PDA

View Full Version : OT - Besides flight sim

jeansy
January 21st, 2011, 18:57
Its a bit off topic, besides FS, what else do you guys enjoy or get involved, there have been some interesting posts before, I know its being nosey but a fair few of you guys are quite interesting..

Zoren
January 21st, 2011, 19:40
I like to play around on my drum sets to get away from computers during the cold winter months and baseball when the spring/summer hit.

warchild
January 21st, 2011, 19:53
game wise,
Mabinogi
Mass Effect ( 1,2 & 3 when it comes out )
Fable ( 1,2 & 3)
assasins creed II

television
Anime ( of various types)
Sci Fi channel
History channel
Military channel

Mr.Mugel
January 21st, 2011, 22:20
Besides flightsim, I enjoy bicycling, I use it to get to work, about 14 miles every day, and if the weather isnīt too bad, I take another tour of 10-30 miles in the evenings. Gets me to about 5000 miles a year... Donīt have a car, bicycle is my main vehicle.

Sometimes when I want things a little faster, I tend to use my Kawasaki ZR-7, but thatīs mostly on sundays just for the joy of riding!

Another hobby of mine is R/C flying, using a 55" Ultimate with a Laser 100 four stroke engine and since recently an Align T-Rex 250 18" diameter electric heli, mainly for indoor flying and flying around the house on calm days.

NSS
January 21st, 2011, 23:13
Flying Rc aircraft.

Usually WW1 types. But anything that is airworthy at the time.

NSS
January 21st, 2011, 23:18
Some sports models.

HenryW
January 22nd, 2011, 00:27
When there is clear skies, i spend some time at my cabin watching Celestial objects with my 8 inch telescope:

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/Wyrneh/Norge/Astro.jpg

Paul K
January 22nd, 2011, 00:34
On the computer...waiting for Shogun 2: Total War due in March !

Reading ... just finished Bomber Command by Max Hastings, and now in the middle of Mark R Peattie's Sunburst: The Rise of Japanese Naval Air Power 1909 - 1941.

Fiddling around with my Fender Stratocaster, and pretending I'm rock aristocracy.

Thanking goodness I don't own a television.

gigabyte
January 22nd, 2011, 01:00
Interesting topic, I am into far too many games for the PC Mostly Flight / combat type games of one sort or another, I try most that I find in the stores. Right now I have (beside FS 9 & FSX) XPlane 9, IL2 1946, CFS 2 & 3, Hawx, DCS Blackshark, Lock On Modern Air Combat + Flaming Cliffs 2, X3 Reunion & Terran Conflict, and a couple more I rarely use. When you add in all the Mods it is quite a varied flight colledtion. I also have various other FPS and Sims, Mass Effect 2, Wolfinstein 3D, Silent Hunter 3 & 4 - my god it is really time I started that 12 step program - My name is Mike and I am addicted to computer games!

Aside from computers in general I have been known to do a bit of wood carving - mostly walking sticks, but I enjoy releif carving as well, and I occationally slip in a few hours here and there doing family history.

grunau_baby
January 22nd, 2011, 02:12
Letīs see:
- Reading, mainly Graphic Novels and (literature) Mangas
- Lancia (italian cars in general) and car-design
- architecture and art-history (I love big books with good photographs)
- Musik (BIG), mainly hunting for rare independant productions all over the world via internet.
- webdesign (mainly only one leftover customer from freelance-days, who enjoys a free service where I can freely play out my creativity)
- Languages (currently planing on learning Japanese being my first non-european language...will see if I will endure...)
- eating tasty meals;-))))

Regards
Alex

Quixoticish
January 22nd, 2011, 03:18
Reading (a mix of Anglo-Saxon and Middle English along with Science Fiction, Modernism, Post Modernism and Retro-Futurism).

Martial Arts (Iaido, Kenjutsu, Jujutsu, and Kobudo primarily).

Archery (Mediaeval long and short bows and historical re-curve).

Gaming (aside from FSX I enjoy a lot of massively multiplayer games, and I also enjoy the odd blast on the PS3).

Much more such a cinema, philosophy, history, languages (currently learning Swedish), Astronomy, Physics, but the above are my primary leisure activities at the moment.

