PDA

View Full Version : Beechcraft AT-11 Released!

SADT
January 16th, 2011, 13:03
Milton Shupe has just released the AT-11 for FS9! I am not sure if it will port to FSX yet, but Milton's other work ports very well so I assume this will too. Thank you Milton :salute:

Beech AT-11 KANSAN Released
Well, after 18 months of interrupted progress, we have finally uploaded this project.

The AT-11 was inspired for me by Scott Thomas, Willy, and the Hobbs Army Airforce B-17 Bomber training base here in my home town. I was also fortunate to hook up with Taigh Ramey of www.twinbeech.com who was an enormous help in providing details, pictures, and feedback.

The package has four models, 5 skins, and awesome sounds. There are also five extra skins by Damian Radice waiting to be uploaded. The paint kit will be along as soon as Damian returns home.

I am working on the website now where the extra skins and paint kit will also be available. I will upload the skins and paint kit here at SOH for primary downloads.

Thanks to Scott Thomas our panel and gauge man for hanging in here until this project could be released. Scott has moved on to other interests.

Damian has been a constant inspiration throughout this project. I am not certain I would have gotten it done without his help. His textures just kept bringing life back to the effort.

Gary Jones' sounds for this aircraft just put the wow factor in it for me too. They are rich, have depth, they are prop'y, and believeable. Thank you so much Gary.

Thanks to Tom Falley for helping put the finishing touches on the flight model.

Tako_Kichi has an FSX scenery, a year long effort, for the HAAF base so if you fly that side, you might want to check it out. Over 400 objects, a very expansive and comprehensive scenery including multiple airfields, AI, and static aircraft and equipment.

I wish to thank all of the SOH members who expressed interest to keep the fires burning. I really appreciate your help and interest.

In the end, this is just a freeware aircraft, not a lot of bells and whistles (you know my stuff), but she looks decent, flies great, and should treat you well. If you have trouble with frame rates on this, I will try to package up a lighter version for you.

Let me know of any issues here and I will attempt to correct them if practical. I am on my own for support right now so bear with me.

I hope you enjoy the many hours invested in this.

Thanks

Roger
January 16th, 2011, 13:49
Had the beta and it ported very well with a little alpha work.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/kansan-1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/kansan-3.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/kansan-2.jpg

DaveKDEN
January 16th, 2011, 15:36
Download link?

Navy Chief
January 16th, 2011, 15:49
Well, as they would say here in the South, "I don't know nuthin' 'bout no Alpha work".....

Does that mean some minor texture file changes?

Thanks....

NC

Milton Shupe
January 16th, 2011, 16:03
There is an extra folder in the release with FSX textures for props, windows, and a couple of thumbnails. Hopefully that will take care of things for you; works for me. But in the end, this is a FS9 aircraft package. I do fly it in FSX Accel.

The announcement and links are in the FS9 forum.

Tako_Kichi
January 16th, 2011, 16:24
If you want to use this in FSX (I helped to beta it and it works great) I created some additional FSX 'camera views' for it so that you can switch between the VC, bomb aimer's position or turret by cycling the 'A' key. Simply copy and paste the code below into the aircraft.cfg file. It can go anywhere but I would suggest after the [General] section and before the [pitot_static] section.

[CameraDefinition.001]
Title = "Nose Turret"
Guid = {883E749C-7331-4d1f-A4FA-B7814B1C51EF}
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
MomentumEffect = Yes
SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = None
ShowAxis = YES
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = 0.60
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ZoomPanScalar = 2.0
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = TRUE
ShowLensFlare=FALSE
Category = Cockpit
PitchPanRate=60
HeadingPanRate=60
InitialXyz= 0.25, -0.40, 1.55
InitialPbh= 20, 0, 000

[CameraDefinition.002]
Title = "Gun Turret"
Guid = {23C70AB3-C092-4cd4-8305-6255B233864F}
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
MomentumEffect = Yes
SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = None
ShowAxis = YES
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = 0.60
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ZoomPanScalar = 2.0
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = TRUE
ShowLensFlare=FALSE
Category = Cockpit
PitchPanRate=60
HeadingPanRate=60
InitialXyz= 0.40, 0.65, -2.00
InitialPbh= -15, 0, 180

Enjoy!

