PDA

View Full Version : Things babies born in 2011 will never know

rayrey10
January 7th, 2011, 10:12
http://www.moneytalksnews.com/2010/12/29/30-things-babies-born-in-2011-will-never-know/

Just read this article and it's weird to think how technology changes from one generation to next, and the following generations only read about it or see it in a museum.

A few years ago I borrowed my brother's work truck to move some stuff. My younger son, at the time he was around 8, gets in and asks me what that "thing" on the door is. It was the was the crank/lever for the window. He had never seen one because all of the cars that he had ridden in had power windows.

***on a side note, somebody needs to bring back the little triangle windows that used to be in front of the big window. You could get air into the cab without all of the wind noise**

Another interesting thing is how the "travel agent" is almost none existent due to the internet. I remember accompanying my parents to the travel agent to buy plane tickets to go on vacation and they would print them out and issue the tickets at the their office. Now you definitely don't need a travel agent, and only need a boarding pass.

Bjoern
January 7th, 2011, 10:34
Technology - ain't it awesome? :d

stiz
January 7th, 2011, 11:47
theres always one major error with these types of articles that refer to electronics .. *takes the battery out* o noes its dead!! :icon_lol:

Bone
January 7th, 2011, 12:09
I disagree with the demise of the watch, but everything else is fair game.

Kiwikat
January 7th, 2011, 12:14
I almost have to disagree with the books too. Every time I drive past Barnes and Noble the place is packed, sometimes to the point where there is not a single parking spot left. That can't possibly be because people aren't reading paper books anymore...

I'm about to pick up my new Entity Framework (paperback) book and start reading it! :jump:

andersel
January 7th, 2011, 18:55
The apparent premise of this article, from both philosophical and a technological points of view, seems to be that if you can do something you should. Not so. Example: Sure, I carry a cell phone. But it's not a smart phone. And I can turn it off. And they have yet to invent the phone that I cannot ignore (or unplug). I guess if you choose to be a slave to rapidly advancing technology, and willingly ignorant of the advantages of older modes of communication, then that's the way your life will evolve. I hope that the children of 2011 (and the future) will be able to use what is the best of the modern world while acknowledging (and employing)the best of the past. LA

Naismith
January 7th, 2011, 21:47
I almost have to disagree with the books too. Every time I drive past Barnes and Noble the place is packed, sometimes to the point where there is not a single parking spot left. That can't possibly be because people aren't reading paper books anymore...

I'm about to pick up my new Entity Framework (paperback) book and start reading it! :jump:

I agree wholeheartedly, there is nothing to substitute the feel of holding a book and reading. Even the Kindle whilst OK in its way just does not have that comfy feeling. Furthermore, I always seek out the hardback if at all possible.

Matt Wynn
January 7th, 2011, 23:46
I agree wholeheartedly, there is nothing to substitute the feel of holding a book and reading.

lets not forget that new book smell :icon_lol:

i'm with Bone, watches.... heck no, they ain't going nowhere... i just added to my aviation themed watches (got 2 Blue angels ones and a Red Arrows one, if anyone knows of any good ones let me know ;) ), as for the rest i agree somewhat. Heck i still have days where i avoid modern tech, i still love using 35mm cameras... old phones that only text and make calls (Current is still an old Nokia 3210)... and watch videos, most of my aviation films are on VHS, so i still use that tech regularly, but only because half the stuff you can't get on DVD, and an even smaller percentage on blu-ray...

i talk to my cousins now about when i was a lad and it's a case of "i remember when...", you talk about something and their reply ends up as "Whats that?", like i talked to one the other day about minidiscs and cassettes.... his face was just blank :icon_lol:

ananda
January 8th, 2011, 00:50
Starting handles :running:

Matt Wynn
January 8th, 2011, 01:35
Starting handles :running:

ahh the good old wrist-breakers :icon_lol:

Milton Shupe
January 8th, 2011, 08:20
And really, how many Triumph Bonnevilles and BSA's do you find today with a kick starter, or even a Harley. Loved them.

Daveroo
January 8th, 2011, 09:10
two things...my dad and i were talking about wanting a car with "wind wings" how nice it would be to have them back...miss them on the old 1969 ford work truck..and my nieghbor had his BSA out yesterday afternoon and was playing in the mud at the tracks....my god the sound of that bike broought back a flood of childhood memories...what a wonderfull sound....

only time i had any sort of wrist injury up until i had my accident (ok my human crash)....we restored a 1914 buick hose wagon ( auburn citys first frie truck)and you have to hand crank it......and talk about "cranky".......OWWWWWWWW:wiggle:

Cazzie
January 8th, 2011, 09:56
You know, sometimes I wish a huge solar flare would render every satellite in space inoperable, so people would be forced to actually get off their duff and really get something done.

Bad mood, being with an ailing mother all week and feel like I have pneumonia myself.

Caz

HighGround22
January 8th, 2011, 10:24
Yep, I'm with Bone: watches'll be around for a good while yet, I'm certain.

"Wind Wings". Yeah, around here, they were known as "No-drafts" since they deflected the car's slipstream incursion at high speeds. Maybe best of all, they could be cranked-out past the 90-degree to scoop air *in*, at low speeds (in slow traffic on hot days), Wonderful devices; always missed them.

HouseHobbit
January 8th, 2011, 11:26
And really, how many Triumph Bonnevilles and BSA's do you find today with a kick starter, or even a Harley. Loved them.

I don't miss kick starts.. Ever had a Trumiph fall through and give the famous Trumiph
Bang to the back of your leg.. I have it SUCKS..
Rode a TR-6 1968 several years, that is after I corrected all the bad English engineering..

You know, the high speed wobble, which will get you killed, and the electical system that never worked(went solid state with mine)..

I do see the need for kickers, if the battery dies, good to have a back up, or start pushing....
And looking for a hill to go down to get started again..

But the newer bikes will not even run without a good battery to complete the connections..
The computers that run many New bikes require a Good battery..
BUMMER