Bruce Thompson
January 22nd, 2011, 03:25
Besides Flightsim,

Photography, Astronomy, Watch collecting and restoration, Holidays in the Austrian Mountains.29133

huub vink
January 22nd, 2011, 03:36
I love to ride my bicycles! Although it is definitely not cycling season here, I still try to make a 65km/40 miles trip 3 time a week.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/sP9300165B.jpg

Cheers,
Huub

fallenphoenix1986
January 22nd, 2011, 05:02
I've been skydiving out at Strathallan and St. Andrews since I was 16, though not as often as I'd like due to the fantastic scottish weather. Almost nine years and only 400 jumps... Also building a Hummel Bird with a couple of Uni mates, very slow progress on that one though. Might have something worh showing in a few months. That kinda sums it up aviation wise.
I've also got a bit of a thing for languages, Russian and Japanese just now though should probably make a start on German since I'm heading out there year after next for a year.
Sort of handy in the kitchen, Itallian and asian, mainly Chinese with some Thai and Japanese ocasionally.
Started playing guitar about 10 years back, got a nice little collection of Gibsons and Marshalls to tootle about with.
Dont really have as much time to myself as I'd like, back at Uni for round two after developing a visual defect that put an end to my flying career. :banghead:

Craig

c87
January 22nd, 2011, 11:00
WWII Jeeps. I've restored one with another one in the works. I'm in the MVPA which is a military vehicle collector's organization. I also like collecting aviation art, mainly for the signatures of the veterans. LOL, I have too many for the little amount of wall space that I have!

kilo delta
January 22nd, 2011, 11:30
Drinkin'

Cussin'

Fightin'

And that's generally DUE to Flight simming!!!;p

Navy Chief
January 22nd, 2011, 11:44
WWII Jeeps. I've restored one with another one in the works. I'm in the MVPA which is a military vehicle collector's organization. I also like collecting aviation art, mainly for the signatures of the veterans. LOL, I have too many for the little amount of wall space that I have!

Oh, now THAT made me miss my 1945 Willys MB. Had to sell it to pay a divorce lawyer back in 1999. I have 1967 M274 Mule now, but will always miss my MB. Before that, I had a 1952 M38, that I'd bought from Rick Ropkey. The MB was bought from a collector near Victoria, B.C. It was beautiful. I also had been a member of MVPA, but not any more. My MB had a reproduction 30 cal. machine gun on a pedestal, and it was propane/O2 fired. No bullets, but one heck of a noise it would make. Also had a restored M100 trailer I pulled behind it, complete with canvas top. Gorgeous.

NC

jankees
January 22nd, 2011, 12:05
Me, I ride my bike:

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/JKA2A1.jpg

I teach geology at university, here's part of my classroom (look full scale):

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/JKA2A2.jpg

I enjoy my daughters Catalina and Larissa,

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/JKA2A5.jpg

I collect and drink wine, I enjoy the outdoors, on foot and with wheels, since were talking about MB's (though this is something else altogether):

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/JKA2A4.jpg

Bjoern
January 22nd, 2011, 12:07
I'd say "developing stuff for flightsim", but that's more of an addictive chore than an enjoyable hobby.

Staring at a screen, other things I like is other flightsims like Strike Fighters or IL-2, slow paced or round based strategy like Sins Of A Solar Empire or Civilization and reading whatever the internet offers.

Out-of-the-house activities include cycling, jogging and socializing, the latter mostly coinciding with drinking.

jp
January 22nd, 2011, 14:44
I play soccer and lacrosse. I used to play baseball and basketball too, but time is scarce nowadays. I also ride dirt bikes, fish, kyak, water ski, and wakeboard. I enjoy riding jetskis and boating. And tubing. I am beginning working towards my pilot's liscense this summer. I also enjoy watching sports on the television, the history channel, and military channel. Oh, and I also enjoy shooting.

mfitch
January 22nd, 2011, 20:24
My list is far too long.

