PDA

View Full Version : A little help with CFS2 and Windows 7.

PomBee
January 6th, 2011, 03:44
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some advice re-Windows 7. I'm having issues with add-on aircraft failing to appear, or appearing in the free flight list, but not starting up. The basic game runs beautifully in Windows 7, so that's fine. I thought that it might be a permissions thing, but I'm logged on as an administrator, with full permissions. Any help or suggestions would be very welcome, as I'm not very "computer-savvy".

Cheers,

PomBee.:ernae:

mariereid
January 6th, 2011, 05:00
Do you have to turn your user accounts off? I'm not computer savy at all!:ernae:

Grettir
January 6th, 2011, 06:00
Even though i run W7 on Admin Acc. i still had to right click on the CFS2 folder (where it is
installed) and change security settings and allow full control for ..user-name..
Only after that did any editing stick and all the addon candy show up in game.
Hope this helps.

simonu
January 6th, 2011, 06:47
It is because old programs like CFS2 write to files inside the "program files" folder.
In win7, both Users and programs need permision granted by the system administrator to do this.
Whilst it may seem a pain in the proverbial to have to set permissions for your self and your games, it is a good security stragegy.
An alternative (not verified) method would be to create a "My Programs Files" folder inside the Users\"Your name" folder and install CFS2 and all your related stuff there.

Devildog73
January 6th, 2011, 16:09
Or, you can install CFS2 by custom install in a completely different folder on the root C:\ away from the Program Files (X86). I have my SWPac install in its own folder and run as administrator and it works fine. AND, (important) make sure all sound files are NOT aliased to any other aircraft. D/L and install the add on sounds for you engines from the libraries. You will have to do this on your desktop though, Windows 7 even with the UAC off and the permissions set as administrator, does not like you messing with exe, cfg, txt, or any other files, except on the desktop. There is probably a way around that also, I just don't know it yet.

demorier
January 6th, 2011, 22:18
I had the same problem with Vista 32 bit. Find your "cfs2.exe" file, right click and set it to run that file as admin. All my mods worked then.

bearcat241
January 7th, 2011, 02:57
....AND, (important) make sure all sound files are NOT aliased to any other aircraft. D/L and install the add on sounds for you engines from the libraries. You will have to do this on your desktop though, Windows 7 even with the UAC off and the permissions set as administrator, does not like you messing with exe, cfg, txt, or any other files, except on the desktop. There is probably a way around that also, I just don't know it yet.

WRT this matter in Win7, my workaround has been to install all favorite games and sims on a separate partition. My primary drive is 1TB, divided into five partitions: XP / 75GB, Win7 / 75GB, Downloads / 75GB, Games / 100GB and Sims / 600GB. Then there's other separate internal and external drives for storing backups and download archives. I have over 25 sims and all their supporting, third-party programs installed on the SIMS drive. UAC in Win7 never interferes with my sim related activities, except where a utility isn't compatible with the OS.

PomBee
January 7th, 2011, 04:04
Thanks, Guys. I'll try these suggestions out today.

As far as engine sounds go, I make a point of installing the appropriate engine sounds in each aircraft as I add them.

I think that I might have to try actually learning about Windows 7 instead of just guessing!!

Happy New year to you all,

PomBee
January 11th, 2011, 04:55
Hi Guys,

Here's where I've got to with my computer issues.....

I can get the aircraft to appear in the free flight menu, but they don't start up. I don't get any error messages, CFS2 just sits there doing nothing! The only aircraft that start up are the originals, and FS aircraft that have gone through MK-MDLC for conversion. With these, I sometimes have a problem that means I can't select any view other than the 2D cockpit!

I forgot to mention in my original post, but I run CFS2 from an external HD. I have no problems with this when using XP.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

braveheart77521
January 11th, 2011, 08:24
Hi Guys:

I just got a Windows 7 computer. I have followed your advise on how to write to CFS2, etc. However, I am having problems with my bombsight on my bombers which are activated by the GPS gauge key. It will not download and freezes all my other gauges. Everything works as long as I stay off the bombsight. The GPS wotks on my Fdg2 B-17 panel. Please advise?

Braveheart

demorier
January 11th, 2011, 16:25
Just wondering if there is a heap of 'read only' attributes in the sim files....check file attributes on *.cfg files. ??

braveheart77521
January 13th, 2011, 14:27
Guys:

I have discovered that my bombsight gauges and sight information does not show up regardless of whatever shortcut icon I use. I see the runway and plane shadow and the little processing circle in Windows7 turns black and stays until I exit the program. I thought it was my GPS icon, but the same thing happens with other icons. Could this be a video card problem? I am running my computer on a 22inch widescreen monitor. Would reducing my screen help? My wife gave me this computer for Christmas, and I am not sure of the size of the video card. Do any of you Windows7 users have any pertinent information.

Braveheart77521

simonu
January 13th, 2011, 15:24
braveheart77521,
I'm sorry I'm not sure which GPS gauge is giving you the problem.
Are we talking about a CFS2 install in the default location?

I dont use GPS so I havent encountered any problems with the gauges.

There is one in my gauge folder "GPS100A.GAU" that has an executable with it "GPS100A.EXE" ; its a visual basic program that seems to set way points for the gauge. I presume such a program requires admin permission too.

braveheart77521
January 14th, 2011, 07:28
Simonu

I have eliminated the GPS as a problem. My problem is that when I click to activate my bombsight I get a clear downward view as if looking through a glass window. None of my gauges are markings such as speed and altitude show up. There may be something in one of the gauges, so I am trying the bombsight without them. Could this be a configuration problem in the panel notepad folder? My Video card is rated 3.4 on a scale of 7.9. I appreciate all your help. This problem is driving me bonkers!

Braveheart