PDA

View Full Version : 'The Art Of HDR Photography'

Panther_99FS
December 23rd, 2010, 16:34
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Guides/The_art_of_HDR_Photography_part_1_01.htm

Cazzie
December 23rd, 2010, 19:16
:applause::applause:

Are you beginning to understand the reasoning more now?

The problem with HDR for me is that it is like one big Wally World, there is so much sh!t that can be done, it is confusing to know what is a keeper and what may not be.

But the more I play in it, the more I understand the functions of each different HDR program's functions. They are really a lot alike, just carrying different algorithms. Of all HDR Darkroom is the simplest and easiest to use, not o mention the fasted in layering, aligning, and processing the HDR image itself. Its tone map program includes a Tone Balancer, a Tone Enhancer, and a Tone Smoother, each with its own set of values. Plus, when one is finished tone mapping, it has a process to Photoshop (or other graphics editor of choice) for post-processing, which makes it butt simple to post-process, crop, resize, and save the format of choice.

If someone were to ask me what starter HDR program to go for, I'd have to recommend HDR Darkroom. Its browser and controls are better than Photomatix Pro IMHO, but Photomatix Pro is the program of choice if weirdness is your milieu.

Caz

Panther_99FS
December 23rd, 2010, 19:49
Cazz,
I never said I didn't understand the reasoning.....what I said is that it hasn't peaked my interest enough so far to totally dive into it.

For the last few months, I've been working hard on framing composition & taking less shots to get it "right" the first time 'round.....:wiggle:

fliger747
December 25th, 2010, 13:13
If ya look at the histeogram of any digi image, clipping can occur at either end. The classic is the inside of a building with a window or door to the outside. The interior has a proper exposure and so does the exterior. The one I have been using is the one in Photoshop, though I believe it isn't the best of the bunch.

HDR allows proper rendition of the interior and also the exterior. Continuous tone images generally don't work as well as only a limited range of tones is possible in the final image.

T