PDA

View Full Version : 'Just Found Out That AlphaSim Had...'

Panther_99FS
November 28th, 2008, 17:40
..an F-100 planned for FSX but decided to cancel it....:frown:

I would've loved to see an FSX F-100 with T-34C quality....oh well...:mixedsmi:

tigisfat
November 28th, 2008, 18:14
I would've loved recreating some t-birds scenes, but it makes sense. The same people attracted to the F-106 and F-105 would be buying it, and most would only buy one. Though it stinks, Alphasim no longer wants to reduce profitability by competing with itself. It seems to have done that a lot in the past for the love of creating a flood of cool aircraft. I think producing aircraft like the T-34C has increased their production time threefold.

I seem to have angered quite a few people in the old fanclub by bringing hearsay (that turned out to be true) into that C-17 thread where you probably read that.:redf::bs:

Panther_99FS
November 28th, 2008, 18:27
Well,
Only AlphaSim knows the sales figures so apparently they're doing what works sales wise :)

Shane Olguin
December 11th, 2008, 17:48
I would love to see AlphaSim do an F-100. :jump:

noddy
December 11th, 2008, 23:29
I thought in the thread in the unoffical forum, and I quote.

"The F-100 may now be back on the cards, to F-105 spec, so watch this space."

And

"About turn!

Looks like you all better get your requests in, for it seems things are returning to the ways of the past."

Has this now changed??

d0mokun
December 11th, 2008, 23:57
Indeed, the F-100 cancellation may well have been reversed so watch this space.

Though it stinks, Alphasim no longer wants to reduce profitability by competing with itself.

Not quite the case- it really is as simple as the fact that the F-106 and F-105 et al didn't sell too well, nothing more to it than that.

txnetcop
December 12th, 2008, 02:31
Count me in on that "buy list". We really need a well made F-100. I am also betting it would sell very well.
Ted

falcon409
December 12th, 2008, 03:55
Count me in on that "buy list". We really need a well made F-100. I am also betting it would sell very well.
Ted
The F-100 was the first "Operational" Fighter I worked on out of Tech School in 1966, based at Wheelus AFB, Libya. It's the one Century Series Fighter that deserves to be done in high quality, the first to fly supersonic in straight and level flight and a true workhorse during the Vietnam Conflict, yet basically ignored by developers.
I would definitely throw down big bucks to get a quality F-100, especially one with a fully functional VC. Get on the ball AlphaSim.

krazycolin
December 12th, 2008, 05:18
I, personally, love this plane... we're thinking about making one in the new year.

Panther_99FS
December 12th, 2008, 15:46

This would be quite nice...:mixedsmi:

robby88
December 12th, 2008, 17:20
I've been researching and collecting info on the F-100 too over the past year too. It's a beautiful aircraft and one that really caught my imagination as a kid some 50 years ago. I guess when it comes to aircraft such as Century series jets it's a question of effort to produce versus likely sales. I'd love to see the market for this type of aircraft growing. Good luck to AS, Milviz or anyone else if they do decide to produce an F-100.

krazycolin
December 12th, 2008, 17:44
I've been researching and collecting info on the F-100 too over the past year too. It's a beautiful aircraft and one that really caught my imagination as a kid some 50 years ago. I guess when it comes to aircraft such as Century series jets it's a question of effort to produce versus likely sales. I'd love to see the market for this type of aircraft growing. Good luck to AS, Milviz or anyone else if they do decide to produce an F-100.

Please contact me at colin@milviz.com

thanks,

KC

Mickey D
December 13th, 2008, 03:00

Not quite the case- it really is as simple as the fact that the F-106 and F-105 et al didn't sell too well, nothing more to it than that.

Perhaps some appropriate scenery and AI with LODs would have boosted sales Dan. eg. Like the C-5/Dover, Neptune/Roosevelt Roads, SR-71/Beale etc. etc. packages did for their respective main models. F-105 and F-106 airbases were being researched by Team SDB when we were informed that AS was going 'civvy' and wanted to dump the military airfields. Hence one of the reasons for us withdrawing our scenery.

d0mokun
December 13th, 2008, 03:07
Maybe, we'll never know eh.

Scenery or no scenery, someone who doesn't like the aeroplane or content won't buy the product- previous trend has proved that they have little effect on each other. It might be different with regards to an aeroplane driving scenery sales, though.

