PDA

View Full Version : Aerosoft Huey X, a word of warning

CHBTheDoctor
January 29th, 2011, 13:00
There may be a problem with the way the huey uses joystick axis and FSUIPC.
See here: http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=42808

My Saitek X52 stick is dead in the Huey (but the throttle works), the saitek rudder paddels are dead as well.
It seems as if I'm not the only one, so if you are using FSUIPC (the registered version) and there the joystick mapping facility, you should maybe wait and see.

OleBoy
January 29th, 2011, 13:06
My Saitek X52 Pro works just fine :salute:

What you might want to try is the SST software. Short of that all I can iterate is you don't have things configured right. A conflict is happening somewhere.
....I don't have rudder pedals so I can't say from that aspect

CHBTheDoctor
January 30th, 2011, 00:58
I just changed my FSUIPC setup to a special profile for the Huey, ignoring the stick and pedals and assigned them in FSX direct, then restarted FSX.

Voilą, stick is moving.

This thread confirms it further, HueyX IS incompatible with FSUIPC controller setup:
http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=42866&view=findpost&p=285959

falcon409
January 30th, 2011, 09:35
Yep, I have a registered copy of FSUIPC but have never used it for mapping my controllers, opting instead to just use the FSX setup. As the Doc mentions, if you have your controller mapped via FSUIPC it will not work in the just released Huey and Mathijs has already stated for the record that it will not be implemented in any future updates, so if you want to fly the Huey, make sure your controls are mapped via FSX and not FSUIPC.:salute:

Just a brief explanation of why that is: In order for Aerosoft to supply an update to allow FSUIPC mapping, everyone who buys the Huey and wants that option would also have to purchase a registered copy of FSUIPC, as that function (controller mapping) is not available in the freeware version.

IanP
January 30th, 2011, 11:44
Because FSUIPC assignments (not calibration - the two things are different, as Pete will explain at length... ;) ) bypass the FSX control settings, if an aircraft is coded to take the device inputs directly and bypass FSX itself, then FSUIPC assignments won't work. Basically, the aircraft is trying to do exactly the same thing that FSUIPC is and that's a major fail.

If an aircraft won't accept FSUIPC assignments, then the FS control system has been bypassed. They did the same to make the Airbus-style autothrottle work in the A320 as well.

Ian P.

CHBTheDoctor
January 30th, 2011, 12:16
So you HAVE to map the axis in FSX.

Of course this makes things easier for the default user but impossible for mappers like me.
In FSUIPC you can set an axis to ignore (I use this for A2A ACCUSIM) AND you can setup profiles.

IMHO A2A did the more perfect solution with their axis mapping tool.

In fact AEROSOFT overrides the FSX setup so it should be not too difficult to add an optional config file that simply stores the axis to be used instead of reading them from the FSX setup.

Maybe Pete can come up with a solution where HE can live with the stick axis still mapped in FSX, but I would never ask him for that. IMHO it would have been more polite of AS if they had tried to coexist with one of his major functions.

I have uninstalled the HueyX for now, after messing around for 3 hours with their workaround (a renamed FSX.cfg) getting no result I decided to take a break and wait some time.

Of course, with a standard setup the HueyX works fine on my system.

PS, Falcon the mapping feature together with the profiles really shines if you have a throttle quadrant, because then you can do individual setups for twin turbos (with reverse) or piston turbos (without) and so on and on, if you ever use it once you will never let it go :jump:
My FSUIPC.ini file has nearly 1700 lines...

IanP
January 30th, 2011, 12:59
I only really have two mappings set up using FSUIPC, but I only use them anyway when my full rig is attached, with a yoke, nine levers and rudder pedals. The two sets of mappings are "2 engine" and "4 engine", but I've tweaked them to pretty much work with anything. The four engine setup has a spare lever, which I have assigned as turbos in both the A2A B377 and B-17.

It is a bit of an issue that Aerosoft have chosen to go down the route they have, but to be fair to them, the vast majority of people who will buy their products do not use FSUIPC and most probably don't even know they have it installed or, if they are aware, what it does!

Ian P.

falcon409
January 30th, 2011, 13:16
. . . . . . .It is a bit of an issue that Aerosoft have chosen to go down the route they have, but to be fair to them, the vast majority of people who will buy their products do not use FSUIPC and most probably don't even know they have it installed or, if they are aware, what it does!

Ian P.
Precisely. . .and despite having a registered version of FSUIPC, I use it for very little other than a few hot key functions I have mapped to a few buttons on my joystick. I have a simple CH Throttle and twist grip joystick. . .I don't fly Commercial aircraft, nor do I care to get so into mapping controls that I would ever mess with FSUIPC. FSX is simple to do, easy, and perfect for the majority of simmers who simply enjoy flying. . .not anything against the more involved simmers who want more out of their flying experience, just the way it is.

Whoever Pete is, I hope he finds a way around the dilemma for folks who don't want to bypass FSUIPC mapping, so more folks can enjoy a very nicely done Heli!

dswo
January 30th, 2011, 15:06
Customizing axis assignments is the main reason I use FSUIPC. On my desk, I have three main controllers: an old Saitek X45 throttle, a CH yoke, and an old Sidewinder joystick. For GA planes, I use the yoke. For fighters and helos, I use the throttle and joystick. FSUIPC switches between the two set-ups automatically, based on the aircraft that is loaded. The system works very smoothly, and I'm not eager to undo it.

IanP
January 30th, 2011, 15:09
Pete Dowson is the author of FSUIPC and integration with Aerosoft's add-ons really isn't his problem, nor is FSUIPC integration Aerosoft's problem, unless either party wants to talk to the other and find a solution. It's just an issue that will always exist when someone takes control away from FSX and puts it in their own add-on.

