PDA

View Full Version : Are Games Played More On PC Or XBox, PS3 Ect?

casey jones
January 5th, 2011, 10:41
When I go to Wal-marts, Targets, Ect, I see all of these games for XBOX, PS3, but then I see only a small section for PC games...I perfer the PC.

Cheers

Casey

Terry
January 5th, 2011, 12:02
When I go to Wal-marts, Targets, Ect, I see all of these games for XBOX, PS3, but then I see only a small section for PC games...I perfer the PC.

Cheers

Casey

So do I, try Best Buy or order from Amazon, etc.

stiz
January 5th, 2011, 12:13

Cheers

Casey

better selling units = more shelf space = become more popular = gets more shelf space .... and the cicle contiunies till certain units take over the shop! :frown:

Kiwikat
January 5th, 2011, 12:18
Console gaming is more popular because it is cheaper. PC gaming used to be better though... until the more recent trend of porting games between platforms. PC games used to have extra features, especially with multiplayer.

hey_moe
January 5th, 2011, 13:05
I like the graphics on the Sony Playstation 3 and also it also does a sweet job on HD videos.

strega13
January 5th, 2011, 13:38
consoles are cheaper to buy , they do not get obsolete by new graphics card or upgrades the second you buy them and are much easier to use not requiring to pay attention to different requirement/configurations . so it makes sense that a lot more people will play games on consoles .
with multisystem versions of the games these days , the major advantage of PC gaming comes from the modding community that helps keep many programs like FS or half life going .

James
January 5th, 2011, 13:47
in many ways, consoles are not as temperamental as PCs can be. If you get a virus on your computer, it could conceivably wipe out your entire hard drive. It's pretty hard to do that with a console. But console games cannot be modified at all-the whole game is on the disc. That's why I prefer the PC, and probably always will.:salute:

warchild
January 5th, 2011, 15:14
I'm not quite convinced that consoles are cheaper..
Its true that some games are ported to both X-box and PS3 but for much part you end up having to buy one of each in order to play the full spectrum of games.. My Xbox cost me 300 dollars new, My PS3 cost me 400 dollars.. If i want to play mario or zelda, i have to buy a WII, which is another 200 dollars.. Each game on a console costs around 60 dollars unless you download it, wherein it usually ( by my experience ) costs more.. I would have to say that in my opinion, PC's are over all much less expensive to game on, BUT,, consoles are dedicated machines designed specifically for the games written for them. Your assured top graphics quality and speed, whereas with a PC your not..
I used to advise people that if they were into first person action games they should use a console, and if they were into RPG'd a PC may be the wiser choice. But any more these days, even RPGs have grown significantly in size and complexity with some of the graphics requiring top end equipment to view..

mariereid
January 5th, 2011, 15:40
My wife got the same game for pc and psp. She has the choice of a 60 inch tv with psp and a 24 inch monitor with the pc. She prefers the pc, likes the keyboard.

Gdavis101
January 5th, 2011, 20:56
I broke away from the PC a couple years ago and play most games on my XBOX 360, haven't played a first person shooter on the PC since I bought the 360..

wombat666
January 5th, 2011, 22:01
Consoles take the 'Lions Share' of the market as they are primarily aimed at the casual gamer, but for in depth simulation the PC reigns supreme.
Pam has got it right, IIRC each genre needs to be code specific and as consoles rule they are first release, much to my intense disgust I've found releases for PS3/X-Box/Wii/etc readily available but no sign of the 'promised' PC version.
:173go1:

Kiwikat
January 5th, 2011, 22:25
I'm not quite convinced that consoles are cheaper...

(etc)

You must not play very many new releases on PC then. You will pay at least 50 bucks for any new PC game too. Even if you buy 3 consoles, that is still cheaper than building an enthusiast-level (read higher end, not highest) PC. As for RPG's, it depends what ones you want to play. MMO's, a PC is better. You can't (ignoring emulators) play the majority of the Final Fantasy series on PC though. I still like playing through FF7, FF10, FFTA, and Legend of Dragoon.

I am absolutely loving Gran Turismo 5 on PS3. I got a Logitech G27 to go along with it and it is way too much fun. Even my parents bug me to play it! :mixedsmi:

Allen
January 5th, 2011, 23:51
I too gave up PC gaming. It was evey 2 years you had to put out 100 to 200 in upgrades to play the new games. For a few years I played what my Gateway500x would let me and moved on to Consoles.

Unlike some in this thread. I did not pay full price and went used and not Gamestop used. In 07, I jumped back into Consoles. I got my PS2 for $75 with 18 games, Wii at $200 8 Wii game a 21 Gamecube game that also play in it. and Xbox 360 elite 120 HDD (this was before the 250 HDD were out) for $180 and 8 games. At the time Xbox 360 elites were $400 + tax.

My total is $455.