Warrant
January 16th, 2011, 16:42
There is an extra folder in the release with FSX textures for props, windows, and a couple of thumbnails. Hopefully that will take care of things for you; works for me. But in the end, this is a FS9 aircraft package. I do fly it in FSX Accel.

The announcement and links are in the FS9 forum.

A big thanks from here! :salute:

Anneke
January 16th, 2011, 21:59
Great Milton and all, thanks very much for still making awesome stuff :salute:

Z-AZ1USN
January 17th, 2011, 09:46
The AT-11 works great in FSX once you close the notice
that "SP.Hours1.gau is old FS98 file and not supported".
I tried to locate that gauge so that I could // it out and
not have FSX complain during its launch.

I managed to find the FPDA_Gear_wind.gau and // it out and no
complaints from FSX.

So..., where is this file or how do I make the FSX notice go away?

Milton Shupe
January 17th, 2011, 10:54
Look in the panel folder for the Hobbs1.gau, the Hobbs2.gau, and the fpds_gear_wind.gau and remove them. Then comment them out of the panel.cfg. That will take care of the issues.

Z-AZ1USN
January 17th, 2011, 11:02
Look in the panel folder for the Hobbs1.gau, the Hobbs2.gau, and the fpds_gear_wind.gau and remove them. Then comment them out of the panel.cfg. That will take care of the issues.

Thank you sir...

:salute:

mal998
January 17th, 2011, 11:39
Fabulous Plane!!

Thank you Milton and Crew!

She looks great in FSX... perfect for exploring the PNW and Rocky Mountains.

Thanks again!

big-mike
January 17th, 2011, 11:56
Thank you very much,Milton!:salute:
A very nice aircraft,flies excellent in FSX.
Michael

wantok
January 17th, 2011, 11:59
Excellent! Downloading now. Much appreciate your genius and matching generosity, Milton and team:salute:

Check your inbox, Sir.

Z-AZ1USN
January 17th, 2011, 14:33
I put it under Simobjects/Airplanes and for some reason the AT-11 title is
not showing in the previews. I originally installed it manually and made thumbnails
for all the extra paints as well.

Edit: Never mind I figured it out. Thanks anyway.....

OleBoy
January 17th, 2011, 14:48
That's because it's under Beech AT-11 or unknown

peter12213
January 17th, 2011, 14:54
Definately need to give this a try!

Milton Shupe
January 17th, 2011, 15:03
That's because it's under Beech AT-11 or unknown

Actually it shows under Beechcraft AT-11

txnetcop
January 18th, 2011, 02:00
A HUGE THANK YOU to you, Milton and your TEAM. Larry, your airbase is AWESOME! She's a dream to fly...I'm just gob-smacked! WOW!
Ted

italoc
January 18th, 2011, 06:13
Great Milton,
the quality of your work is at the top, as always !!!!:applause:
(pity not DX10 compatible ...)
Italo

Milton Shupe
January 18th, 2011, 20:54
Great Milton,
the quality of your work is at the top, as always !!!!:applause:
(pity not DX10 compatible ...)
Italo

Thanks Italo :wavey:

No, not DX10 compatible, but it is running in CFS2, FS9 and FSX Acceleration and soon in FS2002. :jump:

BananaBob
January 19th, 2011, 19:42
Great modeling, great looking aircraft! :salute:

Milton Shupe
January 23rd, 2011, 18:41
Great modeling, great looking aircraft! :salute:

Thanks BB; it could likely use your talents for FSX but we do what we can. Happy to see you around again. :jump:

skyhawka4m
January 25th, 2011, 22:17
my props are black in FSX and it takes forever to load up.

