PDA

View Full Version : New Guy here, You guys are the wizards - sending up a red signal flare - help!

DvlHownd
January 12th, 2011, 23:36
I've been run running a pretty much stock CFS2 with lots of extra planes, DoA, nibbo's effects and a few other nit-noid add-ons for a while. All was good until I decided to try and add the Royal Australian Air Force Campaign along withMask Rider's Solomons scenery, and Lindsay Watts tree scenery (along with all the assorted required you-need-this-and-you-need-that files). Things went pretty much south from there. While I have all the bunkers, hangers tress, etc. that look great right around the airfield I launch from, the rest of the world looks like I'm using scenery on an old TRS-80. I cannot get any ground or water texture no matter what scenery package I install. Everything on the ground outside the base is two or three shades of green squares and the water is absolutely flat. Savo Island looks like four green squares of astro-turf sitting on a monochrome blue plate. I'm sure I did something stupid and zigged when I should have zagged but I am now at a loss as to what to do outside of re-installing the whole thing. I have dropped the mdlnames.txt to 37k, pared down the airbases.dat file (which is a wonderful exercise of tedious attention to detail and comsumption of bourbon) and dumped all the filelist.dat hoping that it would help but alas to no avail. So now I turn to you wizards out there who are going to read this and say "oh, well that's simple, why didn't you do this or did you try this?" Got any ideas of where to start?

mariereid
January 13th, 2011, 01:45
First off welcome aboard, DvlHownd. You are right about this place, we are blessed with many guys who really know this sim inside and out. I'm sure one of them will know exactly where you took a wrong turn.

I installed that campaign, and it was a bit of an ordeal for me, but, man it was worth it! Rami and other great campaign builders really do a lot of research and put a lot of time into their work.

Did you happen to use Rami PTO install guide? You can find it under Dvslats works in the CFS2 archive.

If you use Rami's Master PTO airbase dat, you should be fine. It's takes care of just about all the PTO bases. I do not have any install that does not include it.

Hang in there, I'm sure one of the guys will have an answer about your textures. It sounds like something you can fix. Don't scrap the install! Good luck:salute::ernae:

Jean Bomber
January 13th, 2011, 02:50
Hi DvlHownd and Welcome !

that look great right around the airfield I launch from, the rest of the world looks like I'm using scenery on an old TRS-80. I cannot get any ground or water texture no matter what scenery package I install. Everything on the ground outside the base is two or three shades of green squares and the water is absolutely flat. Savo Island looks like four green squares of astro-turf sitting on a monochrome blue plate. I'm sure I did something stupid and zigged when I should have zagged but I am now at a loss as to what to do outside of re-installing the whole thing.

the green square show that some textures are missing somewhere, I don't remind of how to install Maskrider's Salomon,but you can try this :
Copy the entire content of your cfs2/scenedb/world/texture in your main cfs2/texture .
That need to be done in first for all the new cfs2 sceneries built with G2k,that would cure these Green brown squares .

Shadow Wolf 07
January 13th, 2011, 04:25
Yes, do what Jean Bomber suggests. Are you using Pactex or some other add-on scenery textures? Pactex is much nicer than the stock tex and Maskrider (and I and most others) builds his scenery based on it for the base background textures. I myself don't care for the Pactex water textures and always put the stock water back in.

Get Cody Coyote's Mission Builder Tutorial Handbook: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=10144

Welcome aboard! :salute:

PS: If you want some better ships, try Collin's (his various Essex Class downloads are excellent replacements for the stock Essex CV with lighted decks and incredible detail): http://www.simviation.com/lair/cfs2shipyard.htm ; Usio's (mostly Japanese and very hard to sink): http://www.geocities.jp/usio_no_ibuki/index.htm ; Virtual Navy (VN) and some of the others in the library here at the Outhouse. If you want to replace the stock ships with any of them, the process is simple and we would be glad to help you.

DvlHownd
January 13th, 2011, 11:13
Hi DvlHownd and Welcome !

the green square show that some textures are missing somewhere, I don't remind of how to install Maskrider's Salomon,but you can try this :
Copy the entire content of your cfs2/scenedb/world/texture in your main cfs2/texture .
That need to be done in first for all the new cfs2 sceneries built with G2k,that would cure these Green brown squares .

See? You guys are the Wizards! That was exactly what the issue was. I'm back up and going with a solution provided in just 3 1/2 hous from time of original post. Wow! Thank you very much Jean Bomber!:jump:

Shadow Wolf 07 - I think I'll give those Essex CV's a try now that my confidence has been restored.

Thanks guys! I'm impressed.

DvlHownd

mariereid
January 13th, 2011, 12:11
Sometimes, the gurus are even faster, bless 'em!:salute::ernae: