PDA

View Full Version : Desired Gauge's List

Ali Cat
December 25th, 2010, 07:18
Hi everyone. I would like to remake some CFS1 gauges for CFS2. Rather than spending a lot of time learning what gauges are most desired for an upgrade I thought I would just ask here. I have gotten to the point were making a gauge of a type I’m familiar with takes very little time. A needle type gauge, for example, if I have the artwork, takes me only about an hour. Before I move on to more "dreamy" type CFS2 projects it seems a small thing that I could contribute on this issue as there clearly seems to be a need.

It would also be best if someone were willing to do the artwork. This way I could focus exclusively on the code. I made a gauge background last night with "The Gimp" and it took me a number of hours to figure out/remember how to do some very basic manipulations. Besides, as I would like any new gauges to be visually indistinguishable from the stock CFS2 gauges, an individual with "painting" experience seems a clear need. I’m thinking that the selection of one or more painter’s for this project might best be done behind the scenes but I’m open to suggestion.

I’m also strongly considering releasing the source code of any gauges that "go into production". While I have not decided yea or nay on this option, anyone who is willing to get involved would need to be aware that I’m considering it.

Holly jolly and all,
AC

simonu
December 25th, 2010, 14:42
Hi Ali Cat,
I for one can wield photoshop5 and would be willing to devote some time, but every new project I take on steals time from the rest. I cannot promise speedy results.
I understand what you are saying about freeware I am all in favour.
One gauge I feel could use some attention is the sperry auto pilot, as far as I know we only have one which dates back to fs5.1 and some users have reported problems with this gauge crashing the sim, I have not had this trouble it may only affect vista and win7 users. I could find or create artwork for some various sperry gauges, and maybe a few others.

I'm sure others here might have some suggestions, I would only ask that before placing requests chaps do a bit of research and at least provide links to reasonable images.

Ali Cat
December 25th, 2010, 18:11
Given your expertise any contribution you can make, even part time, would be very valued. I just did some quick searches on the Sperry auto pilot and found the following perhaps intimidating post at fsdeveloper.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4622

An auto pilot sounds ambitious but I’m certainly willing to look into it. On the time issue I can proceed with coding once a particular gauge is selected using mock artwork. It’s a simple matter to copy over the bitmaps, probably just a bit of tweaking and a compile/link to yield the gauge proper. In this way there is no pressure on any who would contribute.

Bearcat, that username seems familiar … ?
AC

bearcat241
December 26th, 2010, 00:52
Bearcat, that username seems familiar … ?

Never far away...but i'm definitely not the one to turn to for what you ask.

Ali Cat
December 26th, 2010, 06:15
Not the first time my "distant" sense of humor has been missed. I meant the user name within the link above. And I left the door wide open for you!

Will contact "Moparmike" soon,
AC