Milton Shupe
January 26th, 2011, 00:57

OMG! I can see your bottom lip puckered out when you say that! :)

Let's see if I understand this. :wiggle: You are a painter and understand these aircraft textures, and alpha channels, and the differences among the FS9, FSX SP2 DX9, Acceleration and DX10 variants.

This aircraft was designed in FS9 for FS9. :jump:

You load it up in FSX and make this statement? LOL :kilroy:

Are you asking a question here? What? :173go1:

One of the disadvantages to running a txnetcop-built PC is that I can't see how it will perform on others. :/

You might try the "Lite" version in the library; prop will still be black I guess but the load times will be better. :)

scottmm73
January 26th, 2011, 03:16
Did you swap out the textures like the readme says??

wichner
January 26th, 2011, 04:05
Sorry to be dense but I downloaded from avsim and got 78 MB zip file. Then unzipped and looking in the AT-11 folder for a folder with alternate prop and windows for FSX. Old-yes. Blind-almost.
Dumb-according to wife. So any help would be appreciated.
Or is this special fsx file link available only here at SOH on the fs9 forum page?
Thanks

Milton Shupe
January 26th, 2011, 04:14
There is no special link for an FSX version; there is no FSX version, just FS9.

Here is the folder; who knows, I may not have included it in the version you downloaded as I do not know which version you downloaded. :)

wichner
January 26th, 2011, 04:23
When a plane designer takes the time to help a real novice then you know he is special.
designs great looking planes for others and helps them with basic questions.
Thank You very much for a fantastic plane and your help to install it.
(rick in pa where it is snowing like crazy)

wichner
January 26th, 2011, 06:51
in this forum thread there is a reference to a gauge notice from fsx and a response to remove 3 gauges : Hobbs1.gau, Hobbs2.gau, and fpds_gear_wind.gau.
I can't find any of these gauges in the panel folder. I did find a reference to the last in the panel config file: under [windows00] gauge00=fpds_gear_wind, 122,0,10,10
Obviously, i am doing something wrong.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

fleurdelys
January 26th, 2011, 07:07
Ooupsss....

Just uploaded two repaints for Milton's marvel and I thought I had missed the "texture.Finland '42" which wasn't the case and I re-uploaded a second one...

To make matters worse, I missed my cue on the type of file for the first "texture.FINLAND '41" and so you are stuck with two of the second and none of the first... :kilroy:

I knew I should have stayed in bed this morning...:isadizzy:

I will re-upload the first now.

Cheers,

Fleurdelys

Milton Shupe
January 26th, 2011, 10:11
in this forum thread there is a reference to a gauge notice from fsx and a response to remove 3 gauges : Hobbs1.gau, Hobbs2.gau, and fpds_gear_wind.gau.
I can't find any of these gauges in the panel folder. I did find a reference to the last in the panel config file: under [windows00] gauge00=fpds_gear_wind, 122,0,10,10
Obviously, i am doing something wrong.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

I think I removed the gauges from v1.1 so you wouldn't have to. Commenting out that entry is all you have to do.

wichner
January 26th, 2011, 12:43
Okay. Got it. This is now my favorite airplane. So many others have praised your work but it amazes me how many talented people are willing to share their hard work, skill and knowledge on this SOH forum. Many thanks for the AT-11.

Sieggie
January 26th, 2011, 14:03
If you add

gaugeXX=ST_AT11!SW_Start, 89,62,55,21
gaugeXX=ST_AT11!Ignition, 22,130,120,117

(make sure you change the XX's to the next number in sequence)

to the end of the list of gauges in Vcockpit1 in the panel.cfg, you will get the starter and mags on the overhead.

Also change the starter torque from .158 to .5 if the engines won't kick over, in the aircraft.cfg

[Piston_Engine]
normalized_starter_torque = .5

and a "Right Seat" to go along with the Turret and nose some other fine gentleman posted earlier.

