PDA

View Full Version : Married?? How do YOU do it??

WarHorse47
January 17th, 2011, 11:25
Catch title, heh?? :jump:

My question pertains to e-mail accounts. I'm planning on getting a laptop for a second computer, and have setup an e-mail account for the wife so she can use the laptop exclusively for her e-mail messages with her friends and family.

Anybody got any suggestions or recommendations on how to manage dual accounts. The wife is not too computer savy, so that means I'll be administering both the home and laptop computers as well as using the laptop when we travel. I was just curious to know how others have their accounts setup with their spouses (or significant other). :salute:

Thanks

--WH

Willy
January 17th, 2011, 11:27
We each set up our own email accounts. It helps that we have our own computers as well.

WarHorse47
January 17th, 2011, 11:41
We each set up our own email accounts. It helps that we have our own computers as well.
So, each of you take care of managing backups, deleting e-mails, etc.? Your wife adminsters her entire account?

--WH

OleBoy
January 17th, 2011, 12:07
So, each of you take care of managing backups, deleting e-mails, etc.? Your wife adminsters her entire account?

--WH

That's the way my wife and I have always done. Besides, I tried being responsible for hers in the past. It never worked.

Crusader
January 17th, 2011, 12:22
That's the way my wife and I have always done. Besides, I tried being responsible for hers in the past. It never worked.

Same here . Now , if I could just get her to run virus scans manually once in awhile(I have it scheduled too) and CCleaner everytime she gets off her laptop after surfing , I would be a lot happier . She manages her own email account but has a habit of not keeping it cleaned out enough .

Done wife bashing now .

Rich

Navy Chief
January 17th, 2011, 12:30
Ahhh, the advantages of being single again! Sorry, could not resist!

NC

Willy
January 17th, 2011, 12:46

--WH

Yep, we don't mess with each other's comp except on rare occasions. Most women are pretty capable if given a chance.

Bjoern
January 17th, 2011, 13:33
Ahhh, the advantages of being single again! Sorry, could not resist!

Chiming in here. :d

Hey, wanna go grab a beer while the other guys are figuring out relationship stuff? :d

Cazzie
January 17th, 2011, 13:40
I tried the same with our Comcast email. Trouble is, I could never get the basticks at Comcast to keep the mail from the two accts. separate and only the main email acct. could be used for other things like Facebook. So I opened a separate Google maill acct. for me, so that I could segregate my mail from hers and get a FB page of my own. Perhaps your ISP is a little easier to deal with on such matters.

Caz

safn1949
January 17th, 2011, 13:47

Hey, wanna go grab a beer while the other guys are figuring out relationship stuff? :d
You buying? If so I'm in,I was married for a grand total of 3 years.....no thank you.:jump:

flaminghotsauce
January 17th, 2011, 19:29
I tried the same with our Comcast email. Trouble is, I could never get the basticks at Comcast to keep the mail from the two accts. separate and only the main email acct. could be used for other things like Facebook. So I opened a separate Google maill acct. for me, so that I could segregate my mail from hers and get a FB page of my own. Perhaps your ISP is a little easier to deal with on such matters.

Caz

Ditto. I used to have five email addresses myself. I'm down to two personal addresses, my wife has one, my oldest son has his own, and we have our family ISP email address. There is NO POINT in having email come into one's computer ever again, unless you really want to download it for no good reason. Keep it on someone else's server. Unless you're into virus cleaning, and running excess software to protect yourself from opening emails with attachments from people you don't know.

Another idea is have the email/facebook/surfing computer run Linux. No viruses, you can even open those emails promising to share your long lost relative's multi-million dollar estate which strangely ended up in Nigeria. No harm no foul.

To the OP: Thanks for not asking how married couples do it.... :jump:

tobob
January 18th, 2011, 07:23
Well first we kick the kids out...

Shoot I guess I should have read more. Sorry!

fsafranek
January 18th, 2011, 07:45

:ernae:

dswo
January 18th, 2011, 11:12
1. Separate accounts --> she can organize (or not organize) things as she sees fit.

2. Gmail is excellent. It's free, has good spam filtering, and enough space that you don't have to delete anything -- just archive. Later, if you want to download everything to a hard drive, you can.

HouseHobbit
January 18th, 2011, 11:45

I'll join Ya, But I usually drink Mead..:applause:

Learned along time ago, it's better to be single then with the wrong woman..:icon_lol:

Love is Grand, and is Wonderful.. :cool:

But single is GREAT..:applause:

Off to do as please , don't have to ask permission or explain where I have been all night..:applause:

Bjoern
January 18th, 2011, 12:45

You buying?

First round on me, second on you, third on NC, fourth on Frank, sixth on that little fella over there, and so on...

I'll join Ya, But I usually drink Mead..:applause:

Suit yourself, Gimli Hobbit. :d

Off to do as please , don't have to ask permission or explain where I have been all night..:applause:

The girlfriend of my (former?) best friend starts beeching whenever he wants to go out without her.
This always makes me wonder why he's still together with her and the only reasonable attempt at an explanation I have is that she must be really good in the sack. *Scratches head*

Crusader
January 18th, 2011, 13:36
Bjoern : Quote :" First round on me, second on you, third on NC, fourth on Frank, sixth on that little fella over there, and so on... "

I think all of us "Old married dudes " should be on the receiving end of all of this beer . Ah yes , I do faintly remember my single days . You have to feel sorry for us , just a little , don't you ? One thing for sure my wife had never got me to do over the many years is to quit drinking alcohol . A few beers a day and an occassional shot of Yukon or Jack Daniels keeps the doctor away I've always been told . (At least that is what I've been telling her over the years---:jump:)

Rich:ernae:

PS: All you young guys remember , a lot of us old dudes were your age once before we took the plunge and got ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-rried .:a1089:

Navy Chief
January 18th, 2011, 13:53
Bjoern

Definitely take you up on the beer offer someday, and you are in the BEST place for it!

Crusader, I've only been single again for a year this past Sept., but I am a much happier man as a result!!! Sorry, just had to add that!

NC

WarHorse47
January 18th, 2011, 15:39
:applause::applause::applause: LOL. Funny how a question to married couples tends to draw in the singles.

Just to balance things out - I've been married (to my first wife) for over 37 happy years. She takes care of the laundry and meals, and I take care of the cars and computers. We both share chores on maintaining the house. She does the shopping and I pay the bills.

And now we're looking to adopt our first wireless laptop, and I'm trying to figure out a plan for managing accounts that will keep her out of trouble and not be a headache to me.

Thanks for all the responses. Keep them coming. And I'd love to have a beer with ya' (ps: no need to tell the missus, either). :ernae:

--WH

wombat666
January 19th, 2011, 01:34
We sorted it out rather easily.
Sofie has her ISP account and I have mine, helps that she is no problem lady when it comes to computing.

And a PS: I managed to avoid serious commitment for many decades, I only surrendered about 19 years ago.

Bjoern
January 20th, 2011, 07:52
You have to feel sorry for us , just a little , don't you ?

Why? It's not that anyone forced you to marry...(Well, except for the tax man.) ;)

Definitely take you up on the beer offer someday, and you are in the BEST place for it!

Beware 'though: No requests for bavarian beer. I'm allergic to bavarian stuff. ;)