PDA

View Full Version : Object library question

Desert Rat
December 24th, 2010, 14:14
was hoping a knowledgeable chap would know the answer to my question.

I'm currently rebuilding (again!!) FS, planning several installs, 1st one is a 'Test Centre' install, everything passes through it before making it's way to FS, GW, SW, etc. It will be pretty stock, so fixing it will be painless (zipped up a vanilla install for just that purpose).

What I want to do is have an object library folder, that can be used across all the other installs, a common folder so all installs can access all objects for EZScenery. Fine enough, yes?
My problem is many scenery packages come with libraries, often in the same folder as the rest of the scenery, ideally I would like to move these library bgl's to the common folder, should work?
My next problem is the textures used by the library bgls, they would have to follow the parent files into the shared folder so all installs can see them. So, does anyone know if a library manager proggy will help me achieve this aim? Don't want to balls it up at the first hurdle by charging in a trying stuff, lol.

ta,
Jamie

falcon409
December 24th, 2010, 14:44
I would think that no matter where you place the common library, as long as that folder contains a "scenery" and "texture" with all your bgl's and bmp's and that common folder is active in the Scenery Library, that it would work just fine.:salute:

Terry
December 25th, 2010, 05:05
was hoping a knowledgeable chap would know the answer to my question.

I'm currently rebuilding (again!!) FS, planning several installs, 1st one is a 'Test Centre' install, everything passes through it before making it's way to FS, GW, SW, etc. It will be pretty stock, so fixing it will be painless (zipped up a vanilla install for just that purpose).

What I want to do is have an object library folder, that can be used across all the other installs, a common folder so all installs can access all objects for EZScenery. Fine enough, yes?
My problem is many scenery packages come with libraries, often in the same folder as the rest of the scenery, ideally I would like to move these library bgl's to the common folder, should work?
My next problem is the textures used by the library bgls, they would have to follow the parent files into the shared folder so all installs can see them. So, does anyone know if a library manager proggy will help me achieve this aim? Don't want to balls it up at the first hurdle by charging in a trying stuff, lol.

ta,
Jamie

I have tried the same thing your attempting. There are many textures from different authors with the same name giving you an overwrite problem. Addon scenery objects are fairly easy to segregate but not the textures as they can be named anything. I have never gotten the major object librarys down below 10 or 15.

Desert Rat
December 25th, 2010, 10:00
Thanks guys,

was kinda figuring it would be a royal pain in the buttocks. It may be possible to rename some texs and edit the BGLs with a hex editor, that would be easy enough. Figuring out which bgls need edited for each duplicate texture would be hugely time consuming,nigh on impossible :isadizzy:

jamie