Reading: scifi/fantasy, classics, fairy tales/fables/legend
Music: in addition to recorded as many concerts (mostly orchestral) as I can manage
Cycling: recreational, short, touring style (30-60 miles around this beautiful state)
Flying: the most recent and expensive hobby
Games: some FPS, Wii
Cooking and baking: cooking is mostly necessity with a lot of Thai influence and occasional mideast cuisine, baking is that for which I am known (cheesecake and other pies)

Kiwikat
January 22nd, 2011, 20:38
In my free time I'm usually programming C# on my computers or messing around with this stuff:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5285/5311342066_0ab4d05b4b_z.jpg

I recently got some Sennheiser HD25-1 II headphones and a FiiO E7 amp for my iPod and laptop. I'm starting to become an audiophile...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3186/2772318875_233eb5a551_z.jpg http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4005/4575197260_1bb5d66d0f.jpg

I have way too many expensive hobbies!

deathfromafar
January 22nd, 2011, 21:32
When not running my Consultancy/Training Firm, first and foremost, I spend time with my adorable wife! She allows me great latitude to enjoy flightsim things which to her, keeps me close by in case of "honey-do's"(yard & house work for her). My previous hobbies involving Aviation were building plastic and wooden models since I was a boy(I still have over 600 unbuilt kits in my shop/storage loft. I also used to build and fly R/C models up until finally getting my private license over 20 years ago. After than, I dropped R/C totally and went on to get my Commercial Pilots License, CFI/CFII/MEI, and Aerobatic training. I never flew for a living because the job market was in flux at key times I needed to decide the best course for myself. But I have been very lucky to have been allowed chances to fly quite a few different aircraft over the years. Until last year, I was typed on my company's leased Super King Air 200 we use for business travel. An irregular heartbeat forced me to give up my medical and I think it's safe to conclude(unless something changes) my cockpit days are probably over except this chair and screen.

I used to enjoy hunting, fishing, camping but these days time for those events are scarce. I enjoy music daily and good conversation.

Francois
January 22nd, 2011, 23:33
Its a bit off topic, besides FS, what else do you guys enjoy or get involved, there have been some interesting posts before, I know its being nosey but a fair few of you guys are quite interesting..

As another 'hobby' I run a small motorcycle guide company here : www.EuropeRides.com , related to my love for WW2 history (visits to Normady) and the Alps (guiding US riders through the passes).

To try and make ends meet I run my own publishing company (yes, FSAddon.eu too) called Silver Cloud Publishing. Main focus is on local and international web design and hosting and photography. (www.SilverCloudPublishing.com)

And I play 'soldier' games like CoD, BoB, Flashpoint and the likes.

Did I mention I am the European partner in a management consultancy firm in the US? LOL !!

Francois
January 22nd, 2011, 23:35
I collect and drink wine, I enjoy the outdoors, on foot and with wheels, since were talking about MB's (though this is something else altogether):

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/JKA2A4.jpg

If that Jeep is yours, we need to talk !!!

DHC120
January 23rd, 2011, 00:25
When I'm not Flight Simming (which is less flying than I would like to do), I spent my life as a professional "Heavy Line Mechanic".. which translated into English simply means I had to be able to repair everything mechanical on a vehicle from front bumper to rear bumper, top to bottom.. No "Specialization" for us!
In the last fifteen+ years of my career, I "switched" to doing "Full Frame-Up Restorations".. That means I added general body work, classic "Metal Bumping", Panel Beating (taking a blank sheet of metal and "beating" it into a form/shape for a required rust-out repair), painting the vehicles, doing interior and upholstery work (NOT making the seat covers or the like).
Doing Restorations requires that one be highly qualified in at least six different disciplines that take decades to learn and master.
Since my retirement a couple of years ago I restore my cars, or cars I'm doing for sale.
My Pride and Joy is a 1953 Jaguar XK120 DHC (Drop Head Coupe), one of 1471 built. A rather rare car by any standard. I bought the Jag in May 1967 and am the second owner. I drove it daily, year round for eight year, even used it to tow my motorcycles to the races ( I raced for ten years, three years as an AMA Class C Professional.. A broken neck ended my pro career.
Basically, that's what keeps me out of the pool halls, beer joints and bawdy houses!

Brett_Henderson
January 23rd, 2011, 04:51
Besides simmimg ?

-real flying
-collecting firearms
-competetive shooting
-model railroading

And more important than all of them today.. PACKER FOOTBALL !

( Go Pack !! )

Peter SWE
January 23rd, 2011, 04:54
I ride bikes

jetstreamsky
January 23rd, 2011, 06:17
"..............
Since my retirement a couple of years ago I restore my cars, or cars I'm doing for sale.
My Pride and Joy is a 1953 Jaguar XK120 DHC (Drop Head Coupe), one of 1471 built. A rather rare car by any standard. I bought the Jag in May 1967 and am the second owner. I drove it daily, year round for eight year, even used it to tow my motorcycles to the races ( I raced for ten years, three years as an AMA Class C Professional.!