As for "I'm not quite convinced that consoles are cheaper.." This generation of consoles has been on the market since late 2006 and are to stay tell 2015, this is a floating number but in this economy they could go longer.

stiz
January 6th, 2011, 00:39
god i hope they dont stay around till 2015 it'll ruin any takeup in major graphic advancements etc .. the console tech is what .. 5/6 yrs old now?? Just look how far graphics have come since then, from developers not knowing how to max out the system to nowadays haveing to actually cut back things so they'll work. From not being able to tell any difference between console and pc graphics you can now clearly see a massive difference in qualitly. If they drag em out for another 5 years it'll either mean that games will look the same for another 5 years, or make the PC supreme purely because the hardware wont be 10yrs old!

Allen
January 6th, 2011, 02:05
How much have you paid for your major graphic advancements? and yes I read last year that M$ would be keeping the 360 tell 2015.

Major graphics in a Consoles don't equal a best seller. From 2007 to 2009 Nintendo was wiping the floor with M$ and Sony. M$ and Sony are still trying to run down the Wii with every thing they can. The DS line is still got the PSP line whiped. Sony had a 2 year delay on the PS3 do to the fact that it "major graphic advancements" was a cost incress of 100% more to buy that a Xbox 360 at the time. Graphic advancements in the 360 is what caused RROD and E-74 in them. (Hot GPU, lead free solder and inferior cooling)

You can drool over graphic all you want but game play is where it at! Just ask M$ and Sony.

stiz
January 6th, 2011, 02:12
How much have you paid for your major graphic advancements?

bout £400 when i got a new pc :)

Major graphics in a Consoles don't equal a best seller.

that is true, but the reason why the Wii took off is that its a great party console, you just grab some people and have a laugh .. however ... how many people are still playing games made 10yrs ago compared to the amount of copies of said games sold??? :engel016:

Aviator32
January 6th, 2011, 02:15
I was about to comment on the difference between PC and console games with regard to piracy and it's effects and associations with the relative age of the gamer but I suddenly realised that console games probably don't come on cartridges any more :redf:
I'll just go back to bed.

Trans_23
January 6th, 2011, 05:47
I wish Wii would come out with a HD version. I bought the Tiger Woods golf a couple years ago. The graphics were so disappointing that I played it just a few times. I have a 55 inch HD TV so I was preparing myself to be wowed by the graphics. I should have known better since there were no HD hookups when I installed the system.
I have more fun playing tennis with the funny looking little default cartoon characters.

wombat666
January 6th, 2011, 07:02
The crux of the matter is this, if one wishes to 'Play Games' then the consoles are the way to go, if one prefers 'simulations' then the PC is king.
GT5 looks terrific on the high end consoles hooked up to a top of the line TV, but (and there is no sign of it so far) when we finally have the PC version I'll bet money that within seven days (or less) we will have mods and repaints available that would never be seen on a console.
It's all a matter of taste and choice, 'cost' is irrelevant as so many consoles are paid for in the Real World by over indulgent by parents.

XLR8
January 6th, 2011, 11:44
Has anyone put Linux on the PS3. My understanding you can use some PC software with Linux on the PS3.

nomad13
January 6th, 2011, 12:44
I gave up on PC gaming because I had to buy a new graphics card every time a new game came out. If you play a recent game on a console(I have an XBox 360), the graphics and sound are outstanding, especially via HDMI on an HD TV. The multiplayer side of the game is a whole different experience than the solo campaign(I'm mostly talking about the Call of Duty games).
Modding games has two sides; some mods make the game better, some are developed to let people cheat. Not sure why somebody would want to cheat at a computer game, but that's the way it is. Modding games is way easier on a PC; which is good and bad at the same time.
Simulations are a different deal. I haven't found any real simulation console games. Closest might be the Forza car racing games that let you modify your cars, but nothing like what you can do with Microsoft's flight simulator programs. Look at CFS2(the only game left on my computer); it is better now thanks to user addons than it was when it first came out.
Consoles and PCs; two completely different animals.

Wing_Z
January 6th, 2011, 13:55
Seems the PC platform will survive in the simulation market for a while, but "gaming" is headed to consoles.
Interesting discussion here:
http://www.simhq.com/_commentary/all_106a.html

Allen
January 6th, 2011, 14:47
bout £400 when i got a new pc :)

400 for high end dose not happen in the US of A

that is true, but the reason why the Wii took off is that its a great party console, you just grab some people and have a laugh .. however ... how many people are still playing games made 10yrs ago compared to the amount of copies of said games sold??? :engel016:

Modding has keep some old PC games going VS consoles but piracy fear has and will kill PC modding. So when it all said and done it will be about the same.

I was about to comment on the difference between PC and console games with regard to piracy and it's effects and associations with the relative age of the gamer but I suddenly realised that console games probably don't come on cartridges any more :redf:
I'll just go back to bed.