BR
Dan.

michael davies
December 13th, 2008, 03:43

Funny thing is, I was told AS had dumped theirs so I started to finish mine off, now its back on again ?, if I'd ignored theirs and carried on it would have been released ages ago, on, off, on, off, its enough to drive any prospective builder up the wall.

A F-100 would sell well, but three on the market is just plain silly and a waste of effort on at least two parties.

I'm like you Bruce, I'm sure between us we have more than a fistfull of prospective, started and nearly finished projects LOL, just makes it easier to jump ship to something else, it does also mean that very little gets finished LOL.

Best

Michael

Mickey D
December 13th, 2008, 03:47
Maybe, we'll never know eh.

Scenery or no scenery, someone who doesn't like the aeroplane or content won't buy the product- previous trend has proved that they have little effect on each other. It might be different with regards to an aeroplane driving scenery sales, though.

BR
Dan.

I think we both know Dan that each can compliment the other but there is no doubt that the model is the propelling force. Also previous trends do not prove what you are saying. I've still got all the records to prove otherwise. :mixedsmi:
I hear the Hurricane/Scenery package is still selling quite well for FCS. When reviewed the scenery was very well received. Perhaps that's why Team SDB was approached for a scenery to compliment the Wellington?

Mickey D
December 13th, 2008, 03:52
Funny thing is, I was told AS had dumped theirs so I started to finish mine off, now its back on again ?, if I'd ignored theirs and carried on it would have been released ages ago, on, off, on, off, its enough to drive any prospective builder up the wall.

A F-100 would sell well, but three on the market is just plain silly and a waste of effort on at least two parties.

I'm like you Bruce, I'm sure between us we have more than a fistfull of prospective, started and nearly finished projects LOL, just makes it easier to jump ship to something else, it does also mean that very little gets finished LOL.

Best

Michael

Then finish it with an AI Michael you know I'm itching to do Wethersfield LOL.

d0mokun
December 13th, 2008, 04:04
I think we both know Dan that each can compliment the other but there is no doubt that the model is the propelling force. Also previous trends do not prove what you are saying. I've still got all the records to prove otherwise. :mixedsmi:
I hear the Hurricane/Scenery package is still selling quite well for FCS. When reviewed the scenery was very well received. Perhaps that's why Team SDB was approached for a scenery to compliment the Wellington?

Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps!

Previous trends at AS did show otherwise though. Scenery sales didn't account for a large percentage of sales, nor did things correlate regularly enough to say that scenery drove aeroplane sales.

I think when a scenery is part of an aircraft 'megapack' it may well add value, yes, but I don't know how much it accounts for the sale on a whole.

As I said, if someone is interested in the aeroplane they are likely to buy it, whether there is a scenery or not. Same goes the other way- if they aren't interested, they won't buy it, regardless of whether it comes with a base or if a base is available.

That may differ elsewhere of course.

That said, I'll stop here, since this isn't the time nor the place for us to discuss these sorts of things.

michael davies
December 13th, 2008, 04:08
Then finish it with an AI Michael you know I'm itching to do Wethersfield LOL.

I'm supposed to do that 'other' AI for you LOL, it'd be wrong to attempt anything else until my head is clear and my future decided, right now, everything is in limbo and cold storage whilst I sort other issues.

Best

Michael

DennyA
December 13th, 2008, 09:22
Although I love the high-quality models AS has done lately, I'd love to see them just port over some of their FS9 military stuff to the FSX SDK. Do some minor enhancements -- enable the FSX visual effects, etc, but don't obsess on adding extra detail and so on.

I'd happily pay $15-20 each for some of these, and I'd think the dev work would be pretty minimal to just port the planes over. They could brand the budget line differently so people would know whether they're getting a $60 ultra-real plane or a $20 fun-to-fly classic.

I'd rather have a somewhat minimalist F-100 than no F-100 at all. :) As long as the FM is decent and there's a VC that doesn't scream cartoon at the top of its voice, I'm good.

falcon409
December 13th, 2008, 09:48
. . . . .A F-100 would sell well, but three on the market is just plain silly and a waste of effort. . . . . . .Best
Michael
No disrespect to Donationware, but one of those has no VC and is best suited to AI duty and one is ok, but lacking a quality VC of the type seen in the recently released Freeware F-86. What we are hoping for is a high quality Super Saber. . .no offense but neither of the current offerings are there.