Please post some pics, love to see the XK120

jetstreamsky
January 23rd, 2011, 06:20
Snow shoeing in winter, cycling in summer. Photography and walking the dog are the main things away from summing.

roger-wilco-66
January 23rd, 2011, 15:13
Nice thread :-)

My other interests are reading (mostly historical autobiographies), photography, tinkering with all sorts of hardware, my motorcycle (Suzuki DR-650), flying real aircraft (avatar), and my 1966 M35a2 military truck... and my family of course :-)

Hey, I love that Jeep. My friend has a Hotchkiss Willys type, and we made many trips with it to Verdun and the Maginot line with it. I really have a knack for old hardware...

Cheers,
Mark
29292 29291 29293 29296

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/pencil.png

Willy
January 23rd, 2011, 15:27
When I'm not flightsimming or doing the Admin thing here I'm usually messing with or riding our horses. My other interests include old aircraft in general, Marlin lever action rifles and coin collecting. Very few TV shows or professional sports interest me.

My daughter and me with the horses summer of 09.

DHC120
January 23rd, 2011, 18:02
I ride bikes

I Did GP RoadRacing (in the USA) back in the '60's & '70's..
The fastest bike I built was one with a '70 Kawasaki F-9 Enduro (Big Horn) engine..
Max speed of a stock F-9.. about 64 mph.. After I finished "waving my magic wrenches" over the engine, I could peak (9000rpm) first at 55mph, second at 100mph (while doing a 45 degree wheelie) and topped-out down the straights of Dallas International Speedway (at the last race ever held there) at 165mph.. I was only Taching around 7500!!
Not too shabby for a 350cc "lunger"..

Hern07
January 23rd, 2011, 18:32
Playing Stronghold, building 1/72 armor models and reading history (Roman lately.) Also, I am the primary care giver for my sick wife.

wantok
January 23rd, 2011, 18:51
I spend alot of time tinkering with fps. (I know sick hobby). But seriously, nothing beats spending quality time with my 2 toddlers. Been traveling alot in my old job and hardly had time for their now older siblings. Now that am retired, I am having fun watching them grow up. That and drinking a beer or 2.:ernae:

WarHorse47
January 23rd, 2011, 19:30
Hmmm. Aside from a full time job, when I'm not working or doing chores around the house..

I collect and read a lot of books and collect DVDs on aviation hisory. Primary focus is military, but I really like restoration documentaries.
When the wife and I travel, I like to check out aviation museums. Visited the Heritage Flight Collection, Historic Flight Foundation and the Museum of Flight Restoration facility at Paine Field while the wife was shopping just yesterday.
I dabble at digital photography, specially those museums I find and air shows I attend.
As for air shows, that would include several trips to the Reno Air Races.
I also have an older Corvette that I've restored over the years.
29307 29309 29310

--WH

Prowler1111
January 23rd, 2011, 20:00
I surf..the real thing, not surfing the web..lol

Prowler

jeansy
January 24th, 2011, 02:41
wow theres a few there i wouldnt have picked

Mathias
January 24th, 2011, 04:08
Playing the guitar in a Blues Band and a 70th Rock cover band.
http://www.classics-hangar.de/privat/BangGang/Thrill_is_gone_chicago_blues_gangsters.mp3
http://www.classics-hangar.de/privat/BangGang/03.Cowboy_Song.mp3

Brian_Gladden
January 24th, 2011, 06:44
I write Sci-fi Fan fiction(Mostly Firefly/Serenity). Over the last three years or so, I've cranked out over half a million words.

SpaceWeevil
January 24th, 2011, 07:35
In the real world I play bass (and sing a bit) in a band. We're starting to do acoustic gigs, which means I have to remember what the other two strings are for - chords, or something? Gaming-wise I can't cope with all out war but I love sneaky 1st person shooters like Quake 2, Half Life, Half Life 2.

I write Sci-fi Fan fiction(Mostly Firefly/Serenity). Over the last three years or so, I've cranked out over half a million words.

