PDA

View Full Version : The Boeing 787 Is A disaster

casey jones
January 27th, 2011, 08:35
I read Aviation and Space Technoly every week, The 787 I think from what I have read is a disaster from the begining...according to the story artical in AST Boeing contracted out to overseas manufactures to build certain parts of the 787...this is where they ran into trouble and helped to create this disaster.

Cheers

Casey

Willy
January 27th, 2011, 11:26
Am I the only to see the humor in this?

deathfromafar
January 27th, 2011, 12:53
It's no accident that 3 major airframe programs which featured advanced manufacturing techniques and systems have met with crippling delays on deliveries and have seemingly unending issues. The A380 has generally been an profit killing bomb for EADS due to all it's major issues dragging out for so long and some still ongoing. The 787 and A350 have suffered their share of issues as well. Personally, I have concluded that all the major aerospace companies set highly unrealistic timelines for getting advanced products out. When they rush to meet the schedules on my designs, the end results are a product filled with bugs, delivery delays, and serious cost overruns. While no product is absolutely 100% perfect, when you look at past programs, like the 737 series, 747, A320/A330/A340, and others, those programs went through a lot testing to prove the designs before they were marketed and all have been highly successful. Nowadays, the companies seem to sell a product before it's even airborne or has had time to have the wrinkles ironed out. I am very convinced that any of these problem programs can be made into excellent end products and expanded in capability if the programs have reasonably managed development & testing timelines.

crashaz
January 27th, 2011, 13:45
I am reading.... overseas manufacturing issue....

not to say that only US work gets it done right... but the logistical and communication nightmares with spots around the world.

Why must the plane be built in different parts of the world? Oh yeah.... globalization. :kilroy:

normb
January 27th, 2011, 14:35
I'm not sure I would call the 787 a disaster yet but it is having development problems. As a comparison look how well the Gulfstream G650 development is going. Smaller bird but similar systems and materials. Mostly home grown and home engineered. Those folks do a great job.

b52bob
January 27th, 2011, 15:33
Airbus just announced it has delayed their 350.....It's difficult to bring new tech and manufacturing techniques on time. See F-35.

The 787 remains a game changer.

Gdavis101
January 27th, 2011, 16:49
Am I the only to see the humor in this?

Nope.

deathfromafar
January 27th, 2011, 16:58
+ the 737's replacement, the 797 which is an offshoot of the 787 is right around the corner.

fliger747
January 27th, 2011, 17:23
A friend used to run a Large resource extraction company. He always believed in MWA, management by wandering around. Boeing didn't do themselves any favors by moving the head shed to Chicago. Harder to misrepresent progress on the shop flor as opposed to by teleconference. I fly the big bits and pieces around on occasion for the 787. I think politics played a big part in the decision to spread the production around. The jury is still out as to whether this is the best way to build a plane. It is in some ways a bit like the way planes and engines were made during WWII.

Just hope the RR engines shake out their issues.

T

Bjoern
January 28th, 2011, 08:18
Boeing will get there eventually. Giving up now would be nothing short of a disaster.

brad kaste
January 28th, 2011, 09:51
The continual delays have become a real financial albatross around the neck of Boeing....(Three years behind schedule and won't be 'ready' until this July...maybe:kilroy:)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-28/fitch-downgrades-boeing-on-jet-delays.html

Bjoern
January 28th, 2011, 10:29
The continual delays have become a real financial albatross around the neck of Boeing....

That's no secret anymore and stated with the first order cancellations.

If we still had the safety standards of the early 60s, the 787 would already be in service at the cost of at least one disaster (loss of life optional).

So sit tight and enjoy a safe plane once it's done. Or do you want to be beta tester for aircraft outside of FSX?

stiz
January 28th, 2011, 11:26
Why must the plane be built in different parts of the world? Oh yeah.... globalization. :kilroy:

just wait till the east and pacific area gets uniouns! :icon_lol:

Three years behind schedule and won't be 'ready' until this July...maybe

give boeing its due, 3 years delay nowdays aint bad at all when compared to other projects!