PDA

View Full Version : Winter season textures

aeromed202
December 30th, 2010, 10:57
Just wondering why there is no snow cover, or brown scrub either in the Tibet area and the mountain range to the North East of Khatmandu is lush green year 'round on my sim. I don't think it was that way before my PC problems. I also have scant snow in the US but haven't checked much elsewhere. Before there would be solid white everywhere. I run GE but that says there are 4 seasons plus a hard winter. Could there be missing textures? I am hesitant to try removing the GE but if I remember right I had snow before I installed it.

aeromed202
December 30th, 2010, 15:23
Well I found one culprit. Somewhere along the line the fs9.cfg got stoned and dropped two values to 0:

TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=0.000000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=0.000000

They should be something like this right?

TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=7.000000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.000000

Now the ground is white again but many mountains are still green...

Wild Bill Kelso
December 30th, 2010, 22:46
Hmmm - strange...

My terrain section goes like this:

[TERRAIN]
TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=90.000000
TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=0.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=200.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21
TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=2
TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.500000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.500000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4

But I dunno if this causes your issues...

Cheers,
Markus.

aeromed202
December 31st, 2010, 10:18
Going by the following post...

Postby JonPatch on Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:23 am
Here's a summary from Holger, taken from FSGenesis forum archives. He is referrring to parameters in FS9.cfg. If you don't know where to find or edit that file, let us know.
In order to maximize the detail/sharpness of ground textures it's a good idea to use terrain extended textures. Below is a summary of what these parameters mean and what values are possible. However, if you're using photoreal scenery (such as MegaScenery) you should turn off extended textures and reduce visibility to 30 miles or so. That is because without extended textures FS needs to load about 5000 texture tiles but with extended textures the number jumps to about 20,000!

There's still a lot of debate what exactly those parameters mean and what units they have but here's what I compiled from various sources and, IMO (!), makes sense:

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
* that's easy: ON/OFF switch to load higher res textures beyond the initial "ring", which extends to about 40 miles

TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.500000
* apparently, values can range from 0 to 9.99 and higher settings will be ignored
* extends the use of the highest detailed mips (sharper textures) within the inner circle; lower settings means less than 40 miles and higher settings up to the 40-mile max.
* changing this value doesn't seem to make much of a visible difference

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.500000
* same range of values as above
* extends the use of higher maps for the outer circle(s). Supposedly, "1.5" reaches to ~70mi and "9.9" to about 100mi
* careful!!! A setting higher than 3.9 can lead to "texture tearing" (blue slivers) in the mid- to far distance when high-res mesh is used. Some add-on mesh files - like some of mine - provide additional "buffer" mesh files, which prevent those blue slivers even at settings >3.9

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4
* range from 0 to 8
* is tied to TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS and defines the max. mip level to be used for the outer ring(s), that is the sharpness of the outer ring textures
* I never noticed much difference between 0 and 4; no changes at all when >4

In summary, the TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS parameter appears to be the one with the biggest visual influence.
Oh, and TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT apparently determines the speed or priority with which ground textures are sent for processing to the graphics card.

I sort of go by this but will try messing around a bit. Although I believe I am back to where I was as far as distance sharpness, I am still wondering what happened to the mostly white winter snow textures. I will have to take that up with Flight1. It sure is darn white around here now.

dhasdell
January 1st, 2011, 00:57
Global warming?