PDA

View Full Version : The end of an era

OBIO
January 14th, 2011, 10:37
Way back on February 27, 2005, I bought my very first cell phone. A Tracfone made by Motorolla. A very basic phone chunky clunky phone. No camera, no texting, no web...just enough phone to make and receive calls. Paid $49.99 plus tax for it.

Well, the battery had gotten really weak in the phone. With a full charge, the battery would last long enough to make two short phone calls. As much as I loved my old Motorolla phone, it was time for a new one.

So, yesterday evening, I bought a new Tracfone. A smaller LG flip front affair. With texting, voice mail, web browsing and Double Minutes for Life. Lots or ring tones to choose from. Still no camera...I have a nice digital camera and a couple 35mm film cameras with a killer selection of lenses for when I want to take pictures...don't need a camera in my phone. Paid $15 plus tax for it at the local Family Dollar store.

I will miss my old phone, but it was time to move on. And maybe now my sis-in-law, Tina, will stop making fun of my phone.

OBIO

stiz
January 14th, 2011, 10:41
i've got a basic one, phones and texts and thats it .. they'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands! no way am i gonna pay more for extra stuff i'll never use!

Bjoern
January 14th, 2011, 11:43
8 MPix camera with HD video recording, WLAN, GPS, 600 Mhz...

wiltzei
January 14th, 2011, 12:08
Anyone in need of long-lasting phone ought to get a Nokia 3310. They last for life.

Naismith
January 14th, 2011, 13:11
2003 ditched my cell phone. Now I am a happy man.
I can go to the supermarket and make decisions as to which brand of bread to buy without resorting to calling home to ask "the Boss".
I can go to cinemas, doctors office, hospital and not look like a complete douch because I forgot to turn the danged thing off.
I no lkonger have to pay for unsolicited calls from companies selling items I never needed in the first place.
I can actually go out on business and not be reachable for hours at a time.
I can not be tracked by secret government computers ( I jest about that one ..... maybe! :kilroy:)
I am a happy man.

OBIO
January 14th, 2011, 13:17
I picked up a carry case for my new phone. It's black leather and has the magnetic flap thingie on it, which is a lot cooler than the retro 80s velcro flap on my old phone's case. I like the new flip phone...it's much smaller and does not get in the way when I have it clipped to my belt like the old phone did...which usually got clipped to the sun visor in the van and left there.

OBIO

Panther_99FS
January 14th, 2011, 13:33
No picture of the old one :ques:

rayrey10
January 14th, 2011, 13:39
No picture of the old one :ques:

Nah, it's behind one of those glass display cases in a museum with a sign that says "NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY, PLEASE" :bump:

Sorry, OBIO couldn't help myself! :bump:

Trans_23
January 14th, 2011, 16:20
Nah, it's behind one of those glass display cases in a museum with a sign that says "NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY, PLEASE" :bump:

Sorry, OBIO couldn't help myself! :bump:

Next to the top load VCR and the studded snow tires he just retired. :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Lionheart
January 14th, 2011, 16:34
I was a Jornada freak, PDA's were the thing. I had a regular flip phone. When I got the iPod Touch PDA with all that software, and learned that the iPhone was basically 'that' but with a phone and camera, I had to have one. Glad I got it.

I use that thing for so much. Every now and then, the phone on it rings, lol... (what tha...?)

Lateral-G
January 15th, 2011, 05:02
Love my Android phone..........

OBIO
January 15th, 2011, 11:19
My cell phones have been Paranoids....I am afraid someone is going to call me, so I leave them turned off LOL!

Matt Wynn
January 15th, 2011, 11:23
Anyone in need of long-lasting phone ought to get a Nokia 3310. They last for life.

Still got and use my 3310, although i have a Blackberry Curve 8900 also but thats my e-mail on the move phone :icon_lol: also got a pager work gave me.... if a phone makes calls, receives calls and can send the occasional text i'm happy... the blackberry was a present from my family last christmas i think (Time's bloomin' flown by!)...