[CameraDefinition.00X]
Title = "Right Seat"
Guid = {1CBFF015-C4D6-41cb-826D-E312086ACE37}
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
MomentumEffect = Yes
SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = None
ShowAxis = YES
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = 0.60
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ZoomPanScalar = 2.0
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = TRUE
ShowLensFlare=FALSE
Category = Cockpit
PitchPanRate=60
HeadingPanRate=60
InitialXyz= 0.75, 0.0, 0.0
InitialPbh= 0, 0, 000

the number X should be in the sequence you want them in the pull down. Make it 1 if you want it after Pilot. Make sure you update any other Camera view numbers so as not to duplicate a number.

As usually stated, make a backup of the panel.cfg and aircraft.cfg before messing with them.
This worked for me, your mileage may vary.

fleurdelys
January 27th, 2011, 06:00
I've just uploaded two new skins in my series of "What ifs..."

These are for a Rumanian plane with early roundels and the other fitted with King Michael's cross.

If there is enough interest in these skins, I could pursue with a Soviet "What if..." based on the theory that some could have been sent also on the "lend lease program" to Russia... :kilroy:

In the meantime, go fly and enjoy.

Fleurdelys

huub vink
January 31st, 2011, 08:07
Great model Milton and team!

Thanks,
Huub

fleurdelys
February 3rd, 2011, 20:02
I've just uploaded my two additional "What ifs..." for the Russian lend lease program.
They should be available shortly.

Enjoy,

Fleurdelys

fleurdelys
February 5th, 2011, 11:06
I will need a bit of help for my next and last "What ifs..."

I'm planning for a flight of 3 French versions which I had mentioned in my delirium as having been sent to France along with their order of Curtiss H-75s...
. FRANCE '39 will be a civil version used as a liaison aircraft (appareil de servitude) for a squadron. Since it is 1939, this plane has not been painted yet with camo colours.
. FRANCE '40 could be an aircraft used for navigation training and would be fitted with the bubble top.
. FRANCE '41 would be flying under the Vichy Government colours and fitted with a turret, what else.

I have found some profiles of twin engined planes which might send me along as far as the colours are concerned. What I'm asking of our French simmer friends or any other member, if he or she has this type of knowledge, is some info as to the type of markings that could be seen on the first in particular (FRANCE '39) and would it be appropriate to add a number (or what is only used for fighting aircrafts) and/or a squadron emblem (if I can find one) such as the Sioux head or the egyptian eagle, the cigogne, etc. ?

I know that this is a "what if..." but then, might as well make it as likely as possible as it increases the enjoyment of flying this plane.

Looking forward to your suggestions,

Cheers,
Fleurdelys

Here are three pics of the "work in progress".

big-mike
February 5th, 2011, 12:25
I just installed the 1.1,but have still
very long load times.
Is a fix for that out?
Thank you
Michael

Milton Shupe
February 5th, 2011, 12:53
Mike,

The Lite version is still a large aircraft in MB to load. Although the models are light, and the textures reduced, the panel and sounds lighter, that package still adds up to about 70MB. Load times and performance are relative, but if you have sufficient RAM and free space on the hard drive, and a reasonably new computer, you should not have an issue. If you do, there may be some incompatibility with the textures or sounds and your hardware.

You can do some general isolation tests.

Set up some panel, sound, and texture folders to test with. These can be empty or the cfgs can alias to a default aircraft like the Cessna 172.

Replace one folder at a time and test. Determine if each makes a significant improvement in load times.

Once you determine which folder is causing the issue, let me know here and I will look into the cause.

It would help to know your system hardware specs, Operating system, and video card.

