PDA

View Full Version : re-opened the paint shed....

Desert Rat
December 31st, 2010, 14:23
after reminiscing about the dH-88 Comet in the model thread, almost ordered a couple of Airfix kits. Instead decided to just paint the virtual model instead (mistakes are easier and cheaper to rectify, lol).

Early WIP shots, will upload when finished if anyone is interested.

Jamie

Desert Rat
December 31st, 2010, 14:28
more...

...and the true identity of K-5084 is given away by the alpha in the next shot...

considering leaving it in?

Jamie

Hurricane91
December 31st, 2010, 15:10
Very nice JD!

edmoore235
December 31st, 2010, 22:47
Very good. Much interest from my viewpoint. Love your work in progress. You may consider some the repaints of the DH-93 Don..... Target Tug and Camoflague paints. Take care.

Ed

OBIO
December 31st, 2010, 23:14
The Dh-93 Don does not take camo paints well at all. Too many areas of shared texture mapping. When I did paints for the Don, I found that it works best in solid colors or with one color on top and another color on the bottom.

Is that the FS9 stock DH-88?

OBIO

Desert Rat
January 1st, 2011, 01:24
Is that the FS9 stock DH-88?

It certainly is, wasn't aware there was any other version. If there was, might be a better repaint candidate, like the Don, uses shared textures and decals, so variations are very limited. Camo would most certainly be a no-go.

Jamie

magoo
January 1st, 2011, 08:18
Very attractive looking. It was G-ACSS that went to the RAF and became K-5084? I know for certain that the French Government actually bought two of them, F-ANPZ, and G-ACSR/F-ANPY. Hard to find visual details...

Desert Rat
January 1st, 2011, 11:40
Yup, it was Grosvenor House that became K-5084, then went on to race again as 'The Orphan', 'The Burberry' and finally the 'Australian Anniversary'. Gonna try to do them all.

Of the remaining 4 built G-ACSP/'Black Magic' became 'Salazar' of the Portuguese government.
G-ACSR (the green one later named 'Reine Astrid') became F-ANPY (again a late moniker of 'Cité d'Angoulême IV' was added) of the French government along with a new build, F-ANPZ, which was tested by the Armee de l'Air with the military serial E-109 (not proven, but certainly ends in 09)

Last one was G-ADEF 'Boomerang' built for record-breaking attempts, never managed to though. Looks like a nice scheme though. Not sure how possible they will be due to mapping issues, plus some interesting 'what-if's' I had in mind will almost certainly not be possible.

There is a decent site that has pics of pretty much all 5 in every attire, http://www.xs4all.nl/~tozu/dh88/index.htm for those wanting a look-see.

Jamie

huub vink
January 1st, 2011, 13:34
I like it Jamie, please upload it!

Huub

wbuchart
January 1st, 2011, 13:59
I like it Jamie, please upload it!

Huub

Ditto, please kind sir......

Desert Rat
January 1st, 2011, 14:12
Thanks Huub, means a lot coming from you, happy new-year to you. :ernae:

Work continues on the first bmp, dunno if it will pan out though, the decal areas are a nightmare, lol.

first pic shows progress, second the probs caused by decals

How does everyone find the default model to fly? I've been tinkering with the dynamics some, she's down as a fixed pitch prop, but in reality she had a '1-shot' variable pitch, I've added this to mine as for the sake of reality I can stick to that rule. My only probs seem to be I can't reach top speed yet, but still tinkering.

Jamie

PS. Some period scenery and AI would be nice for the race, anyone aware of any?

Corsair 14F
January 1st, 2011, 15:15
Very interesting effort, tracing and reproducing the liveries of as many Comets as possible. The plane is so beautiful that i will surely hace some place in my hangar sor a few more. BTW the "Reine astrid" in British Racing Green already exists an can be found on Avsim I forgot the name of the author, i'm afraid. I will try to see if I can collect data on the French "Comets" although i doubt they can be very interesting.

