PDA

View Full Version : 64 Bit -- What do I need to watch for?

TeaSea
January 20th, 2011, 15:17
Replacing my 32 bit machine with a 64 bit dual core i7. Of course this means a total new FSX install.

What do I need to look out for? Anything special or can I just go straight in?

MenendezDiego
January 20th, 2011, 15:45
Same here

My father is bringing over my new PC tomorrow as my old one crashed: Windows 7 64bit, 4 core processor, 8 gigs of ram, and a gtx460

Hopefully all works out

Regards, Diego

JoeW
January 20th, 2011, 16:41
What do I need to look out for? Anything special or can I just go straight in?

Are you going to do a back-up?
MS has a good program for backing up XP for a Win 7 up-date. Search for XP Back-up on MS.
Lemme know if you want any help.

Alan_A
January 20th, 2011, 16:48
You won't have any problems. I've been on 64-bit Windows (Vista, then W7) for three years and it's been a smooth experience.

You'll probably need to update some drivers. I had problems with my joystick, for example, until I realized that my Logitech drivers weren't up to date. Soem of your current drivers will work but others will have to be 64-bit specific. It's trial and error.

You'll also need to be careful about where programs install - most 32-bit programs will want to be in Programs (X86), rather than the main Programs folder. Installers are pretty good about identifying the best path but there can be glitches.

I highly recommend Nick Needham's FSX tuning instructions HERE (http://www.simforums.com/forums/setting-up-fsx-and-how-to-tune-it_topic29041.html) and his 64-bit instructions HERE (http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic34141_post198187.html#198187).

On the whole, I don't think I've had any more difficulty with the 64-bit OS's than I've had with any others.

Hope this helps.

vora
January 20th, 2011, 23:49
The main thing to remember is to only use 64bit hardware drivers!
If you cannot find a W7 64bit driver for a hardware go for a Vista 64bit driver, in most cases that will work, but never use a W7 32bit driver.

pilottj
January 21st, 2011, 00:03
I had a much harder time finding drivers for XP 64bit than I do with W7 64. If you have a lot of older 32bit devices I highly recommend upgrading to the Pro version if you don't have it already. It allows you to use 'xp mode' virtual machine which enables you to run programs, use devices not compatible with W7. I have an old Lexmark X83 that won't work in 7 but works fine in the XP mode.

FSX definately runs better on 7 64bit better than it did with XP 32. Also you have a big upgrade in maximum RAM allowance.

Good Luck
Cheers
TJ

papab
January 21st, 2011, 02:27
I just jumped to W-7 X64 in November-best move I ever made!

W-7 is real smoth and easy to use. To things to do:
1. Turn off User Account Control (UAC)-You can find how to in the Control panel
2. Remember when installling any program,always right click and select--"Run as Administrator"

I used Nick's FSX install guide , really helps :

http://www.simforums.com/forums/setting-up-fsx-and-how-to-tune-it_topic29041.html

Rick
Tampa,Fl

GypsyBaron
January 21st, 2011, 10:10
I agree with Rick's recommendations as well. I installed Win7 x64 in a dual-boot config
with my existing Win Xp Pro and installed FSX in the dedicated Win7 partitions.

One thing I did was NOT to use the "default" install path for FSX or the SDK.
Instead, I installed them on a separate partition from the Win7 OS partition, in
the root directory of that partition, and used a shorter name.

This allows me to "see" both of my FSX installs from either Xp or Win7, even though
I have the OS partitions of each hidden from the other. I can move files around
between the two FSX installs, say, when adding a new aircraft. I just copy it from
one directory to the other.

I share ALL my addon scenery between the two installs, using the built-in ability
to mount a drive in an empty folder on another partition. Both my "Addon Scenery" folders
are empty. My J: drive contains all the addon scenery and is mounted in those empty
folders.

Paul

hey_moe
January 21st, 2011, 11:05
W7/64 is faster by a long shot. Also if you have more than 3 gig of ram, W7/64 will use all of it plus some. W7/32 will only see 3 gig/ a known problem.There also is more tweaks for W7/64 and you shouldn't have a bit of problem finding drivers.

glennc
January 21st, 2011, 11:10
I did the same thing this week but I ran into an issue. I tried to push FSX Gold into c:\program files\. The installer got confused and put the install log and font folder in Program Files, the rest in Program Files (X86). After putting the Font folder in (X86), it ran OK, but the first two airplanes I installed ended up with files in both locations. In one case, the panel went to the proper Program Files sub folder, the rest in the proper X86 folder. It was a very interesting result. So, I did a Repair to both FSX and Acceleration. This time, I let the installer do its default. Everything seems to be OK now.

Glenn

wiltzei
January 21st, 2011, 11:11
This in really important, otherwise youŽll get annoying menu crashes all the time.

Win 7 64 bit + FSX = "Fatal error" & CTD / restart (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/vistagaming/thread/14FC20FA-9DCA-465B-BE42-146414087EC5)

hey_moe
January 21st, 2011, 13:16
I have never had that problem and I have threw everything at it.
This in really important, otherwise youŽll get annoying menu crashes all the time.

Win 7 64 bit + FSX = "Fatal error" & CTD / restart (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/vistagaming/thread/14FC20FA-9DCA-465B-BE42-146414087EC5)

W. Bleddyn
January 21st, 2011, 13:53
I did the same thing this week but I ran into an issue. I tried to push FSX Gold into c:\program files\. The installer got confused and put the install log and font folder in Program Files, the rest in Program Files (X86). After putting the Font folder in (X86), it ran OK, but the first two airplanes I installed ended up with files in both locations. In one case, the panel went to the proper Program Files sub folder, the rest in the proper X86 folder. It was a very interesting result. So, I did a Repair to both FSX and Acceleration. This time, I let the installer do its default. Everything seems to be OK now.

Glenn

With Win7 or even Vista, DO NOT install games, especially ones you intend to mod, to Program Files or Program Files (x86). Unless you have UAC disabled you will have alot of trouble with modifying files in those locations. Make a C:\Games (or whatever) folder and install games there. It will save you much headache.

papab
January 21st, 2011, 15:00

Never had a single problem with W-7 X64-works great!
Just let the installer install in "ProgramsX86" and everything wil be fine

Rick

BTW- Only X64 bit will see increased RAM-I am up to 8 gig!

TeaSea
January 21st, 2011, 15:04
Thanks everyone!

I have UAC turned off on my current system....couldn't stand it.

I do have a backup Joe....I use an external HDD, and frankly, I'm not doing anything to the machine I'm about to hand down to my daughter so I'll still have an "emergency" fix if I need it :).

I hadn't thought about the hardware drivers, so that's a good point.

glennc
January 21st, 2011, 16:28
like others have noted, I have UAC completely off - been off ever since I first ran into it.

Glenn

guzler
January 22nd, 2011, 00:21
Win 7 64 + FSX, no problems here, have FSX and other flight sim stuff on a seperate drive, runs a treat, best Windows ever IMO. Very stable.