Is that published anywhere? I really enjoyed the Firefly 'verse. Thinks - maybe you could finish off The Sarah Connor Chronicles? I was gutted when they cancelled it.

gera
January 24th, 2011, 07:39
I Fly for real, mostly around the jungle, maybe twice a month, Take out my 10" Telescope during the dry season months (5 at the most)), read History a lot, write short stories, drive my old electric trains as well as MSTS and now Steamworks with my 4 year old grandson, and "scratchbuild" 1:72 and 1:48 Scale Mahogany Aircraft which I have been making for over 50 years....my true love?, visiting Italy every two years!!! and having my eight grandchildren and their parents for dinner once a week.:applause:......I do a lot of cooking and have invented my own recepies, specially some with "hoT" sauces which I make myself from the many varieties of Peppers I have in my garden., I placed a home made "water dripping system" in it yesterday(only needed in the dry season--Dec to early April)..my sons and I do go a lot fishing for "Rainbow" bass in the Panama Canal.....

Slund
January 24th, 2011, 08:10
During the winter it's ice climbing and during the summer months I rock climb (when the job allows)

skyhawka4m
January 24th, 2011, 08:54
Modern Warfare series
GT5
Photography (aviation, nature,.....what ever catches the eye)
Collecting kodachrome slides of mainly F-4's and A-4's
Scale Modeling

modelr
January 24th, 2011, 09:11
Model cars and R/C Aircraft.

My current fleet and my new one in building progress

vora
January 24th, 2011, 09:18
- real flying (mostly DR400 and DA20)
- reading (history: early middle ages, fiction: cyberpunk)
- 3D animation (Cinema4D, Vue7 etc.)
- EVE Online

that's about it...

bstolle
January 24th, 2011, 09:20
I think I'm too much focused on flying.
If I'm not flying or designing FDEs in FSX then I'm flying IRL....no real other hobbies except....
collecting aviation art, from e.g. Robert Tayor, Keith Ferris etc...

Bernt

txnetcop
January 24th, 2011, 09:42
Well I guess I do a lot of things besides flight-simming although it is right up at the top of things I love to do.

I fly ultralights when I can-usually rent
I hunt and fish every chance I get
I build gamer computers-no secret there
I host at a local karaoke bar, sing online at SingSnap and sing for $$$$-Hey we partially un-employed gotta earn a living

<embed src="http://www.4shared.com/embed/448123042/17e73a82" width="420" height="250" allowfullscreen="false" allowscriptaccess="always" />

;

MHAircraft
January 24th, 2011, 09:51
Flightsimming is my at-home hobby, something I can pick up and drop off in the little free time I have between chores. But whenever I can get away for a few hours, this is what I love to do:

Cactuskid
January 24th, 2011, 10:01
29358Besides flightsimming, shooting and fishing, this keeps me occupied in my free time...

Sid2008
January 24th, 2011, 10:02
I farm. I love it and it keeps me busy.

W. Bleddyn
January 24th, 2011, 10:53
Off the PC I play hockey, do alot of reading... nothing else really comes to mind as hobbies.

On the PC, besides MS Flight Sim I play Rise of Flight (I am a moderator on the RoF boards under the name Bleddyn) and I do alot of online racing on rFactor.

Bjoern
January 24th, 2011, 11:45
Over the last three years or so, I've cranked out over half a million words.

Wanna finish my Bachelor Thesis? :icon_lol:

Brian_Gladden
January 24th, 2011, 15:53
Wanna finish my Bachelor Thesis? :icon_lol:

I'm good, thanks....

wconkle
January 24th, 2011, 17:07
Great thread!
Like many, I ride motorcycle, I'm pretty active in the local EAA chapter (190), spend time with the wife and kids, and now that I'm out of the Navy, I even have time to shoot my guns once in awhile. I also love my career in nuclear power, so I can often be found studying for my job as a nuclear operator for TVA.

Bushpounder
January 24th, 2011, 17:18
Model Railroading
Scale Modeling
Some X-Box games
and of course ...... simming

Don :wavey:

Thoe6969
January 25th, 2011, 09:09
Riding my (wing)and racing our dirt late model.

Bjoern
January 25th, 2011, 12:46
I'm good, thanks....

Aww. It's a bit like fan fiction since it revolves around a still unused method for generating electricity. :d

Scratch
January 25th, 2011, 16:13
My main hobby these days is genetic genealogy. I started paper trail genealogy back in '89 and started doing genetic testing as soon as it became available. I have learned a lot of history along the way. BTW I am related to ALL of you! MUAHHHAAAA:icon_twi:

I also enjoy shooting everything I can get my hands on. Got special love for my longbow though.