PDA

View Full Version : Old post card tone map

Cazzie
January 21st, 2011, 03:22
Playing again with false tone mapping. This is a shot of the second dam constructed in Danville, called the Mill Dam because it was constructed to power the Dan River Mills Power Station opposite the dam. All of the little white houses are mill houses, build in a community named Schoolfield

I took the photo yesterday morning around 7:30. I have been playing with it in varuious types of tone enhancements, but liked this post card look I did in Artizen HDR. BTW Ed, I finally purchased Artizen too.

Caz

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/cazmodel/smurfdam_tmap.jpg

Tracon
January 21st, 2011, 05:16
Gorgeous shot cazzie. I love the gold hue. I definitely get the post card vibe.

EasyEd
January 21st, 2011, 19:47
Hey All,

This really nice Caz. The framing and composition is in my opinion the best I've seen you post. The brush framing on 2 sides and the line of the dam carries you right to the red buildings, town and water tower. It's busy enough to be really interesting without being over-distracting and I really like the light and the tone of the processing. There is a little bit of haloing in the upper right over and on the left side of the trees but I don't think most would even notice and it certainly does not in any way detract from the image.

As for Artizen - if you already have photomatix and photoshop I'm sure you've probably got this program beat. If your like me this is all I've got and it is plenty enough. Right now I'm limited by what I can figure out how to do - not any missing features. As you know the documentation with the program is minimal to say the most! At $50 versus $700 for photoshop or $300 for lightroom or even $99 for elements this is in my opinion by far the best value for dollar. It lacks no features that I know of - except documentation of all it can do and how to do it. The complete rewrite of the HDR algorithms really makes that part of the program user friendly. I did just yesterday figure out how to make a modified second layer and combine it with the image (first layer) in a controlled way. I'm still a total beginner at this digital processing stuff. If I can find a good sensibly priced course I'll probably be signing up.

-Ed-

Cazzie
January 22nd, 2011, 02:46
Ed, I am saving my pensioner's money for Lightroom, I shall get it by Spring.

Caz