Otherwise it's a bit like saying that the developers of two weather injection packages, for instance, should make each others' applications work together, because they do the same thing, too!

Cheers,

Ian P.

falcon409
January 30th, 2011, 16:09
Yep, not arguing that fact at all. I just saw a few on the AS Forums that were a bit miffed that Aerosoft would not do some sort of workaround so that they wouldn't have to alter their control setup in order to fly the Huey! It isn't really Aerosoft's job to make it so. If someone wants the AS Huey bad enough, they'll conform, otherwise they'll do without. I'm sure AS will be just fine either way.:salute:

Flame-Prop
December 2nd, 2011, 02:49
So I'm fresh to this problem as well now. Ok so I have no joysticks what so ever, I control the aircraft with the mouse and keyboard....like in many posts above the stick or pedals will not respond. I am soooo confused about their "fix" for this O.o I know this FSUPIC something to do with that and their fancy attempts to make it a nice and realistic model. Did say though they are working on a "patch" 3 weeks in the making required minimum, but this was posted awhile ago. Thought be nice to have a more complete collection of the Bell Huey as Nemeth's Bell models C and H are quite fascinating ...... I wish i knew how to un-freeeeze the controols :tgun2:

CHBTheDoctor
December 2nd, 2011, 03:42
So I'm fresh to this problem as well now. Ok so I have no joysticks what so ever, I control the aircraft with the mouse and keyboard....like in many posts above the stick or pedals will not respond. I am soooo confused about their "fix" for this O.o I know this FSUPIC something to do with that and their fancy attempts to make it a nice and realistic model. Did say though they are working on a "patch" 3 weeks in the making required minimum, but this was posted awhile ago. Thought be nice to have a more complete collection of the Bell Huey as Nemeth's Bell models C and H are quite fascinating ...... I wish i knew how to un-freeeeze the controols :tgun2:

What Aerosoft is doing is (IMHO), they directly intercept the joystick before its used by FSX.

So my problem was, the joystick couldn't be intercepted by FSUIPC.

Your problem is, you don't have a joystick at all, so nothing to intercept.

So i'm afraid that you have to consider buying a joystick or stay with the nemeth Bells

Flame-Prop
December 2nd, 2011, 03:59
What Aerosoft is doing is (IMHO), they directly intercept the joystick before its used by FSX.

So my problem was, the joystick couldn't be intercepted by FSUIPC.

Your problem is, you don't have a joystick at all, so nothing to intercept.

So i'm afraid that you have to consider buying a joystick or stay with the nemeth Bells

Shooting less bullets now, I was afraid of this I'm sure a nice big joystick will go nice and add an upper hand flying experience. But bad news is I'm into vintage props or old school heli's and they don't match too well with a 21st century joystick xD . I guess I could wait until Aerosoft release an optional patch for users without a joystick and allow the use of keyboard and mouse. Really like the features it has.

Francois
December 2nd, 2011, 04:14
Excuse me, but flying FSX, or any modern sim for that matter, without at least a joystick is downright silly. Even with vintage aircraft, or wait, even MORE so ! The old aircraft REALLY needed to be flown, which means rudder pedals (!) and a good stick ! Who cares what the things look like, you watch your screen, don't you? :icon_lol:

falcon409
December 2nd, 2011, 06:36
Not to "rag" on you too bad here flame-prop, but you opened yourself up to this by stating that you fly FSX with keyboard and mouse, lol. The fact that you fly mostly "Vintage and Heli's?" (how can you even control a Heli with keyboard and mouse) isn't really a reason to not have a joystick. Now if it just isn't in your budget right now, I can understand that for sure, but there are a lot of very basic joysticks that you can get for very little money and will give you a whole new dimension to your flying. In this day and age, and FSX especially, there's no way you should be without a joystick.:salute:

Flame-Prop
December 2nd, 2011, 20:18
Not to "rag" on you too bad here flame-prop, but you opened yourself up to this by stating that you fly FSX with keyboard and mouse, lol. The fact that you fly mostly "Vintage and Heli's?" (how can you even control a Heli with keyboard and mouse) isn't really a reason to not have a joystick. Now if it just isn't in your budget right now, I can understand that for sure, but there are a lot of very basic joysticks that you can get for very little money and will give you a whole new dimension to your flying. In this day and age, and FSX especially, there's no way you should be without a joystick.:salute:

With a little imagination, I though most people still used FSX this way. To give you an even bigger shock, I've been controling heli's for about 4 years with the keyboard and mouse. It was time to get the hardware for it one day or another :kilroy: Am planning to set up a full Sim experience by having the pedals, joystick, throttle levers, the display gauges. If Im lucky an authentic 747 chair like the ones you find in the cockpit of the plane :icon_lol: But this really opened up the doors here, :wavey:

Francois
December 2nd, 2011, 23:03
I fear you've been missing a lot of 'reality' = fun :-) Good luck on the progress then !

Flame-Prop
December 3rd, 2011, 21:53
I fear you've been missing a lot of 'reality' = fun :-) Good luck on the progress then !

cheers :ernae: I never put much though into it, was pretty happy with a keyboard and mouse surprisingly BUT now I'm thinking, this is actually kind of easy I need a challenge. Maybe a bigger desk as well, trust me when I get interested I don't mind making a big hole in my wallet to get real hardware. When I do look in a real cockpit It's pretty scary all thoes buttons and leavers, then thinking about startup procedures, then the feeling of flying for real xD it's all coming down bombarding me. Flight Sim X made flying a breeze also watching movies that contain flying plus looking up at the planes above my head would be much diffrent from the real thing..... not to mention chatting with the ATC, that's another story