I just realized you are in FSX. It will be slower, but maybe we can speed it up a bit after tests.

big-mike
February 5th, 2011, 13:04
Hi Milton,
when loading any AT-11 it will least nearly one mimute,
all the other aircrafts i have are there in a few seconds.
My Specs:I7 975oc.4gHz,MSI 285GTX Hydrogen----CPU+GPUwatercooled,
6GB DDR3-RAM Mushkin RedLine 6-8-6-18.2x300GB VelociRaptor HDD,one only for FSX+ACC nearly120GB free space.
It`s not a big thing with the Load times and now i know why as you`ve explained above.
Michael

Milton Shupe
February 5th, 2011, 14:12
Hi Milton,
when loading any AT-11 it will least nearly one mimute,
all the other aircrafts i have are there in a few seconds.
My Specs:I7 975oc.4gHz,MSI 285GTX Hydrogen----CPU+GPUwatercooled,
6GB DDR3-RAM Mushkin RedLine 6-8-6-18.2x300GB VelociRaptor HDD,one only for FSX+ACC nearly120GB free space.
It`s not a big thing with the Load times and now i know why as you`ve explained above.
Michael

Okay Michael, thank you for the specs. Your system is as least as fast or faster than mine. I have the same load times in FSX, 60 secs for the lite version, 70 secs for the standard 32-bit textures version with the heavier sounds and models.

FSX was to not built to optimize on the FS2004 mapping styles and in fact, FS2004 techniques detract from FSX efficiency. The AT-11 is actually very inefficient in its mapping and textures for FSX. Fortunately, after loading and cycling the views, I can get 25-28 frames per second and that is acceptable to me for testing. I do my flying in FS2004 so that is where I do the modeling. Hopefully, after loading, your frame rates will allow you to enjoy the aircraft.

Kind Regards

fleurdelys
February 6th, 2011, 05:06
[I'm planning for a flight of 3 French versions which I had mentioned in my delirium as having been sent to France along with their order of Curtiss H-75s...
. FRANCE '39 will be a civil version used as a liaison aircraft (appareil de servitude) for a squadron. Since it is 1939, this plane has not been painted yet with camo colours.
. FRANCE '40 could be an aircraft used for navigation training and would be fitted with the bubble top.
. FRANCE '41 would be flying under the Vichy Government colours and fitted with a turret, what else.]

As a follow up on my request yesterday and since the takers are not crowding in at the door to answer my plea for a little help, I've opted to let loose again with my imagination and have made some changes to the next "what ifs..."

There will be 4 planes involved instead of 3; the first ('39) will be as mentioned but will be taken up in ('41) with the Vichy colours (see progress pics). The second one ('40) will be a Turret version which will be camouflaged for the fighting in the Battle of France. It will then be recuperated with the last project ('42) also under the Vichy colours and camo.

Should there be some simmers with enough expertise on this french period of WWII who would like to submit some input in these projects, he may still do so as I go along until the release date...

Cheers,

Fleurdelys

big-mike
February 6th, 2011, 06:29
"Okay Michael, thank you for the specs. Your system is as least as fast or faster than mine. I have the same load times in FSX, 60 secs for the lite version, 70 secs for the standard 32-bit textures version with the heavier sounds and models.

FSX was to not built to optimize on the FS2004 mapping styles and in fact, FS2004 techniques detract from FSX efficiency. The AT-11 is actually very inefficient in its mapping and textures for FSX. Fortunately, after loading and cycling the views, I can get 25-28 frames per second and that is acceptable to me for testing. I do my flying in FS2004 so that is where I do the modeling. Hopefully, after loading, your frame rates will allow you to enjoy the aircraft."

Milton,
when one AT-11 is loaded i have no problems with FPS.
Maybe 1-2 Frames less,but i don`t count them.
And yes----i enjoy this aircraft!
Michael

fleurdelys
February 6th, 2011, 15:43
It is now the end of the day and after some interruptions with house chores, I finally made some convincing Vichy colours based on different profiles found on the Net.

I'm not through with the first two ('39 and '41) as I'm still not satisfied with the absence of squadron markings and possibly a number to dress the ladies up a bit...:jump:

To all those who have downloaded my "What ifs..." until now, thank you as I wouldn't be doing it if you weren't there to enjoy them.

I'm joining some more pics of the almost finished France '41.

