PDA

View Full Version : WIP's (While My Phone Line Was Down)

PutPut
January 24th, 2011, 13:24
I had a 25 day period where my phone line was inoperative thanks to some very heavy rains here in So. Cal. just before Christmas. I used the time to start a couple of new projects. The first is the Northrop BT-1 dive bomber which is almost complete. This plane was not very successful but was the precursor to the very successful Douglas SBD. It was designed by Ed Heineman, who chose to stay with Douglas after Jack Northrop left the company. Heineman worked on the A-20 Havoc, SBD, among others and was best known for "Heineman's Hot Rod" the Douglas A4D. I had excellent drawings for the BT-1, but could not find anything about the cockpit. I made it similar to my earlier Northrop A-17 which was of about the same time frame. I gave the panel a dark red emmisive light just because I liked it. I don't know if red instrument backlights were used during that time frame, but they were later around the start of WW2.
The lone picture is a first look at the Martin MB-2 circa 1923. This is the plane Billy Mitchell used to sink a battleship and thus, was the father of Naval Aviation. (Even though he was in the Army). This project has an 18 wheeler worth of struts and guy wires. I think I have them all in.
I have set aside the Convair R3Y Tradewind, mainly because I am tired of it and I am not totally happy with the beaching gear and have not decided what to do about engine gauges. I probably will gin up my own. That will take some time as it is a learning exercise for me.

Best, Paul

OleBoy
January 24th, 2011, 14:13
Holy cow Paul. You've been busy! They're looking very nice.

Maybe we could arrange the loss of your phone connection more often. It seems you were mighty productive in that time :ernae:

jdhaenens
January 24th, 2011, 14:30
That BT-1 isn't too far off from the venerable BT-13 Vultee "Vibrator".

MAAM has a BT-13 pit pictured on their site. Doesn't look like you'd be too far off.

Here's a static BT-13 I made for the Tuskeege Airmen Practice Fields:

I know...ugly colors...raggedy picture...

Jim

Sundog
January 24th, 2011, 15:08
Cool! I love those planes when we were transitioning from biplanes to monoplanes. They're cool and awkward at the same time. I'm definitely looking forward to both of those birds. ;)

Hurricane91
January 24th, 2011, 15:42
That Northrop scout bomber is really nice Paul.

crashaz
January 24th, 2011, 16:30
Love your work Paul. Your between the war aircraft factory is awesome!!

Thank you!!
:salute:

Pips
January 24th, 2011, 18:29
Outstanding aircraft Put Put. As always, a very interesting choice. Looking forward to their release. The Northrop especially. :)

Lionheart
January 24th, 2011, 20:37
You are a model making MACHINE!!!! Goodness...

Nice work Paul.