PDA

View Full Version : Erco Ercoupe?

PRB
January 29th, 2011, 08:58
Has anyone made an Ercoupe for FSX? I picked up this book from a local Oak Harbor bookshop. Seems the author; B.W. Frank was, among other things, an air controller in the navy at Whidbey Island during the 1970s. It’s a small book telling the story of when he and a friend delivered an Ercoupe from Leesburg Florida, to St. Thomas in 1970. It’s a great story, told with a lot of nostalgia (he wrote the book in 1998) for his flying days. He worked for the FBO in Leesburg for many years, where he learned for fly from a WW-II P-51 pilot. He got to fly many different planes, as part of his job became ferrying planes around the southeastern US.

scottmm73
January 29th, 2011, 09:05
Only one I found at Flightsim. However it's not a FSX native. A 2002/2004 port over.

http://www.flightsim.com/zview.php?cm=list&fid=132094

Moses03
January 29th, 2011, 09:12
Aeroplane Heaven had one in the pipeline several months ago. Current status unknown.

Reddog
January 29th, 2011, 09:21
2 coupes available are for FS9, but will work in X. One by John Woodward and the other by Mr. Ito. Mr. Ito's is the better looking of the 2 but flys at 180 kts LOL. you can go back thru the FS9 threads cause there was a lot of chitchat and changes to Mr. Ito's that made it more like the real one. Also John049(Humphries) made a lot of repaints for it too.

PRB
January 29th, 2011, 09:25
Cool. Thanks all. Evidently the makers of the Ercoupe say the plane could not be made to stall. Interesting. I wonder how close to reality that claim was. Bet I could stall it... :)

Reddog
January 29th, 2011, 16:46
I was partners in a 415D for a while and no it would not stall. It would just start loosing altitude in a level attitude till it picked up speed again. and in a cross wind u held it in the crab all the way till the wheels touched down and it would just straighten itself out and roll down the runway.
If u get either one and come across a repaint of it in grey and blue N3191H thats my coupe. Leon Louis did the repaint for Johns coupe and John Humphries did it for Mr. Ito's.

fliger747
January 29th, 2011, 17:06
The reason the erecoupe did not stall (if in cg)..... Was that the elevator travel was limited to not allow enough control authority to reach a stall AOA. If I recall the earlier ones had interconnected rudder and aileron, which could be problematic in a decent cross wind.... T

Reddog
January 30th, 2011, 05:14
I was partners in a 415D for a while and no it would not stall. It would just start loosing altitude in a level attitude till it picked up speed again. and in a cross wind u held it in the crab all the way till the wheels touched down and it would just straighten itself out and roll down the runway.
If u get either one and come across a repaint of it in grey and blue N3191H thats my coupe. Leon Louis did the repaint for Johns coupe and John Humphries did it for Mr. Ito's.

Yes it was but only on takeoff, landings weren't a problem. on takeoff the upwind (I think)wing got flying and lifting befor the other one did.