PDA

View Full Version : christmas lights and airplanes

Daveroo
January 1st, 2011, 17:57
if you are,or are a wannabe ( me) a real world pilot,and you and your family enjoy driving around and looking at christmas lights,what aircraft would you use for a family of 8-10 people including the pilot and co-pilot....id want either a quest kodiac,twin otter,or a brittan norman islanderBN2.

my dad says he would just split the family up and do a couple a night and use a 182,,,or his dream plane <a 195,,,,one of which he almost bought last summer just because he wanted one..hes not a pilot and it was part of an estate sale and was cheep ..but was in exccelent shape...

if i split my family up like he wants..id want a 210 or 206

i had a chevy van back in the day..had 6 captains chairs and a coach..was longer than normal...with large windows..was great for viewing the lights...and we all fit back then....was a 3 axle rig....was alot of fun...oh well...but weve also gone looking at lights in a 39 packard 7 pass sedan,34 dusenburg duel cowl phaeton.and a 27 essex sedan

SADT
January 2nd, 2011, 00:48
I would use a Douglas DC-2, its the perfect airliner, with 14 seats it fits my extended family with room to spare, and it is low and slow. :wavey:

Or I maybe a Scottish Aviation Twin Pin :)

mfitch
January 2nd, 2011, 17:44
The problem with using a plane for this (I thought about it this season) is that the stall speed of most planes is freeway speeds. Also in a "congested area" one has to remain 1000 feet above the highest point within 2 nm radius which is also not great. It would be easier in rural areas. My father-in-law has a setup visible from the air (I am currently there), but their house is inside military air space (NAS Whidbey Island).

pilottj
January 2nd, 2011, 20:30
A PBY would be nice and slow, and has those great side blisters for viewing. It would also give you the option of landing in water areas where there might be nice light displays on bridges and ships...like maybe landing in the bay during Fleetweek or somthing :)

OleBoy
January 2nd, 2011, 20:41
I don't mean to be on the downside of the topic, but why not just stay home and have everyone gather round the puter. Then load up Google Earth. It would be about the same effect..lol :isadizzy:

I'll show myself to the door :running:

SADT
January 2nd, 2011, 20:57
The problem with using a plane for this (I thought about it this season) is that the stall speed of most planes is freeway speeds. Also in a "congested area" one has to remain 1000 feet above the highest point within 2 nm radius which is also not great. It would be easier in rural areas. My father-in-law has a setup visible from the air (I am currently there), but their house is inside military air space (NAS Whidbey Island).

not a Twinpin