PDA

View Full Version : ia-66 single seat Pucara

Daveroo
January 27th, 2011, 06:17
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Argentina---Air/FMA-IA-58C-Pucar%C3%A1/1856040/L/

only a few made? one?......this is cool looking..to bad they didnt make more...much better looking than the 2 seater...but i assume it must have been a handfull to operate so they did the 2 seater...

Warrant
January 27th, 2011, 06:51
Nice find, Daveroo

peter12213
January 27th, 2011, 07:11
Yeah great find I've heard of this but never saw one until now!

Bjoern
January 27th, 2011, 07:27
The Pucāra has the fugliest turboprops I've ever seen. They look even worse than RR Darts. :P

Prowler1111
January 27th, 2011, 07:54
In fact..they only built that one, lack of funding, plus technical issues(post Falklands military equipment/technology veto) prevented this aircraft to ever get into production, it was decided that since the 2 seats plane was used with one pilot during the conflict, there was no need for such an investment with little operational gain.As a matter of fact, currently, Pucaras in FAA service are equipped exactly the same as they were when rolled out from the assembly line, with little to none navigational upgrades, and itīs currently, Argentinaīs front line attack aircraft, supplementing the A-4Ar (a F-16 Block 40 equivalent A-4M)in CAS roles.

Best regards

Prowler

Daveroo
January 27th, 2011, 09:13
In fact..they only built that one, lack of funding, plus technical issues(post Falklands military equipment/technology veto) prevented this aircraft to ever get into production, it was decided that since the 2 seats plane was used with one pilot during the conflict, there was no need for such an investment with little operational gain.As a matter of fact, currently, Pucaras in FAA service are equipped exactly the same as they were when rolled out from the assembly line, with little to none navigational upgrades, and itīs currently, Argentinaīs front line attack aircraft, supplementing the A-4Ar (a F-16 Block 40 equivalent A-4M)in CAS roles.

Best regards

Prowler

good info..thanks

Railrunner130
January 27th, 2011, 12:31
I've always thought the Pucara was a neat looking aircraft. The props don't look like they quite fit, but my $$ says it's pretty good for CAS and would be a half decent twin-engine trainer.