PDA

View Full Version : Time to retire my laptop, and ordered a new gadget.....

Navy Chief
December 26th, 2010, 06:49
I needed something light, portable, and great for traveling. This seemed to fit my needs perfectly!!!

6C4RrCLbcLY

The price is half what it was!

NC

flaminghotsauce
December 26th, 2010, 09:08
That looks pretty cool. I'm going to go read up on it.

I bought my wife an IPad for her birthday, so it's a spoiler. I'll be hard pressed to be happy with less than an Apple product, but I really don't need that much to spend on an Apple.... Hmmm.

Hope you had a Merry Christmas!

Navy Chief
December 26th, 2010, 09:12
That looks pretty cool. I'm going to go read up on it.

I bought my wife an IPad for her birthday, so it's a spoiler. I'll be hard pressed to be happy with less than an Apple product, but I really don't need that much to spend on an Apple.... Hmmm.

Hope you had a Merry Christmas!

Yes, had a Merry Christmas. Just me, Chief, and my four kitties. A little depressing at first, but not a bad day.

Here is where I got the Archos tablet:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NEGTOC/ref=oss_product

Lionheart
December 26th, 2010, 13:16
Goodness man! That is one brilliant device. Why dont they advertise these things. I havent heard of it until now.

By way of owning a tablet, I am really enjoying my iPad. Its like a laptop in a way, but so portable and fast. Just click, on... Click again, at SOH, online, looking at a webpage. That instant. No booting up. Just 'crickie crickie' and you are doing what you want.

It makes you think... Shouldnt computers, as powerful as they are, be this fast by now?

Also, back to topic, there is a Samsung tablet out now, that is like this one, but bigger. Oddly though, with its Android OS, it doesnt have phone capabilities. Why are these guys doing this??? It could easily enough be a phone. Why not include that capability if it is 3G and has all the guts for a phone.

Enjoy your new tablet NavyChief

Navy Chief
December 26th, 2010, 13:46
[QUOTE=Lionheart;527314 Oddly though, with its Android OS, it doesnt have phone capabilities. Why are these guys doing this??? It could easily enough be a phone. Why not include that capability if it is 3G and has all the guts for a phone.... [/QUOTE]

I agree with you about it should have phone capability, but that's no big deal for me. I don't have cell phone service where I live, so the only time I use mine is when I travel.

NC

rhumbaflappy
December 26th, 2010, 16:17
In Europe and Asia, many tablet devices do have telephony ( 3G and 2G ). Samsung has a great one in the Samsung Galaxy Tab. But in the US, the Samsung Galaxy Tab does not have telephony. It has 3G data capability, and you can get a data plan, but no telephone plan for it.

Sounds like a conspiracy.

The major cell companies would like to sell you 3G data access, but not data with phone. Not on a tablet. Seems odd, but a 7" tablet would make a decent phone for people that have some vision impairment ( most people over 50 ). I don't know why they would care, because smartphones are OK.

Some users are 'tethering' their smartphones to their tablets by using 3G on their phones, and setting up a mini wi-fi hotspot for the tablets to link wirelessly to the internet. I think there is also a way to use Bluetooth this way on some devices. The cell phone providers don't like this either. But in this way, you get talk, text and data for the phone, and use that with the tablet, without paying for 2 plans ( one for the phone and one for the tablet )...

As far as calling from a tablet with a data plan, the android OS seems to block Skype, preventing it's use on most tablets... Google tablet skype.

Maybe the 3G providers are afraid we'll all start streaming reruns of the Simpson's non-stop, and the nation will grind to a halt.

Dick

Navy Chief
December 26th, 2010, 16:49
Some users are 'tethering' their smartphones to their tablets by using 3G on their phones, and setting up a mini wi-fi hotspot for the tablets to link wirelessly to the internet. I think there is also a way to use Bluetooth this way on some devices. ....k

I read something about the "tethering" thing. I don't even know what "3G" means. Main reason I wanted the tablet is for watching movies while traveling....i.e. airports, etc..., and to check email. If I understand how this thing will work, it will connect to wireless hotspots, etc..., in addition to simply connecting to my wireless network at home.

Lionheart
December 26th, 2010, 23:27
If it has 3G built into it for going online in remote area's, then it 'should' have telephone service capabilities. They usually always (now) have WiFi for use (free) at home using your wireless modem link or hot spots. 3G should only kick on when its in remote area's with no WiFi.

Yes.. Conspiracy... They are milking every cent they can from America. Tethering is common in other parts of the world, but not the USA. Tethering is so you can link your laptop to your 3G phone. They 'now' finally offer it in ATT with iPhone, but you have to sign off your data unlimited plan to something very low and expensive to get tethering.

Just not fair...

My cell phone monthly bill is hurrendous, and thats without tethering. It would be nice if a company would surface in America that can offer what others have in the rest of the world?

Kiwikat
December 26th, 2010, 23:45
It makes you think... Shouldnt computers, as powerful as they are, be this fast by now?

