PDA

View Full Version : December 16th 1944

Shadow Wolf 07
December 22nd, 2010, 04:17
I forgot to mention the anniversary of the start of what became the largest land battle in US miliitary history - The Battle of the Bulge. It began when 29 German divisions slammed into 5 green or exhausted US divisions in a quiet sector of the front just before Christmas. Under cover of bad weather (nullifying US air power) the Nazis hoped to blitz through the weakly defended Ardennes sector like they did in 1940, cut off the 21st Army Group and force a seperate peace with the western allies. What they didn't count on was the courage, toughness and determination of the American fighting man and the US ability to quickly respond to the breakthrough.

The heroic stand at Bastogne and Patton's swift move north against the southern flank of the Nazi flank are well known but there were many smaller instances that delayed and slowed the Nazi advance until reinforcements could arrive.

I salute those veterans, who endured the hardships, enemy fire and freezing weather and stood their ground to stop the best Hitler could throw against them. :salute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDQvYE8sbc8

mariereid
December 22nd, 2010, 11:20
A great old movie about great men. :salute:

dmaloof
December 22nd, 2010, 11:33
yep, I am playing PG forever, the bulge scenario to reminisce the battle. although, i am playing from the german side. Those Tiger II's look pretty and the jadgpanther and jadgtiger.