PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted Lighting FX

stuartcox
January 14th, 2011, 00:29
How do I get rid of these annoying light chains appearing instead of smoke textures?
It only happens with dusk/dawn settings, and it doesn't matter what smoke effect I use.
The smoke settings are in the light section of the cfg, but the same appears with a separate [smokesystem] entry.

Motormouse
January 14th, 2011, 01:46
There's a little more info on this over at cbfsim; IIRC Dave Garwoods' Hawker Hunter suffered same, and it was tracked down to a combination of a microsoft 'bug' interacting with particular graphics cards and drivers.

Its generated by the program by the same mechanism that generates 'condensation trails' at altitude; and as you've noticed only happens at dawn /dusk .... annoying; very!!

ttfn

Pete

Desert Rat
January 14th, 2011, 02:51
I once saved a quote from a member, but forgot to save their name :isadizzy:

never did try it though, might help?

It may have something to do with one (or both) of the exhaust and heat effects that you are using. There is a parameter inside the effect file (open with Notepad) which is called Faces (I think, I am not near my FS computer right now). If it reads 1,1,1 then try and change that into 0,0,1 and see if that helps.

Jamie

stuartcox
January 14th, 2011, 03:30
I once saved a quote from a member, but forgot to save their name :isadizzy:

never did try it though, might help?

Jamie

That sounded like a quick and easy solution...
But unfortunately I do not have a file called 'faces 'in my effects folder!
Where did that come from? I would like to know.

Edit: OK, you meant the actual FX file, not the FX folder! I will give it a try...

SC

Milton Shupe
January 14th, 2011, 04:00
The SDK has this to say about the Face statement:

Face=1, 1, 1 The direction that the particles face. Pitch, bank, and heading are the constraints for the particles’ facing movement. These are on/off switches because the particles either move in the corresponding direction, or they do not.
To have the particles face you, use 1,1,1. If one of the values is 0, then the particles will be constrained in the corresponding axis. To have the particles remain perpendicular to the ground but still turn and face you, use 0,0,1.

It is obviously related to engines ... and it seems to have a reflective or specular quality. Also initially seems to be similar to the sun or camera lens glare. What was the temperature? Altitude? Was Smoke on - "I" key? What engine smoke effect is used? What is its lifetime say in teh effect?

stuartcox
January 14th, 2011, 06:13
Thanks Milton, I will keep your advice in mind.
Even though I don't understand half of it, I will give it a go!
Nothing to lose..

Thanks, SC