Shouldn't the iPad be able to do all the things a computer can do? (rhetorical question)

No, they are different devices for different purposes. Those tablets simply don't have the processing and graphics power necessary to run large and complex applications. It will be a while until tablets can replace the personal computer.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "this" fast either. Nothing in that video was very fast compared to a newish computer. If web browsing is slow on your computer, there's either something wrong with your computer or internet connection. Chrome is lightning fast on my Thinkpad, even with 10 windows open.

In fact, right now I've got every Adobe program running, every MS Office program running, several chrome windows, several other large apps like Visual Studio and SQL server, and about 70 other processes that have nothing to do with these, and FS9 running on top of all of that, and my laptop can't even feel it (Far too many icons to fit across the W7 taskbar). This is why computers and laptops are necessary. Yours should be able to do it too.

You can get computers running pretty darn fast...

Lionheart
December 27th, 2010, 03:24
Shouldn't the iPad be able to do all the things a computer can do? (rhetorical question)

No, they are different devices for different purposes. Those tablets simply don't have the processing and graphics power necessary to run large and complex applications. It will be a while until tablets can replace the personal computer.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "this" fast either. Nothing in that video was very fast compared to a newish computer. If web browsing is slow on your computer, there's either something wrong with your computer or internet connection. Chrome is lightning fast on my Thinkpad, even with 10 windows open.

In fact, right now I've got every Adobe program running, every MS Office program running, several chrome windows, several other large apps like Visual Studio and SQL server, and about 70 other processes that have nothing to do with these, and FS9 running on top of all of that, and my laptop can't even feel it (Far too many icons to fit across the W7 taskbar). This is why computers and laptops are necessary. Yours should be able to do it too.

You can get computers running pretty darn fast...

.........right..

So, like I was saying, you would think that computers would be a little more faster on bootup and instant functionality with all the resources they now have these days, such as 64 and 86 bit OS systems, 12 gigs of RAM, dual i7 chips, etc, etc, etc.

It is good to see that Apple are onto this very point already and seeking to make the new 'Lion' OS do this very thing, instant on (which is already now featured in the newest Apple Macbook Air laptops), accessibility to programs to make getting to a 'function' instantly instead of waiting 5 min's for things to warm up.

Sorry Navy Chief, I didnt mean to bring debate into your thread. Congrats on the new Tablet.

Bill

Aviator32
December 27th, 2010, 04:10
Yes, god forbid we debate anything!

iPad 2 coming next Spring

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/07/ipad_2_foxconn_to_ship_february_says_report/

There's a sucker born every minute and I guess there have been a few million born since the iPad was released in April so, time for another one!

b52bob
December 27th, 2010, 07:33

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/07/ipad_2_foxconn_to_ship_february_says_report/

There's a sucker born every minute and I guess there have been a few million born since the iPad was released in April so, time for another one!

I do kind of resent that remark. Millions of people are happy with their Ipad and I'm one of them. As for a new one coming out, we all know that within 6 months anything we buy today will be past it's sell by date.

And a happy holiday to you also.

Bob

txnetcop
December 27th, 2010, 08:53

Reuben you know it comes down to personal likes and needs on things like this. You implied that anyone who owns an IPAD is a sucker...guess what? Thousands of poor stupid scientist, doctors, lawyers, and engineers own one including me. It was gift from the doctors I did their network for. We used them to transfer patient files and important surgical information. I have been in IT for over 20 years and built hundreds of computers. IPAD was a great idea and it is evolving like any new technology. It's a good thing they were around and portable as it probably saved a few lives in surgery and disease control. By the way the devices have also been used on the Texas, Arizona and New Mexico borders, as well as several ports on the east and west coast to handle illegals and wanted felons.
Ted

Aviator32
December 27th, 2010, 09:24
Reuben you know it comes down to personal likes and needs on things like this. You implied that anyone who owns an IPAD is a sucker...guess what? Thousands of poor stupid scientist, doctors, lawyers, and engineers own one including me. It was gift from the doctors I did their network for. We used them to transfer patient files and important surgical information. I have been in IT for over 20 years and built hundreds of computers. IPAD was a great idea and it is evolving like any new technology. It's a good thing they were around and portable as it probably saved a few lives in surgery and disease control. By the way the devices have also been used on the Texas, Arizona and New Mexico borders, as well as several ports on the east and west coast to handle illegals and wanted felons.
Ted

Interesting you group engineers with scientists, doctors and lawyers!? I've been building PC's for over twenty years too, owning them for nearly 30. My brother and my sister both have iPads and it's true they are fun devices but I wouldn't take them seriously for a moment. If I walked in to my doctors surgery and he was using an iPad I'd change doctor. Tablet computers are certainly the way forwards but the iPad is a toy. But, as you say it all comes down to personal likes and needs and I like and need real computers!

Navy Chief
December 27th, 2010, 09:33
Sorry Navy Chief, I didnt mean to bring debate into your thread. Congrats on the new Tablet.Bill

Hey, no problem! The more, the merrier!

NC

Navy Chief
December 27th, 2010, 09:34
But, as you say it all comes down to personal likes and needs and I like and need real computers!

I agree, but the compactness of the PC tablet is ideal for traveling! I would MUCH rather have my desktop pc to use, but not easy to haul around!!!

