PDA

View Full Version : Are there any wrecks?

Shadow Wolf 07
January 30th, 2011, 06:02
I have looked and looked and looked but I can't find any. I am looking for wrecks for parked aircraft, infrastructure objects and if ppossible, ships. I looked in the archives under other, scenery, utilities, scenery and aircraft but found nothing except a B-24 Guy's INFO folder for (unfound) infrastructure wrecks.

I'm doing some follow on raids on islands for my Essex campaign and it sure would be nice to have some wrecks and better looking bomb craters.

SW07 :salute:

Rami
January 30th, 2011, 06:39
Shadow Wolf 07,

Shipwrecks: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=12082

Damaged infrastructure: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=10433

Shadow Wolf 07
January 30th, 2011, 07:06
Shadow Wolf 07,

Shipwrecks: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=12082

Damaged infrastructure: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=10433

Thank you Sir Rami. I saw the Hog Islaner wrecks in my search and was hoping for some of the stock ships. It will come in handy though, The infrastructure (structures) is just what I needed - thanks. Now if I can find wrecked planes... :jump:

JapLance
January 30th, 2011, 07:07
A couple more options for sunk ships in

http://www.simviation.com/lair/cfs2sully.htm

http://www.simviation.com/lair/images/Hulls_thmb.jpg
Four Assorted Old Hulks and Lifeboats

'Ships' that appear as old hulks and lifeboats with survivors

There are two hulks, one half-sunken ship and one gaggle of lifeboats.

PSK_hulks.zip

Rami
January 30th, 2011, 07:21
A couple more options for sunk ships in

http://www.simviation.com/lair/cfs2sully.htm

Japlance,

Good call! There's even oil slicks and debris on that page...:salute:

Shadow Wolf 07
January 30th, 2011, 07:58
Unfortunately B-24 Guy's damaged infrastructure does not include the smaller Pacific island type inf objects like hangars and smaller support structures. In my follow on mission the Essex launces another strike on Marcus Is. I guess I can bomb the same stuff again (the Japanese must have some great engineers on hand :) ).

I'd also like to find some more realistic looking bomb craters - will look some more. Thanks guys!

mariereid
January 30th, 2011, 12:14
I have been using Sully's oil slicks. They look pretty good around damaged ships. I use them on land too, lots of smoke and fire. Great for those times when you want to return to your airfield just after an attack. One of the fellas had photos of "junk" a couple of months ago. He had a real nice looking junk yard of aircraft parts, etc.

Nice to see you are keeping busy.:salute::ernae:

simonu
January 30th, 2011, 12:39
Predamaged infrastructure planes don't quite look right. The random damage can leave a fuselage floating in space in a most unconvincing way. You can hand edit the mission file to make them sit at suitably crazy angles but......

Wrecked planes is something I made and lost in a hd failiure long ago.
At that time it was CFS1 planes. I started learning how to hack scasm making them.
I did a betty that was embedded in the ground with just a broken tail sticking up.
A zero that had broken up landing and was spread out, and a wildcat crashed like the one in the intro movie.
There are three types of wreck I planned,
1 Derelicts scavenged for parts by ground crew
2 Planes damaged in raids on the field.
3 Shot down wrecks

Much later I remember a discusion of a B17 wreck that OW was working on.

Which planes would you start with?

Shadow Wolf 07
January 30th, 2011, 12:55
Predamaged infrastructure planes don't quite look right. The random damage can leave a fuselage floating in space in a most unconvincing way. You can hand edit the mission file to make them sit at suitably crazy angles but......

Wrecked planes is something I made and lost in a hd failiure long ago.
At that time it was CFS1 planes. I started learning how to hack scasm making them.
I did a betty that was embedded in the ground with just a broken tail sticking up.
A zero that had broken up landing and was spread out, and a wildcat crashed like the one in the intro movie.
There are three types of wreck I planned,
1 Derelicts scavenged for parts by ground crew
2 Planes damaged in raids on the field.
3 Shot down wrecks

Much later I remember a discusion of a B17 wreck that OW was working on.

Which planes would you start with?

I myself would like wrecked Bettys and Zeros as well as smahed hangars

Jagdflieger
January 30th, 2011, 14:30
Almost all the GIs that visited or invaded Japanese airfields all commented on the number of wrecked aircraft around the perimeters of the airfields. I've always wanted some convincing wrecked airplanes to spread around for authentic looking scenery.

I've tried using pre-dammaged stock MS planes, but as Simonu noted, they don't look quite right. I think if some work was done with the contact points it might help, but I've never got that far with the project.

sc7500
January 30th, 2011, 16:47
I dug these files and notes out of my "Back Pages" tonight... almost all notes and files are 2004-07 and uncredited, but I'll bet they were One-Off's from Simon and B-24 Guy... Maybe even Old Wheat.

See if you can use them - if they work, I'll upload them to the Library !:salute:

SC
:kilroy:

Shadow Wolf 07
January 31st, 2011, 04:47
I dug these files and notes out of my "Back Pages" tonight... almost all notes and files are 2004-07 and uncredited, but I'll bet they were One-Off's from Simon and B-24 Guy... Maybe even Old Wheat.

See if you can use them - if they work, I'll upload them to the Library !:salute:

SC
:kilroy:

Thanks M8, will test them when I get home. I may have to do some editing of missions 2 and 3 but that's okay. :wiggle:

Shadow Wolf 07
January 31st, 2011, 07:02
I myself would like wrecked Bettys and Zeros as well as smahed hangars

Ooops! I d/l and checked... the only one I needed was the Betty and all of them go in as planes in the AIRCRAFT folder. Good stuff though Sierra Charlie. :salute:

Finn
January 31st, 2011, 07:54
Ask Capt. Kurt. In his wonderful campaign there are several sceneries where you take off from a liberated jap base, filled with wrecks of jap planes. As I recall it, there are also some US ruined planes.
Finn

Jagdflieger
January 31st, 2011, 15:14
Finn,

What is the campaign name and the zip name of Cpt. Kirks campaign?

skylane
February 1st, 2011, 00:28
There are a few wrecks available. A B-24 came with the Milne Bay campaign, there is a Betty somewhere, but I donīt remember where...
The problem with these is that they go into the aircraft folder of the sim, and therefore count towards that annoying 100 aircraft limit.

when I want wrecks in my missions I work with available aircraft and give them some damage value. true, they donīt look quite right, but if you arrange several close together, and use some crates between them you get acceptable results.

Sorry, the screenies ar not perfect, the rain and the not yet damaged Lockheed in the foreground distract, but that was the best I could get..

mariereid
February 1st, 2011, 04:01
Hmm.....very much like the "junkyard" I saw a couple of months ago. It was similar but had F4F's. What's a base without a junk pile?:salute::ernae:

bobhegf
February 1st, 2011, 14:32
I do the samething. If you go Simavation and look you will find some shot up US aircraft which look good as well. To adjust the hight that aircraft sit on the ground go to the aircraft config file and there you can adjust the hight.Also you can take the main texture and using black alpha chanel 225 you can paint in damage. The only thing I can`t do is turn them on there side.

Jagdflieger
February 1st, 2011, 14:47
I found a screen shot in my library of my attempts at wrecked aircraft on airfields. Not quite convincing, but it was a start. Perhaps some tweaking of the contact points might help.

I think that if they are made as infrastructure they would be better due the previously mentioned aircraft limit in the aircraft folder.

If you have Cody Coyote's mission building tutorial, you can also find info on this matter on page 104. I've attached it here in case you don't have it.