22 new episodes sequentially and it was almost a given that the summer re-runs would also be run in sequence, thus allowing us to watch the series we'd missed during the main season.

These days it's difficult to actually watch any series in a continuous sequence!

rerun
rerun
preempted for something
#6 (what happened to #5?)
et cetera

Naismith
February 1st, 2011, 13:16
The title of this thread is so correct, and I blv one of the reasons is because there are far too many channels available. In days of yore when there were only 3 or 4 channels, to get your show aired it had to be good or valuable or intellectually stimulating. Nowadays there is just so much airtime to fill that the untalented and unimaginative are given free reign. Hence the proliferation of absolute garbage like the Kardashians, various "Idol" shows etc... and last night I saw listed one reality show finding puppies for families. Sheeesh!
Evidence of this is Discovery, History and National Geographic, even these supposedly higher minded channels have their fair share of unrelated material.
Another bugbear, as an experiment the other day I timed the news V's commercials on CNN for one hour. Result 38 mins of ads in an hour 22 mins of repetitious news.
More sheesh!!

Jagdflieger
February 1st, 2011, 13:58
Well said Naismith.

My favorite TV series were the Rockford Files and the old Hawaii Five-O staring Jack Lord. The new Five-O, while more action and effects driven, is better than most of the trash coming in on my cable. I saw Southland for the first time a few weeks ago and it too was viewable, although most of the actors, like in Five-O, would have been suspended or face criminal charges if they did what they did in real life.

What's the saying... A hundred channels and nothing to watch?

Panther_99FS
February 1st, 2011, 18:59
Manix

vyZL_3bxD68