NC

Aviator32
December 27th, 2010, 09:55
I agree, but the compactness of the PC tablet is ideal for traveling! I would MUCH rather have my desktop pc to use, but not easy to haul around!!!

NC

It's ideal for browsing the web while in a cafe - that's what I would like one for. Something larger than a phone but smaller and more rugged than an iPad with a slot for CF cards to slip in my camera bag and review my shots while having a coffee break. That's what I would like.

Navy Chief
December 27th, 2010, 10:03
It's ideal for browsing the web while in a cafe - that's what I would like one for. Something larger than a phone but smaller and more rugged than an iPad with a slot for CF cards to slip in my camera bag and review my shots while having a coffee break. That's what I would like.

Yes, and for traveling in the car! GPS with this unit is better than the piece of c....p Tom Tom GPS I have! Plus it will hold all my music, and LOT of movies!

NC

Barfly
December 27th, 2010, 10:24
The iPad is a fantastically practical device if you want a very portable way to carry a lot of technical documentation in .pdf format. And it's great for movies - maybe not for ripped movies with the latest iOS. Since 4.2 it won't take my ripped movies... hmm. Heard this is a problem with the new iOS for iTouch (I think it's the same). That is a real problem if you want to rip a DVD you own and play it on the iPad. Encrypted iTunes bought video will still play of course :)

Kiwikat
December 27th, 2010, 11:36
So, like I was saying, you would think that computers would be a little more faster on bootup and instant functionality with all the resources they now have these days, such as 64 and 86 32 bit OS systems, 12 gigs of RAM, dual i7 chips, etc, etc, etc.

It is good to see that Apple are onto this very point already and seeking to make the new 'Lion' OS do this very thing, instant on (which is already now featured in the newest Apple Macbook Air laptops), accessibility to programs to make getting to a 'function' instantly instead of waiting 5 min's for things to warm up.

So you're saying your only measure of speed is boot time? You obviously haven't used linux on a modern machine. It kicks the pants off any of my computers, even my ipod touch. Versions of linux have had "instant ON" features years before Apple did/are doing it. Some versions of Linux are instant on period. The lightweight versions boot instantly. A more heavyweight version like Xubuntu boots to desktop in a few seconds.

The software on tablets and cell phones are incredibly simple compared to software on computers. Mac OS and Windows are more complex than mobile OS's can imagine. Compare FSX to the mobile version of X-Plane. See where I'm going? Why does it take longer for them to boot and execute? Kind of a silly question.

If you ran programs as simple as those on your iPad on your main computer, you wouldn't call your iPad fast anymore.

If your computer takes 5 minutes to "warm up" you either have a really old computer or have computer problems.

Bill, I don't understand how our experiences with computers are so different. You must have some really bad luck with them.

The iPad is a cool machine. I've finally had the chance to use one in real life. However it does NOT replace a laptop, netbook, or desktop. Almost everyone getting one with that intent will be very disappointed, unless they are extremely light computer users that want to do only the most basic things.

djscoo
December 27th, 2010, 11:56
By way of owning a tablet, I am really enjoying my iPad. Its like a laptop in a way, but so portable and fast. Just click, on... Click again, at SOH, online, looking at a webpage. That instant. No booting up. Just 'crickie crickie' and you are doing what you want.

Have you ever tried Linux? Most distros out there are small enough to fit on a CD or flash drive, and if you boot from the drive, you can play around in the OS without having to make any permanent changes to your system.

Lionheart
December 27th, 2010, 14:52
So you're saying your only measure of speed is boot time? You obviously haven't used linux on a modern machine. It kicks the pants off any of my computers, even my ipod touch. Versions of linux have had "instant ON" features years before Apple did/are doing it. Some versions of Linux are instant on period. The lightweight versions boot instantly. A more heavyweight version like Xubuntu boots to desktop in a few seconds.

The software on tablets and cell phones are incredibly simple compared to software on computers. Mac OS and Windows are more complex than mobile OS's can imagine. Compare FSX to the mobile version of X-Plane. See where I'm going? Why does it take longer for them to boot and execute? Kind of a silly question.

If you ran programs as simple as those on your iPad on your main computer, you wouldn't call your iPad fast anymore.

If your computer takes 5 minutes to "warm up" you either have a really old computer or have computer problems.

Bill, I don't understand how our experiences with computers are so different. You must have some really bad luck with them.

The iPad is a cool machine. I've finally had the chance to use one in real life. However it does NOT replace a laptop, netbook, or desktop. Almost everyone getting one with that intent will be very disappointed, unless they are extremely light computer users that want to do only the most basic things.

Hey KiwiKat,

I hope you had an awesome Christmas and hope you have a great New Year.

Bill

Lionheart
December 27th, 2010, 15:05

I am glad to hear they are coming out with another! I have wanted front and rear cams on mine, as well as a built in phone. I would buy one in a new york second. It would be nice if it could also feature perhaps a USB port, but cam's and a phone would be good enough.

EDIT: And a bigger hard drive! lol... I filled my 64Gig up fast.