Let' go fly and make some history ... :kilroy:

Fleurdelys

Milton Shupe
February 6th, 2011, 16:35
Well, you have done some very interesting paints, and colorful too. This last one with the nacelles painted red and yellow, very interesting and challenging work there I am sure. :applause:

fleurdelys
February 6th, 2011, 20:40
Thank you Milton !

I must say that second to the pleasure of flying your plane is the paintkit that you or rather, Damian, I believe, provided which is very easy to use.

Fleurdelys

fleurdelys
February 7th, 2011, 16:59
The following pics are of the "FRANCE '40" work in progress...

Am I alone in noticing that this AT-11 would have been a good stand in for any WWII theatre with appropriate camouflage... ? :kilroy:

The flight was shot at dusk on a hot summer night.

The planes should be ready for upload in a few days.

Cheers,

Fleurdelys

fleurdelys
February 7th, 2011, 17:07
...and a few more of the aircraft coming in for a perfect three points landing...

fleurdelys
February 9th, 2011, 11:46
Bonjour à tous,

The last 4 skins of the series have just been uploaded and should be available shortly.

Enjoy... :icon29:

Fleurdelys

big-mike
February 9th, 2011, 11:50
Merci beaucoup!
Elles sont tres jolies.
Michael

Milton Shupe
February 9th, 2011, 15:56
Beautiful work once again :applause:

fleurdelys
February 10th, 2011, 06:19
Thank you Milton and Michael.

I appreciate the nice comments.

Come to think of it, there are a bunch of other "What ifs..." that have not been touched yet if I pursue this tread...

... England who received the balance of the French orders after the fall of France...
... Italy...
... Dutch Indies before the Japanese attack...
... Japan after their attack...
... and probably a host of others two numerous to name...

LoL... OK, I'll switch to "historically correct" ones from now on...

But an Italian one would have been nice with their special desert camo, no ?
Just a thought... :kilroy:

Cheers,

Jean-Robert

fleurdelys
February 14th, 2011, 04:23
[QUOTE=fleurdelys;549478]

"LoL... OK, I'll switch to "historically correct" ones from now on...

But an Italian one would have been nice with their special desert camo, no ?
Just a thought... :kilroy: "

OK ! I admit I couldn't resist this plane in a sexy Italian outfit... :icon_lol:

Based on two profiles depicting S.79s from the 283.a and 284.a Squadrons based in early 1942 in the Mediterranean area and Benghasi respectively.

For this "What if...", and for the "rivets counters among you", I've added a few more rivets on the ailerons, the flaps and elevator as there seemed to be some missing after adding all this camo.
I also made a new propwash which is a little more subdued as far as the dark spinning prop effect but a little more accented on the yellow tip of the spinner. The "prop_anim_ratio" was also changed to a slower spinning ratio which is probably more in tune with reality (but this is a question of taste...).

Note: The colour of the spinner is white and not black as in the first pic.

I should be able to upload today.

Cheers,

Fleurdelys

Milton Shupe
February 14th, 2011, 05:25
Very nice once again.

By chance did you replace the windows texture with the included FSX folder version to make them less opaque? They look very dark in your pictures.

fleurdelys
February 14th, 2011, 06:59
Very nice once again.

By chance did you replace the windows texture with the included FSX folder version to make them less opaque? They look very dark in your pictures.

Bonjour Milton,

Thank you for the compliment but now, you've got me wondering whether I could be missing on a better window texture. Not that this would make any difference for the simmers who have downloaded my "What ifs..." as this being in my shared texture folder, I have not uploaded it along with the new textures... :kilroy:

I checked and presently have two such textures :
1. Windows 65kb 2010-10-26 (22:19)
2. Windows 86kb 2010-12-11 (14:16)

I'm using the second one...

Update: Just checked the FS2004 download with the additional FSX textures and the first one should be used...
The saying that newer is not always better would seem to apply here, no ?
I will give a go to the small kb file...

Do you use one with a different date stamp and time ?

Cheers,

Jean-Robert

Milton Shupe
February 14th, 2011, 09:52
Use the first one, prepared for FSX.