PDA

View Full Version : Having an odd computer problem, HELP

rpjkw
January 27th, 2011, 08:02
Last night my pc locked up running FS9. I had to reboot, but a moment into it, the screen went black with a small blue box saying "no signal input", like when the pc is shutting down. The HD light was falshing normally, but there was no way to see what should have been on the screen. I turned to pc back on about 30 minutes later and all was well for about 30 minutes, then the screen went black again with the signal input notice.

I assume it's either my video card is going bad or my monitor. It could be other things, too. The the same thing happened this morning when I started up: Worked fine, then went kablooey again after 30 minutes.

This is crazy! ANY suggestions are welcomed.

Bob

vonernsk
January 27th, 2011, 08:23
Bob,

I had a similar problem late last year. Unlike your prob, mine was very definite - 'NO VIDEO INPUT!'

Without being condescending, your first immediate action (IA) drill is to check the PC to Display connections.

I suspected a video card prob and was about to upgrade from my old Nvidia GTX 8800 Ultra to a 470, so took the PC to a techie store.

They confrimed that the video card was not functioning but also informed me that one of my AGP slots was u/s.

End result was a new motherboard and a nice new Graphics card. Hope your prob is simpler.

Mal

hey_moe
January 27th, 2011, 08:52
Have you tried pulling the video card, cleaning it and reinstalling it. Sometimes it just needs to be reseated. Also remove old video card drivers and install the newer up to date one...Mike

txnetcop
January 27th, 2011, 08:58
Last night my pc locked up running FS9. I had to reboot, but a moment into it, the screen went black with a small blue box saying "no signal input", like when the pc is shutting down. The HD light was falshing normally, but there was no way to see what should have been on the screen. I turned to pc back on about 30 minutes later and all was well for about 30 minutes, then the screen went black again with the signal input notice.

I assume it's either my video card is going bad or my monitor. It could be other things, too. The the same thing happened this morning when I started up: Worked fine, then went kablooey again after 30 minutes.

This is crazy! ANY suggestions are welcomed.

Bob

Print this out it explains how to fix almost every incident of the BSOD
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/blue_screen_survival_guide
Ted

rpjkw
January 27th, 2011, 10:19
Mike, that was the first thing I did when it cratered last night. I shouldn't say this, but the ol' pc has been running flawlessly for three hours. (Just knocked on wood) (The dog just barked!!)

Ted, I'm going to that site now. Thanks.

Mal, I checked the connections this morning; I even removed and reinstalled. Funny, that was after the first tanking this morning, but BEFORE this three hour stretch of success.

I suppose this is a wake up call to upgrade MB, CPU, RAM, and video card, and monitor.

Bob