Desert Rat
January 2nd, 2011, 05:44
BTW the "Reine astrid" in British Racing Green already exists an can be found on Avsim I forgot the name of the author, i'm afraid.

comet-ra.zip by Aralez (pics below). Found it on Flightsim after the initial thread on models. It's nice but is a recolour of Grosvenor House with serials altered, it has lost a little sharpness of detail in the process along with the Union jack on the vertical (probably due to odd colour changes). I may do it last if I still have the gusto, adding in the name an UJ.

The French ones were bright red, and at some point had pennants painted on the vertical, now do I do pre and post versions for each, plus the Armee de l'Air version. It's gonna add up to a fair few to do, lol.

cheers,
Jamie

Corsair 14F
January 2nd, 2011, 08:24
Jamie, some interesting info here: brief history of all 5 comets one was flown by famous French pilot Jean Mermoz. http://www.xs4all.nl/~tozu/dh88/index.htm cheers, Richard

Desert Rat
January 2nd, 2011, 09:37
There is a decent site that has pics of pretty much all 5 in every attire, http://www.xs4all.nl/~tozu/dh88/index.htm for those wanting a look-see.
Jamie

:d

found some great photos here,

http://www.flightglobal.com/imagearchive/Image.aspx?GalleryName=Photo%20Archive/1930s%20Civil&Image=FA_10418s

worth going through all 100 odd of them, some great old pics of the race and other stuff.

Jamie

edmoore235
January 2nd, 2011, 10:21

Thanks. Viewed all the photos, just very cool. Do you think either of the above paints could be adapted to the DH-88?

Ed

Desert Rat
January 2nd, 2011, 12:19
Ed,

love those black and yellow striped birds. Ged's Fairey Battle is great in that scheme, I also painted his Skua like that too. :d

I will get the real world paints done first, I did plan on doing some what-if's after that. If you click on the link it has some interesting 'what-if's too, not sure Grosvenor House II should've been a Spitfire, A Mossie would be more fitting. :d Maybe nother project for another day.

Jamie

Desert Rat
January 4th, 2011, 15:32
due to the complex mapping of mirrored everything, wings, fuselage, nacelles, etc. this is taking longer than anticipated, lol. Many mirrored surfaces have a 'decal' to unmirror the markings. If you could see my paint-kit, you'd understand (I plan to upload it when done).

Anyway, making progress...

Jamie

Desert Rat
January 4th, 2011, 15:34
..tentative start on a couple more schemes...

Jamie

edmoore235
January 4th, 2011, 15:55
FWIW: Very cool and like it! Not sure if ya can do a lot with all the limitations with Microsoft textures.... sigh, have learned to live with mirrored logos and regs. Take care.

Ed

huub vink
January 5th, 2011, 07:30
Very nice Jamie, I'm really looking forward to these paints.

Cheers,
Huub

nazca_steve
January 7th, 2011, 18:40
Loving the paints, Jamie, especially the tugs. You know me, anything with TT stripes is a winner :) Which means the idea of doing a new Boulton Paul Defiant TT model has been floating around my head for a bit.

Keep up the work, the Comet is a beauty and the paints are making her look even better.

Desert Rat
January 8th, 2011, 10:59
She's coming along, slowly, but still moving. The mapping is causing me nightmares, I've done my best to line things up, but when you have to try to match two separate gradients by eye, it's painful, lol. Times that by several for each decal/mirrored part, :isadizzy:

I've added a new prop tex front and back plus a custom blur to match, see pics below. The spinners and props are nice and shiny now as they are in the old photos too. Ineed to adjust lines/rivets on the nose bmp, they're to big'n'bold (forgot the bmp was half the size of the main one, D'oh!) But I'm pretty much done with the external texture & kit.

:ernae:
Jamie

nazca_steve
January 8th, 2011, 14:38
Riveting is one of those tedious, but ultimately rewarding tasks...I don't envy you, perhaps this is one of the nicer, or easier, at least things about Cold War jets; smoother panelling and flush rivets! Keep up the good work, all the pain and suffering look well worth it from those screens. The gleam alone on the props and spinners is lovely. Nice alpha channeling old boy!