PDA

View Full Version : For Strafing_run and others...

Rami
January 27th, 2011, 13:50
To all who use my campaigns,

I've noticed a trend from people who have reported friendly-fire incidents or have problems with missions not loading. This has forced me to confront a faulty assumption that those who fly my campaigns are using the expanded country.cfg provided from the Microsoft site.

Here is the page: http://www.microsoft.com/games/combatfs2/articles_SDK_countryfile.aspx

If you are not, the following will explain why this is important.

Now, let me explain why this is important, especially for flying US missions. Unless we're talking about the Navy, I allegiance all US campaigns to the USAAC, which is actually [country.7] in the expanded country.cfg file. You would also need this for similar purposes with the Tuskegee Airmen, Papua New Guinea, Defense of Australia, the Dutch side of DEI, the Finnish and Russian campaigns, and the French mini-campaign.

You'll also notice these sections in the expanded country.cfg file.

[alliance.0]
name=Allies
country.0=1
country.1=3
country.2=5
country.3=7
country.4=9
country.5=10
country.6=11
country.7=13
country.8=14
country.9=17
country.10=18

[alliance.1]
name=Axis
country.0=2
country.1=4
country.2=6
country.3=8
country.4=12
country.5=15
country.6=16
country.7=19

These basically tell you who the "good guys" and "bad guys" are. You can use these entries to determine who is friend or foe by referencing the corresponding entry in the country.cfg file.

Occasionally, you will run into situations where you might have to alter these lists for specific missions. As an example, there are a couple of missions in the "Poland, 1939" campaign where you have to take on the Russians and Germans fighting as partners. If they fought according to "standard" allegiances, the Russians and Germans would attack one another. This can be done in mission builder.

I have attached an example of my country.cfg in case you need to look at it.

Strafing_run,

With regard to Battle for Europe, using the expanded country.cfg, coupled with my instructions in the readme, will alleviate your problem you e-mailed me about earlier. I felt that this example would benefit others, so I figured that starting a thread would be more beneficial.

I hope this clears things up for everyone!

Strafing_run
January 27th, 2011, 20:06
Thanks for the reply Rami, I will get that sorted - had me scratching my head for a while there, I can tinker a bit with my installs, but am not in the "master class" hence the cry for help! BTW, I would just like to extend my gratitude to yourself and all those others who contribute so much to make CFS2 great - keep up the good work, it is appreciated! :ernae:

Robert John
January 28th, 2011, 08:40
I have spoken about batt file on this forum before, this is a good example where batt files come in handy.
A batt file will copy one file to another so you can have for example a few cfg files
cfg cfg1 cfg2 cfg3 if you need cfg1 the batt file will copy all the info from cfg1 to cfg. You will need a backup called cfgbck so when finished and want to restore a batt file will copy all info from cfsbck to cfg.
Robert John

Shadow Wolf 07
January 28th, 2011, 10:34
Fear not sports fans! I recommended to Rami that he include a copy of that expanded country.cfg with his uploads to prevent problems in the future.