Home consoles hasn't used a cartridge since N64 (96-02 in the US of A.) The Nintendo DS line uses a cartridge that looks like a small camera card. PSPs use a Universal Media Disc (UMD), A small disk in a shell.

I wish Wii would come out with a HD version. I bought the Tiger Woods golf a couple years ago. The graphics were so disappointing that I played it just a few times. I have a 55 inch HD TV so I was preparing myself to be wowed by the graphics. I should have known better since there were no HD hookups when I installed the system.
I have more fun playing tennis with the funny looking little default cartoon characters.

I hope that "Wii 2" would fix this but I'm thinking that "Wii 2" will have graphics around what the 360 is now. I'm sure after how well the Wii did Nintendo will keep the cost down again for the next one as well and cuting out the high end graphics is how they did it.

The crux of the matter is this, if one wishes to 'Play Games' then the consoles are the way to go, if one prefers 'simulations' then the PC is king.
GT5 looks terrific on the high end consoles hooked up to a top of the line TV, but (and there is no sign of it so far) when we finally have the PC version I'll bet money that within seven days (or less) we will have mods and repaints available that would never be seen on a console.
It's all a matter of taste and choice, 'cost' is irrelevant as so many consoles are paid for in the Real World over indulgent by parents.

There will be no PC. GT5 is "Only on Playstation" there will be no real port to PC.

Kiwikat
January 6th, 2011, 14:58
There will be no PC. GT5 is "Only on Playstation" there will be no real port to PC.

As it should be! :engel016:

Willy
January 6th, 2011, 16:37
To be honest, very few games interest me and I really don't have much use for a console. For me, the PC is the best entertainment system.

Quixoticish
January 7th, 2011, 00:48
To be honest, very few games interest me and I really don't have much use for a console. For me, the PC is the best entertainment system.

That's my problem though, the PC never feels like an entertainment system.

On the PS3 it's in the lounge and uses decent controllers as well as being used as a blu-ray player/media centre/audio system/ and also gets used a lot at parties with fun multiplayer games like Buzz and those based on the Move system. It's all there, cohesively working in unison with the 1080p TV and 5.1 speaker system and it does exactly what you want it to when you want it to 100% of the time.

For me the PC is a tool that I use daily for my job, and very occasionally to play massively multiplayer games or FSX. But for an enjoyable way to spend my leisure time doing a variety of things the console is definitely the way to go.

kilo delta
January 7th, 2011, 04:21
That's my problem though, the PC never feels like an entertainment system.

On the PS3 it's in the lounge and uses decent controllers as well as being used as a blu-ray player/media centre/audio system/ and also gets used a lot at parties with fun multiplayer games like Buzz and those based on the Move system. It's all there, cohesively working in unison with the 1080p TV and 5.1 speaker system and it does exactly what you want it to when you want it to 100% of the time.

For me the PC is a tool that I use daily for my job, and very occasionally to play massively multiplayer games or FSX. But for an enjoyable way to spend my leisure time doing a variety of things the console is definitely the way to go.

You should consider getting/building a htpc,then. :)

I'm running a Dell XPS420 as a htpc for the past couple of years connected to a large screen hdtv and a 5.1 surround sound system. I'm running the freeware Mediaportal front end (in preference to Win7's Media Center)with my entire collection of dvd's and audio cd's ripped to 3 high capacity hdd's.
It does everything I need from a htpc...browse internet (using a wireless Logitech Dinovo keyboard),record/play back tv shows, full dvd/audio cd library streaming to all my other pc's/notebooks, PC gaming including old skool MAME emulation, plays Bluray, HD-DVD and DVD's, runs Karaoke software (for booze fuelled fun after a night out on the tiles!). :)

wombat666
January 7th, 2011, 04:43

Console 'Games' are not 'Ported' to the PC, as stated earlier, new code is required for each format.
GT5 for PC is scheduled to be released 'sometime' early this year, not that I'd be rushing to buy a copy, compared to NFS 2 it is better suited to the console 'Gamers' rather than real 'Simulations', despite the eye candy, GT5 is rather flawed when it comes to realism.

stiz
January 7th, 2011, 09:37
400 for high end dose not happen in the US of A

wont do it here either, my pc was mid rangeish when i got it. However its run everything i've thrown at it this year, allthough its starting to struggle with the newer games now.

Gdavis101
January 7th, 2011, 22:09
Having to upgrade constantly was my reasoning to go to the 360.. I still do simulations on my PC's, and have no real plans to upgrade them anytime in the future, they do what I want them to do and when I want to play a game like Black Ops I turn on my 360.

Kiwikat
January 7th, 2011, 23:26
compared to NFS 2 it is better suited to the console 'Gamers' rather than real 'Simulations', despite the eye candy, GT5 is rather flawed when it comes to realism.

I sure hope you're joking! I assume you are because of the smiley at the end... :icon_eek:

:mix-smi::mix-smi::mix-smi:

If not, Imma send this owl

<-----

after you!